Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Why is my coffee bitter?
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Why is my coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
newb1

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Nov 1, 2007, 2:38pm
Subject: Why is my coffee bitter?

Hi, I am new to the site and forum, but spent some time looking at the reviews of drip coffee machines and thought I could improve my second favorite beverage.  I have been using a very simple Mr. Coffee machine for about a year and it makes acceptable coffee for me.  I recently purchased a Zojirushi EC-BD15 coffee maker with the carafe and, while it looks nice, the coffee being produced is very bitter relative to my $20 Mr. Coffee machine.  I am using the same brand of coffee in the same quantity with the same bottled water.  

The only differences to me is the coffee maker and the paper filters (different brand and size).  My next step will be to buy some different filters, but I would be amazed if the filter had that much effect.  I really don't want to send this machine back unless it is truly the coffee machine causing the problem, but the coffee is not really enjoyable.

Are there any suggestions regarding what I could try or what could be the problem?
thanks!
chris
 View Profile Link to this post
Bott

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Nov 1, 2007, 8:33pm
Subject: Re: Why is my coffee bitter?

my guess is a difference in water temperature with the new machine being hotter than the old.
TimEggers
TimEggers

Espresso: QM Anita, Cappuccino Amore
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Antique McKee, Santos
Drip: Pour Over, Bodum Presses
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Thu Nov 1, 2007, 10:29pm

Hello Chris and welcome to the site!  Bitter coffee can be caused by a few things.  Most commonly itís a sign of over extraction, which can occur from the water being too hot or the grind size being too fine.  If you are using pre-ground coffee you can try changing the amount you use to make coffee.

You may also wish to try different coffee or perhaps a lighter roast.  If you aren't grinding your own you may wish to try that and for best results you should try fresh coffee (if you aren't already).

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
http://twitter.com/Tim_Eggers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TimEggers
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
newb1

Posted Fri Nov 2, 2007, 6:04am

Thanks guys!  
I will probably end up with a grinder here eventually, but I'm still in the kiddie pool, coffee-wise.  I will go to the store and try a lighter blend.  I believe the water to be hotter with the new machine, so that could be adding to it.  The can says 'find grind' on it, so that could be part of the issue as well.  

chris
AJPratt
AJPratt
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Mirage Triplette Classic
Grinder: Anfim Super Caimano
Drip: Fetco
Roaster: US Roaster Corp Millennium
Posted Fri Nov 2, 2007, 8:29am

What kind of bottled water is it?  That could be part of the problem--not enough minerals will cause your coffee to be bitter.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
newb1

Posted Fri Nov 2, 2007, 9:25am

the water is deer park.  it is the same water I am using in both coffee makers.  I like Deer Park, so hopefully I don't have to change anything here!  

I have 30 days to play with it, so I'm going to go get a bunch of different coffees and see what happens.

Is there a coffee-101 guide that you guys know of?  I would love to read more theory and practice!
TimEggers
TimEggers

Espresso: QM Anita, Cappuccino Amore
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Antique McKee, Santos
Drip: Pour Over, Bodum Presses
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Fri Nov 2, 2007, 11:00am

http://www.sweetmarias.com/grind.brew.html

A google search can yield even more...

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
http://twitter.com/Tim_Eggers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TimEggers
newb1

Posted Fri Nov 2, 2007, 12:23pm

Thank you.  there are a lot of links off of there to keep me occupied here while I pretend to work!
rasqual
rasqual

Espresso: *$ Barista, non-pressurized
Grinder: SMP
Vac Pot: Yama, Aeropress
Drip: Porcelain Melitta 103, Hario
Roaster: "ring roaster", mod popper
Posted Fri Nov 2, 2007, 4:38pm

Another thing to try -- brew with only half the water as usual, then add as much as necessary (heated by other means) to constitute what you consider a proper strength coffee.

I'd be interested in knowing the results, if you try this.
newb1

Posted Mon Nov 5, 2007, 11:46am

Ok, I tried using less coffee this weekend and came up with the following results:

6 cups water, 1/4 cup coffee - bitter and undrinkable
4 cups water, 3 tablespoons coffee - bitter and undrinkable (coffee machine recommendation)
8 cups water, 1/4 cup coffee - better, but still somewhat bitter
9 cups water, 1/4 cup coffee - smooth, not bitter, but somewhat weak

Not sure what to conclude here, but I bought more bags of coffee from the store and I'm going to try these as well.  I'm sure I can find a good compromise adjusting the brand and quantity.

Rasqual I also tried your suggestion and started with 3 cups water and 1/4 cup coffee.  I progressively added 2 cups, 1 cup, 1 cup, and 1 cup (total 8 cups).  I need to try this again as I wasn't very rigorous in application.  I had originally assumed that the formula would be equivalent, but it is not that straightforward apparently.  Can I assume that less water creates more extraction per unit of water, but less extraction overall?

chris
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Why is my coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.242913961411)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+