Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Chemex and reusable filters
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Chemex and...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
NicksMaint

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Zassenhaus
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Wagner Power Stripper
Posted Sat Jul 5, 2008, 4:38am
Subject: Chemex and reusable filters

I looked over the forums to see if there were any suggestions on using a reusable filter (ie. hemp, cotton) with a Chemex pot.  The information I found was a little dated, so I thought I would try asking again.  I use hemp filters with my Melitta filter cone when backpacking and found it to work well.  I know that the Chemex and paper filters are made to work together and use them at home, but I was wondering if anyone has found a reusable filter that works well also?   I have tried the larger hemp filters that work in larger Melitta cones, but that is not a real smooth operation probably because of the shape of the filter (made for Melitta cone).

Thanks.

~NicksMaint
 View Profile Link to this post
BoldJava
BoldJava

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Sat Jul 5, 2008, 5:50am
Subject: Re: Chemex and reusable filters

NicksMaint Said:

I looked over the forums to see if there were any suggestions on using a reusable filter (ie. hemp, cotton) with a Chemex pot....

~NicksMaint

Posted July 5, 2008 link

If you are willing to spend the dime, both a Swiss Gold and a Bodum Gold Filter (my approach) both fit the Chemex.  I admit to not caring for the taste with the unbleached filters.

http://www.kitchenkapers.com/bodum-kona-coffeemaker.html

I had a Bodum crack and just use the filter ... enjoy using it as it has a plastic lip that is great to use for lifting and dumping.

B|Java

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Flick

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia
Grinder: Pasquini
Vac Pot: Yama 3 cup
Drip: Bodum French Press, Manual...
Roaster: Iroast2
Posted Sat Jul 5, 2008, 8:28pm

I have a question what would make a chemex pot different from anything else if the filters aren't Chemex filters?
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
BoldJava
BoldJava

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Sun Jul 6, 2008, 1:23am

Flick Said:

I have a question what would make a chemex pot different from anything else if the filters aren't Chemex filters?

Posted July 5, 2008 link

Nothing, other than its size (it is larger than the Bodum  I had) and its aesthetics.  Looks sharp and always draws interest when I bring it into the dining room for guests.  As well, I pop it into the dish washer once a week and it cleans up like a dream.

B|Java

BoldJava: chemex.gif
(Click for larger image)

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
NicksMaint

Grinder: Zassenhaus
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Wagner Power Stripper
Posted Sun Jul 6, 2008, 4:20am

I have only used a Melitta cone filter and now the Chemex, so I can't say I have a great deal of experience with different coffee makers.  However, I was posing the question because I did go ahead and try one of my larger cone shaped hemp filters (which work in my old Melitta just fine).  The problem I ran into was that the filter not only adhered to the sides of the Chemex (as the Chemex paper filters do), but because the hemp filter is not as rigid as the paper filter, it conformed to the shape of the spout on the pot also.  Hence there was no place for air to escape as the coffee dripped down into the pot (the filter sort of formed a quasi seal with the water and wet grounds).  So the pot started to let air escape wherever it could as the pressure built and I ended up with coffee spurting out the sides and over the top.  Not a big deal, but sort of messy.   Like I said, I am not experienced with many coffee makers, but I believe the Chemex depends on the filter adhering to the sides of the cone and the paper filters are stiff enough to leave an air passage on the spout, therefore you don't run into the "seal and spurting" problem.  I did another trial run this morning and turned the hemp filter so the seam did not line up with the spout and it seemed to work better.

~NicksMaint
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Chemex and...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.226540088654)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+