Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Where to find NOT Made In China Coffee Maker/Press?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Where to find...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
sullivan

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Oct 10, 2008, 10:21am
Subject: Where to find NOT Made In China Coffee Maker/Press?

Hello! :)  I have been searching for months to find a coffee maker/percolator/press that is not made in China.  Most web sites no longer give country of origin (for appliances as well as most other products) if made in China, which is making my search even more difficult.  I feel like this information is being deliberately withheld since consumers are becoming increasingly aware of quality and/or safety concerns regarding China-made products. My personal experience bears this out along with ever more frequent  and disturbing safety scandals.  Of course there are obvious ethical and economical issues as well.  

When I have called to ask for particulars, I'm told that they don't know -- call the company.  When I call the  company they say the products come from 'different' places and I would have to look on the box.  Obviously, I can't do that while shopping the Internet.  

I'm amazed at how much misinformation is out there regarding the true source for many products, which can be touted as 'designed' or 'distributed' in the USA/Denmark/ other...but in fact manufactured in China.  

Thank you fellow coffee geeks for any help you are able to provide.   Instant coffee is just not cutting it...lol  (although NOT made in China, at least  :) ... but I miss the real stuff!   Please, no politics...I'm just looking for a little comraderie -- whether you all are able to help me in my quest!

Janie
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Fri Oct 10, 2008, 1:03pm
Subject: Re: Where to find NOT Made In China Coffee Maker/Press?

sullivan Said:

Hello! :)  I have been searching for months to find a coffee maker/percolator/press that is not made in China.  Most web sites no longer give country of origin (for appliances as well as most other products) if made in China, which is making my search even more difficult.  I feel like this information is being deliberately withheld since consumers are becoming increasingly aware of quality and/or safety concerns regarding China-made products. My personal experience bears this out along with ever more frequent  and disturbing safety scandals.  Of course there are obvious ethical and economical issues as well.  

When I have called to ask for particulars, I'm told that they don't know -- call the company.  When I call the  company they say the products come from 'different' places and I would have to look on the box.  Obviously, I can't do that while shopping the Internet.  

I'm amazed at how much misinformation is out there regarding the true source for many products, which can be touted as 'designed' or 'distributed' in the USA/Denmark/ other...but in fact manufactured in China.  

Thank you fellow coffee geeks for any help you are able to provide.   Instant coffee is just not cutting it...lol  (although NOT made in China, at least  :) ... but I miss the real stuff!   Please, no politics...I'm just looking for a little comraderie -- whether you all are able to help me in my quest!

Janie

Posted October 10, 2008 link

I would suggest you go on eBay and do a search for the old Wear-Ever percolators.  They were all made in the U.S. many years ago.  You may likely find some in good condition.  Also check your neighborhood tag sales, that is where I have found many.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
bpt

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: I-Roast
Posted Fri Oct 10, 2008, 1:35pm

Bodum does have some things made in China but I have several presses from them and they were all made in Europe - Denmark, Germany and Portugal are some of the countries that I remember.  For coffee makers I think that Krups is the same way.  A lot has gone to China but I still see some products made in various countries in Europe.  Unfortunately, I am not sure how you can figure it out on the net if they can't tell you.  Of course Technivorm is Dutch but you get to pay for that privilege.  What about Bunn?  Aren't those still made in the US?
SlowRain
SlowRain

Espresso: La Pavoni PRH
Grinder: Sözen Turkish & Porlex...
Vac Pot: *$-Bodum French press
Drip: AeroPress
Posted Fri Oct 10, 2008, 8:16pm

My Starbucks-Bodum French press says that the Bodum components were made in Portugal, although it's likely the Starbucks handle was made in China.

The AeroPress is made in the USA.
farmroast
farmroast
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Strega,Cremina, MCAL...
Grinder: Majors, Dienes
Vac Pot: Hellem10
Drip: CCD, and more
Roaster: 1kg. DreamRoast
Posted Sat Oct 11, 2008, 8:01am

As far as electronic drip machines I'd go out on a limb and wonder if even a Technivorm has no parts from China in it now. I'd bet ALL others including commercial co. like Bunn use many parts and components from China. So many electronic components, switches, wire and fittings are coming from there.
farm

Ed Bourgeois... LMWDP #167
please visit my blog
http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/
davebarrett

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Elektra
Drip: Curtis
Roaster: Probat L25, Hottop
Posted Tue Oct 14, 2008, 5:22am

bpt Said:

Bodum does have some things made in China but I have several presses from them and they were all made in Europe - Denmark, Germany and Portugal are some of the countries that I remember.  For coffee makers I think that Krups is the same way.  A lot has gone to China but I still see some products made in various countries in Europe.  Unfortunately, I am not sure how you can figure it out on the net if they can't tell you.  Of course Technivorm is Dutch but you get to pay for that privilege.  What about Bunn?  Aren't those still made in the US?

Posted October 10, 2008 link

Bodum does indeed manufacture some items in china.  However, we investigated them some time back.  Our shop is total fair trade, so we wanted to find coffee makers and other items that were produced under proper conditions.  Upon investigating, the president of Bodum sent us a letter outlining their practices and factories.  They do unannounced inspections in the factories that produce their products.  If I can find the letter, I can get a little more details about them.

http://www.thebestcupofcoffee.com/
sullivan

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Oct 16, 2008, 11:08am

Thank you everyone, for your input.  I'm presently researching the company names given.  I  can tell you that Bunn is no longer producing in the USA units for home use.  I don't have my notes in front of me right now so I don't want to guess at the specifics -- but also I've run into a dead-end with several other brands that were suggested as far as USA and/or European manufacturing.    It's very difficult to be an informed consumer when you have to phone or email a company for information that should be readily available.  

bpt, kudos to your shop for investigating fair trade practices and factory conditions and it's good to know that Bodum conducts regular inspections.   My avoidance of the Made In China label goes beyond these concerns however...  I've found through personal experience too many quality, workmanship and safety issues with these products and no longer wish to bring them into my home.  I realize this won't always be possible, but so far I've been able to find suitable alternatives.

Off  to check out Technivorm an Aero Press!

Janie <-------- getting real tired of instant.....(even the 'best' kind..... )
SlowRain
SlowRain

Espresso: La Pavoni PRH
Grinder: Sözen Turkish & Porlex...
Vac Pot: *$-Bodum French press
Drip: AeroPress
Posted Thu Oct 16, 2008, 9:54pm

sullivan Said:

Off  to check out ... Aero Press!

Posted October 16, 2008 link

You could probably just send Alan an email (he's the guy who invented it, and he's a regular contributor on here).  He's quite a helpful person and more than willing to answer questions.

http://www.coffeegeek.com/members/AlanAdler
pwest
pwest
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus
Grinder: Vario
Drip: TV, Moka Pot, Aeropress
Roaster: Stirred Turbo Oven
Posted Fri Oct 17, 2008, 6:23pm

The Krups Moka Brew (KMB) that I bought last year has a big "Made in France" sticker on the bottom.

-Phil
bodum_fanatic
bodum_fanatic
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Won't become one of those...
Grinder: Braun KMM30, Krups Fast...
Vac Pot: Never had much luck there.
Drip: Melitta Deluxe 132 made in...
Roaster: West Bend Poppery II
Posted Fri Oct 24, 2008, 12:58pm

Krups Moka Brew-France, Portugal.
Capresso Coffee Team and MT500-Portugal.
Krups FMF/FME-Mexico
Braun Aroma Deluxe-Czech Rep.
KitchenAid Java Studio-India
Bialetti-Italy
Some of the Bodums are made in Germany and Switzerland, others are Chinese.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Where to find...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.312088012695)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+