Coffee: Questions and Answers
Newb needs help with many questions
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Newb needs help...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Eiekal

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Dec 11, 2006, 9:48am
Subject: Newb needs help with many questions

Hi,

I think I'm settled on buying a thermal carafe Technivorm.

1) Is the thermal carafe Technivorm the favored model?

2) I was looking to buy this at sweetmarias.  Is this a good place to buy or would you suggest another?

3) Would you suggest I pick up a swissgold filter for the Technivorm? Anything else I should pick up?

4)Of the grinders at sweetmarias, I was looking at the Solis Maestro Plus.  Is this a good matchup with the Technivorm?

5)I'm starting to see that drip is looked down upon because other methods can get the most out of coffee.  That being the case, would I notice any difference if I get a better grinder than the solis maestro plus or equivalent with a Technivorm?

6)I'm also interested in roasting at a later date.  Would roasting be wasted with a Technivorm? Reasons are  tied with number 5
 View Profile Link to this post
Susanna

Grinder: KitchenAid pro line
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Mon Dec 11, 2006, 10:07am
Subject: Re: Newb needs help with many questions

I can only answer a couple of your questions as I am fairly new to this myself.

I did not like the thermal for several reasons.  1. won't fit back under the machine with the lid on.  2. having to open it each time I want to pour a cup. 3. did not keep the coffee hot enough for me. 4. hard to clean as you have to use a brush and can't get your hand inside for scrubbing. 5. can't see the coffee, I like the glass model with the little spout that runs down to the bottom and the ablitiy to see the coffee brewing.

I did get a swiss gold with mine.  I didn't like it at first as the coffee seemed to strong and bitter with it.  I now grind a little coarser and use it all the time.  I think I get more flavor with it.

I bought mine from Boyds.  I think they are the distributor but  then noticed SM's was a little cheaper.
jtsnyc

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quickmill Anita
Grinder: Mazzer Mini/Solis Maestro
Drip: Technivorm Thermal KB741
Posted Mon Dec 11, 2006, 10:40am

1: There was a recent threat about this and there is some difference of opinion - some prefer to brew into a glass carafe and then immediately transfer the coffee into a seperate thermos.  The guts of Technivorm's are the same in thermal or carafe models and that's what makes Technivorm's the best auto drip machines.  Simply put, it brews at the right temp and brew time.  Hot plates are a big no no for coffee - it "cooks" the coffee instead of holding the heat.  If you want, take a blind taste test of your second cup: one from a thermos or thermal carafe the other from a hot plate; it's not a subtle difference.

2: Sweet Maria's is a good vendor.

3: As the previous poster suggested, you need to grind a bit coarser with a gold filter, but I think you'll get a more flavorful cup.  I don't think you need anything else (well a descaling cleaner), but a good tip is to close the filter drip, stir, and then open the filter holder to the slower drip setting (the half circle).

4: Yeah, that's a good match.

5: I've heard people say that you do.  The better your grind the better your coffee.  Honestly though I think the Maestro is a good match.  I have a Mazzer and Maestro and I originally intended to use the Mazzer for both drip and espresso, but I didn't find the taste difference to be enough to put up with the hassle and still use my Maestro for drip.

6:  No, roasting would not be wasted on a Technivorm.  I'm one of those who has gotten snooty and drinks mostly espresso nowdays, but there is something nice about having a cup that keeps you company for a while instead of being sucked down in a few sips.  Drip coffee can absolutely be a gourmet beverage.  You will notice the subtle changes in flavor as your cup cools while you drink it.

Hope this helps.
EddieDove
EddieDove
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Carezza
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Dienes
Vac Pot: Yama w/ Cory Glass Rod,...
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex, Bodum...
Roaster: RKDrum, Behmor, Gene Cafe,...
Posted Mon Dec 11, 2006, 1:39pm

Ed,

Welcome to CoffeeGeek!

Eiekal Said:

I think I'm settled on buying a thermal carafe Technivorm.

1) Is the thermal carafe Technivorm the favored model?

Posted December 11, 2006 link

The internals of all of the Technivorms are the same as pointed out by jtsnyc.  The favored model is that one that you personally favor.  If you need help deciding, this post may help --> Click Here.

I was the one that stated that I did not care for thermal carafes and prefer to see the brew (Click Here), but other people love them ... personal preference.  Also, as jtsnyc has pointed out, don't leave coffee on the burner as it burns it.

2) I was looking to buy this at sweetmarias.  Is this a good place to buy or would you suggest another?

Sweet Maria's is an excellent vendor.

3) Would you suggest I pick up a swissgold filter for the Technivorm? Anything else I should pick up?

Without a doubt, buy a Swissgold filter.  One can certainly make great coffee with quality paper filters (Filtropa, Melitta Flavor Pore), but the paper filter kind of throws a blanket on top of the flavor ... its just not as rich.  Definitely get the descaler, too.

4)Of the grinders at sweetmarias, I was looking at the Solis Maestro Plus.  Is this a good matchup with the Technivorm?

That is a competent grinder and should match the Technivorm well.  I used to use a Kitchen Aid Pro Line grinder until I got the Mazzer Mini.  It made such a difference in the taste of my coffee that I have not run another bean through the KitchenAid Pro Line grinder.  However, again, this may be a personal preference / taste thing.

5)I'm starting to see that drip is looked down upon because other methods can get the most out of coffee.  That being the case, would I notice any difference if I get a better grinder than the solis maestro plus or equivalent with a Technivorm?

I would not say that drip is looked down upon; it is just one of the many ways we enjoy our coffee.  

I believe you would need to step up to at least the Rancilio Rocky to see an appreciable difference, given the use of the Swissgold filter.  The better grinders will result in a more consistent grind and less dust (fines) that over extracts very quickly causing bitter taste.  This bothers some more than others.

6)I'm also interested in roasting at a later date.  Would roasting be wasted with a Technivorm? Reasons are  tied with number 5

Absolutely not!  I do not drink coffee other than that which I home roast and 95% of it is brewed in my Technivorm!  The coffee is a fabulous experience!

Respectfully,

Eddie Dove (a.k.a. eodove)
Vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Reference
http://www.southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogspot.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Eiekal

Posted Mon Dec 11, 2006, 2:27pm

Thank you all so much for answering.

I hope I don't look more foolish with the following questions :)
Just a couple more... promise

On Sweet Maria's homepage, she mentions that you should select no drip for the first 1-2 minuntes of the brew cycle.  This will infuse the grinds and then to switch to slow drip.
She then mentions that the moccamaster CD does not have the 3 position drip switch.  You can infuse the grinds with the moccamaster CD by starting the brew without the pot and then put the pot on the plate a minute later.  She does not mention anything about a slow drip though.

7) Can you select slow drip on the moccamaster CD?  

8)It IS the moccamaster CD that is the other prefered model, right? If not, could you provide a link so I know which exactly it is?

I didn't even know you could use a mazzer for both drip and espresso.  
9)What I mean is, I read that it's a hassle as well but can anyone clarify the hassle of switching between drip and espresso?  If I ever get into espresso, perhaps it would be nice to just have the one grinder to save cash in the long run.?.?

10)Could you provide the link of which mazzer you have exactly so that if I chose this route, I'd buy the most appropriate one.

11)This is great news about roasting.  I was reading about the Gene Cafe and it sounds so much fun.  Is there another model coming out soon?  I'm just wondering if I should hold off on this until the new model comes out

Thank you for the patience on my very green question. Hey, that's an idea. The junior member title should be replaced with Green Beans :p
EddieDove
EddieDove

Espresso: Gaggia Carezza
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Dienes
Vac Pot: Yama w/ Cory Glass Rod,...
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex, Bodum...
Roaster: RKDrum, Behmor, Gene Cafe,...
Posted Mon Dec 11, 2006, 2:46pm

Eiekal Said:

7) Can you select slow drip on the moccamaster CD?

Posted December 11, 2006 link

No.  And you don't have to do any of that if you don't want to.  I have the Moccamaster CD and when I desire, I leave the carafe off until the filter basket is almost full and stir.  Don't forget the put the carafe back under the filter basket.

8)It IS the moccamaster CD that is the other prefered model, right? If not, could you provide a link so I know which exactly it is?

Again, the preferred model is the one you prefer.  Take a look at those links in my previous post and they will help you decide.  This link has a photo of the Moccamaster CD.

I didn't even know you could use a mazzer for both drip and espresso.  
9)What I mean is, I read that it's a hassle as well but can anyone clarify the hassle of switching between drip and espresso?  If I ever get into espresso, perhaps it would be nice to just have the one grinder to save cash in the long run.?.?

Not with the Mazzer.  It takes maybe a second and a half to switch between the two.  

10)Could you provide the link of which mazzer you have exactly so that if I chose this route, I'd buy the most appropriate one.

Here is a link to the model and vendor from whom I purchased the Mazzer Mini --> Click Here.

11)This is great news about roasting.  I was reading about the Gene Cafe and it sounds so much fun.  Is there another model coming out soon?  I'm just wondering if I should hold off on this until the new model comes out

I do have a Gene Cafe and really like it.  I think they were going to do a digital version, but I think that got scrapped ... not sure.  I don't know anything about a new model coming out.  Here are some Gene Cafe links you may wish to read:

"Gene Cafe Owners - Do You Love Your Gene Cafe?"
"Gene Cafe Profiles and Results - Share Yours!"

Thank you for the patience on my very green question. Hey, that's an idea. The junior member title should be replaced with Green Beans :p

We are always glad to help ...

Respectfully,

Eddie Dove (a.k.a. eodove)
Vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Reference
http://www.southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogspot.com/
stevebro3

Espresso: bialotta
Grinder: breville
Posted Thu Nov 29, 2012, 5:39pm

I am also new to this and I plan to buy a technivorm, probably the KBT 741.  They offer little info. on their site so here goes:
  1. I prefer a thermal carafe, 10 cups, a switch on the filter basket, it would be great if it poured well. So
    What model or models has the above features?  I cannot see buying one and not being able to fool with the brewing some to get my cup of joe.
    Are the new ones all automatic or can I still get what I want?  
    thanks, Steve
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 5:59am

Depending on your budget and needs, compare a Bonavita to a technivorm if you are looking at that style of brewer. The Bonavita is less expensive and some like it more and it is an overall smaller machine, if space is limited. Not linking to reviews

But good luck in your journey.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
Timmer78
Timmer78

Espresso: Quick Mill QM67
Grinder: Baratza Vario/Bodum Bistro
Vac Pot: none
Drip: Technivorm KBG-741/Hario V60
Roaster: Fresh Roast SR500
Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 6:45pm

cerridwyn Said:

Depending on your budget and needs, compare a Bonavita to a technivorm if you are looking at that style of brewer. The Bonavita is less expensive and some like it more and it is an overall smaller machine, if space is limited. Not linking to reviews

But good luck in your journey.

Posted November 30, 2012 link

Hello there. I saw the comment on the Bonavita and thought I'd point out a couple things real quick. If you do a little research on the machine, you'll find out the flavor of the brew changes with smaller brew sizes. The  manufacturer recommends brewing only full brews which was a deal breaker for me as 99% of the time I only brew coffee for myself.

That said I do have a question of my own. After returning the Bonavita I went with the Technivorm 741 and a Bodum Bistro grinder. I'm unsure of how much beans to grind to make enough coffee just for myself. I use a 16oz travel mug so I'm hoping someone could give me the standard measurements. I realize everyone has their own personal taste, but I'm just looking for a starting point that most people use and then I'll adjust to my personal preference from there.
gimpy

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Old repaired Starbucks...
Grinder: Zassenhaus
Drip: the AeroPress, Clever Coffee...
Roaster: Behmor 1600 replaces (still...
Posted Sat Dec 8, 2012, 6:17am

Hi, Timmer, I don't have an electric brewer, but I do make only one cup at a time to drink. I think, for normal coffee drinking, I would start  out with about a sixteen to one ratio of water to coffee weight. Using a ccd (clever coffee dripper) I weigh out about 400 grams of water to 23 grams of coffee. That is probably a 17 to 1, but I started with 16 to 1.

I bought an inexpensive scale from Walmart that is accurate to +/- one gram. YMMV.

Frank, "Still the one"
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Newb needs help...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.341828107834)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+