Coffee: Questions and Answers
Pod Expiration Dates
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Pod Expiration...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
mmmmcoffee

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Nov 9, 2005, 3:33pm
Subject: Pod Expiration Dates

How long before coffee pods "expire"?  I know some of the boxes come stamped with a use by date, but what I'm really wondering is how many packages I can order from a site like betterpods and not have to worry about them expiring before I get a chance to use them.
Relatedly, can you freeze pods like you would freeze regular beans, or doesn't that work here?
 View Profile Link to this post
okaychatt
okaychatt

Espresso: S1 Vivaldi La Spaz
Grinder: Maximo; Rocky
Drip: FP; Melitta Clarity; Krups...
Posted Wed Nov 9, 2005, 3:54pm
Subject: Re: Pod Expiration Dates

mmmmcoffee Said:

How long before coffee pods "expire"?  I know some of the boxes come stamped with a use by date, but what I'm really wondering is how many packages I can order from a site like betterpods and not have to worry about them expiring before I get a chance to use them.
Relatedly, can you freeze pods like you would freeze regular beans, or doesn't that work here?

Posted November 9, 2005 link

Hi mmmmcoffee, and welcome to CG.

That's a tough question to answer, because once coffee is ground, it starts losing its flavor.  The only way to get truly fresh coffee is to grind the beans within 3-7 days after they are roasted.

All pods have lost flavor, no matter what the "use by" date is.  

That said, it's a HUGE no no to freeze coffee or store it in the refrigerator.  That's because coffee absorbs odors the same way baking soda does.

I'd just restock your pods when you run out.

What espresso machine do you have?  Is it pods only, or can you use fresh ground coffee?

Kay
mmmmcoffee

Posted Wed Nov 9, 2005, 4:00pm

I'm talking about coffee pods, not espresso.  I have a Senseo machine in my office (I know, not as yummy as I would make at home, but it saves me money) and was going to buy some pods online.  Basically, I'm wondering how much to buy at once.  I don't want to have to keep reordering, but I also don't want it to get really "old" before I have a chance to use it.
hyacinth
hyacinth
Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Nov 9, 2005, 4:41pm

Just don't order more than you would use in 3 weeks to a month. Betterpods & Podhead are the at high end of the coffee pod lines, so the product is much fresher than the grocery store brands.

"When my examination is complete, all carbon units will be reduced to data patterns."
BetterPods

Expertise: Professional

Posted Sat Jan 21, 2006, 7:31pm

Hey There:

I can comment on our pods, which likely is the same for most others.   The machine that packs our pods literally has whole beans on one end, and finished boxes of sealed pods coming out the other side.  All the stuff in between is oxygen-free (it's filled with Nitrogen) so the pods are packed without oxygen and will last a long long time.

Our pods are officially rated with 18 months til expiration, but we quote 15 months to our customers.  We keep a very small inventory of finished pods, so you're pretty much assured that you get the full 18 months of freshness if you want to push it.

I hope that helps!   I imagine the same is true with most high end pods like ours.

--David

Betterpods.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Pod Expiration...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.208998918533)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+