Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
A better french press.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > A better french...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
RayTCoffeeGuy
RayTCoffeeGuy
Posted Thu Jun 12, 2014, 9:26pm
Subject: A better french press.

I have kept a Bodum, for a long time. The trademark name of presses, By any chance do you guys know of a french press that is also a thermos.

I'm experiencing uneven extraction due to temperature fluctuation.

I always use a coarse flaky grind, and the water is 195-200 celsius and the steep time is always 5 minutes for it gets me a non underextracted or overextracted coffee.
I dose 10g per 100ml.

Then i plunge it down and pour all of it immediately into a mug. To avoid extensive steeping leading to overextraction.

During Cupping, I'd always detect flavors that was never present before even with my usual procedure.

Only true passion and expertise will make the best coffee.
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Jun 12, 2014, 9:48pm
Subject: Re: A better french press.

An Espro press will solve your problems!

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
RayTCoffeeGuy
RayTCoffeeGuy
Posted Fri Jun 13, 2014, 12:24am

Thanks man,

That espro is really good looking.

[ Keep On Brewing ]

Only true passion and expertise will make the best coffee.
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Fri Jun 13, 2014, 6:34am

Glad to help. Just remember to preheat it.

There's an excellent review of it on www.espressomyespresso.com I couldn't agree more with the comments made there.

boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Fri Jun 13, 2014, 8:03am

I always use a coarse flaky grind

There's no such thing as a flaky grind.

RayTCoffeeGuy Said:

the water is 195-200 celsius

Posted June 12, 2014 link

Celsius???  

Espro v. Bodum
An Espro is a better press than a Bodum, in that it yields a cup which is cleaner and clearer on the tongue and the palate with all of the oils and impact.  However, the brewing techniques and requirements are basically the same.  

And whether or not the Espro is better, you can certainly make damn good coffee with a Bodum... using any one of several techniques.  Even if your grinder is not up to the task of one of the coarse-ground techniques, there are work-around techniques like the "French Pull" or just grinding a little finer, not steeping quite as much, and pressing slower, which work well enough for outstanding coffee.

the steep time is always 5 minutes for it gets me a non underextracted or overextracted coffee.  I dose 10g per 100ml.

You are substantially overdosing and mildly over-steeping; and considering it takes both for you to get what you consider an appropriate extraction, it's clear your current grind setting is too coarse.

You want to grind as fine as possible but still allow the filter to glide through the pot with very little resistance or pressure build up, allowing as few fines as possible past the filter.  The key to a good FP grind is not only the average particle size but a relative absence of fines.  FWIW, your Vario is an excellent brew grinder which -- even with the ceramic "AP" burrs -- grinds a very nice press.

The "temperature fluctuation" involved in a five minute steep in a glass carafe will not adversely affect the extraction.  Assuming you're not brewing outdoors in sub zero weather, you've surmised a problem which simply does not exist.

1. Brew ratio of 6g coffee per 100ml water.  
  2. Pour enough hot water (200F is good) on the grounds to bloom them;
  3. Stir (aka "agitate") so they are evenly wetted;
  4. Fill the carafe with the desired amount of water; a center pour is fine;
  5. Stir again so all of the grounds are evenly wetted.  The entire process to this point should take about 30sec.
  6. Cover the carafe with the lid/filter assembly.  The filter should rest on the bloom without pushing it down.  Covering the coffee closely helps keep the coffee hot while it steeps.
  7. Steep 3min 15sec - 3min 30sec; and
  8. Start a slow press.  It should take about 15sec.  Total steep time, including pressing, should be NO MORE than 4min 15sec.  

If the resulting brew is under-extracted, use a finer grind.  If over-extracted, grind coarser.

By the way, the above is the same method I use in all of my regular presses and both of my Espros.

Hope this helps,
Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Fri Jun 13, 2014, 10:05am

boar_d_laze Said:

You are substantially overdosing and mildly over-steeping; and considering it takes both for you to get what you consider an appropriate extraction, it's clear your current grind setting is too coarse.

Posted June 13, 2014 link

To be fair, the coffee/water ratio is a matter of preference. I usually steep at 10:1 or 11:1 and produce cups in the 1.7-2.0% TDS range. I like strong coffee. I was recently in Switzerland where the coffee I was served was consistently strong (and also very well balanced). The Swiss apparently like it strong as well. I brought home a 2cl sample of coffee from a hotel dining room and dried it the oven. It measured 1.78% TDS.

And five minutes is over-steeping? Seriously??
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Fri Jun 13, 2014, 11:30am

boar_d_laze Said:

Espro v. Bodum
An Espro is a better press than a Bodum, in that it yields a cup which is cleaner and clearer on the tongue and the palate with all of the oils and impact.  However, the brewing techniques and requirements are basically the same.

Though I agree the brew technique and coffee:water ratio should be the same using either press.  there is a huge difference in temperature control (which happens to be one factor Rich often points out as a cause for other people's problems - ie, something he notices that no one else seems to comment on).  The Espro press has a double wall which allows it, once pre-heated, to have excellent thermal stability throughout the brewing process. However, and this is a big IF, if you don't pre-heat the Espro press, you're probably much better off with a standard glass Bodum, as the room temp stainless will suck the bejeezes out of your formerly hot water and ruin your coffee.

I specifically did not comment on your brew method, as there are a lot of reports out there with people having "success" using differening techniques - ie, it's very personal.  Instead, I chose to comment only on your temperature stability issue.

I do not mean to imply that the other respondants should focus only on your temperature problem, and in fact, applaud them for extending beyond it and offering you additional assistance.  In truth, I didn't even read the full text of the other responses, but...

I do agree that 5 minutes is not oversteeping...unless your grounds are too fine.

canuckcoffeeguy
canuckcoffeeguy
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Magica, Mypressi...
Grinder: K10PB, Vario, Hario Slim
Vac Pot: I have a Dyson vacuum, but,...
Drip: Bialetti Brikka, Bodum...
Posted Fri Jun 13, 2014, 12:03pm

RayTCoffeeGuy Said:

By any chance do you guys know of a french press that is also a thermos.

Posted June 12, 2014 link

This is a cross between a French press and an Aeropress -- and it also keep the coffee hot. I haven't tried it (not available in Canada yet), but I've seen it recommended by other CG members.
Click Here Impress coffee brewer
SJM

Espresso: SAMA (2), Maximatic, Cremina...
Grinder: K-10PB, Rancilio MD-50
Vac Pot: no like
Drip: no like
Roaster: HotTop   Huky en route
Posted Fri Jun 13, 2014, 12:30pm

When I was using an uninsulated glass press I made a "cozy" to wrap around it....A bit of thermal material and some velcro....pretty simple.

Susan
johnnyb3

Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus refurb
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Chemex
Posted Fri Jun 13, 2014, 6:17pm

SJM Said:

When I was using an uninsulated glass press I made a "cozy" to wrap around it....A bit of thermal material and some velcro....pretty simple.

Susan

Bodum actually makes such a thing, possibly under the name "Nero." I find that it works quite well to keep the temperature up.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > A better french...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.319102048874)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+