Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Drip Coffee Analysis
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Drip Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
RayTCoffeeGuy
RayTCoffeeGuy
Posted Tue Jun 3, 2014, 9:58pm
Subject: Drip Coffee Analysis

Concept: As water is added to a level bed of grounds, gravity will filter the grinds.

The brewing time should be 5 minutes for mine and the ratio should be around 5-8 grams per 100 ml.

The grind size, amount of grinds, and temperature will influence the speed that it travels downwards.

The extraction is mainly by steeping (exposing grinds to water, then filtering using gravity and the resistence by the grinds will determine how long it stays up there and that influences steep time.

Evenly extracting, is determined by surface area and flatness of the grinds.

So anything wrong with the analisis.

Only true passion and expertise will make the best coffee.
 View Profile Link to this post
Jaxx2112

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Jun 4, 2014, 2:22am
Subject: Re: Drip Coffee Analysis

So... yes and no.

RayTCoffeeGuy Said:

Concept: As water is added to a level bed of grounds, gravity will filter the grinds.

Posted June 3, 2014 link

Yes, this is gravity fed filtration.  Filtration through the coffee bed and then filtration of the slurry through the final filter material (gold,paper,etc).

RayTCoffeeGuy Said:

The brewing time should be 5 minutes for mine and the ratio should be around 5-8 grams per 100 ml.

Posted June 3, 2014 link

Not always.  The brew time is dependent on the following:  Desired extraction level, mass of water, mass of ground coffee, filter medium (i.e. metal filters will allow a faster slurry flow rate than  paper) and the particle size of the grind.  While brewing a 1 to 2 cup pourover tends to target a total brew time of anywhere from 2:15s to 3:45 seconds, brewing a 900mL Chemex may very well take as long as 5.5-6 minutes.  Again, brew time is directly related to the quantity of coffee being brewed, the particle size of the grind (finer grind impedes flow), and the 'filter' medium (i.e. mass of coffee, filter material, etc) in the brew basket.

RayTCoffeeGuy Said:

The grind size, amount of grinds, and temperature will influence the speed that it travels downwards.

Posted June 3, 2014 link

Temperature will most likely not influence the flowrate of the slurry bed.  It will influence the rate of extractable compounds.  Flow rate of the incoming water will also affect how quickly the slurry bed travels through the filter medium as an aggressive flow rate of incoming water can disturb the coffee bed, resulting in uneven extraction/flow.

RayTCoffeeGuy Said:

The extraction is mainly by steeping (exposing grinds to water, then filtering using gravity and the resistence by the grinds will determine how long it stays up there and that influences steep time.

Posted June 3, 2014 link

Yes and no.  The extraction is dependent on hot water dissolving soluble aromatic compounds (based on temperature, i.e. hotter will extract more, although past a certain point most are less desirable compounds), the quantity of coffee present in the coffee bed, as well as the grind size of the coffee bed.  The time that the slurry interacts with the coffee bed is dependent on brew time, which controls how long the coffee bed is exposed to the solvent (hot water).  The filtration is still gravity filtered, and the resistance of the grinds (i.e. density of the coffee bed / particle size) impacts the flow rate.

RayTCoffeeGuy Said:

Evenly extracting, is determined by surface area and flatness of the grinds.
So anything wrong with the analisis.

Posted June 3, 2014 link

Even extraction is determined by the exposed surface area and by minimizing excessive agitation of the coffee bed.  While agitation is a necessary evil (we need to add coffee to reach out brew size), each addition of water inherently agitates the bed surface, and so effort must be made to evenly agitate the coffee bed when incorporating water (hence why most pour overs encourage spiral pours).  Even extraction does not necessarily mean good extraction, so much effort must be made to ensure appropriate temperature, coffee bed density (grind size and grind quantity) and pouring technique is followed.  That's basically drip coffee in a nutshell.
RayTCoffeeGuy
RayTCoffeeGuy
Posted Wed Jun 4, 2014, 11:23pm

Thanks Man, Nice one.

RayTCoffeeGuy
RayTCoffeeGuy
Posted Thu Jun 5, 2014, 9:06pm

End of this post.

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Drip Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.264115095139)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+