Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Please recommend a coffee maker with the best hot plate
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Please recommend...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
suzanne20f

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat May 31, 2014, 12:02pm
Subject: Please recommend a coffee maker with the best hot plate

Hi, im new here btw. I am so sick of wasting money buying coffee makers, that brew tepid coffee. I like my coffee still hot, even after i put the milk in. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Also, i would be wanting filter coffee, not coffee beans.
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Jun 1, 2014, 3:31pm
Subject: Re: Please recommend a coffee maker with the best hot plate

First of all, Suzanne, welcome to CG.

suzanne20f Said:

I am so sick of wasting money buying coffee makers, that brew tepid coffee.

Posted May 31, 2014 link

Now, while I wholehearted agree that many coffee makers are a waste of money, coffee should be brewed within a narrow temperature range for the best results.  Coffee makers like those by Technivorm do just that:

The brewing quality of our coffee makers is beyond dispute and guaranty a first class beverage due to the fact that brewing temperature and water/coffee contact time as well as holding temperature are in accordance with the critical requirements of the European Coffee Brewing Centre and the Speciality Coffee Association of America and Europe. Needless to say that we are proud to carry their seal of approval for all our coffee makers.

This is also true of coffee makers by Bonavita.  So I would start by looking at these.

suzanne20f Said:

I like my coffee still hot, even after i put the milk in.

Posted May 31, 2014 link

Just to state the obvious:  cold milk will, of course, lower the temperature of the coffee.  If you can, don't use milk right out of the refrigerator; alternatively, you can always "nuke" your coffee for a brief moment in the microwave to get it back up to temperature (without boiling it!).

suzanne20f Said:

Also, i would be wanting filter coffee, not coffee beans.

Posted May 31, 2014 link

This is where I got a bit confused by your post, so I hope you will permit me to ask a couple of questions.  Filter coffee and coffee beans are not mutually exclusive.  I am presuming you are looking for some sort of automatic drip coffee maker, such as those I referenced above, that utilize either a paper, disposable filter or some form of reusable mesh filter through which the water passes.  The coffee these sorts of machine use is ground for a specific purpose -- in this case, making drip (or filter) coffee.  That requires a specific grind of coffee; it is more coarsely ground that it would be for making espresso, but not as coarsely ground as one requires for use in a press pot, a vacuum pot, or with a percolator.  But all coffee starts out as beans, so I'm a bit unclear as to your meaning.  Could you clarify?  Am I missing something?

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Sun Jun 1, 2014, 6:19pm

As far as the best hot plate- the best hot plate is NO hot plate. A pot of coffee sitting on a hot plate very quickly becomes a very foul beverage (sorry if I'm being a bit frank). If you're using a hot plate style maker you'll want to transfer to a carafe ASAP after brewing, otherwise go with a thermal carafe maker. A maker that brews at the right temperature produces VERY hot coffee BTW.

Also not sure what you're getting at with filter coffee/coffee beans, possibly a translation error?

You might consider going with pourover if you don't mind a little extra effort. The cost to get you brewing good coffee would actually be much less that way.

Another Welcome to CoffeeGeek!

Ron
Eastsideloco
Eastsideloco

Espresso: '74 Cremina, '91 Livietta...
Grinder: Vario-W, mid-century...
Vac Pot: Cona C, Kono PR 3, Hellem...
Drip: Kalita Wave, V60, Chemex,...
Posted Mon Jun 2, 2014, 8:51am

CoffeeRon Said:

As far as the best hot plate- the best hot plate is NO hot plate.

Posted June 1, 2014 link

+1.

Although, if you get a coffee machine with a hot plate, you can use it to cook your meals:

http://coffeemachinecuisine.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MrBromeo

Posted Wed Jun 4, 2014, 11:39am

I second the recommendation on Technivorm Moccamaster, if you want a hot-plate / glass carafe machine that will last years. The hot plate has an adjustable temperature that maintains the finished coffee around 165F (74C) on low, or about 175F (79C) on high, at least according to my measurements. Unlike inexpensive mass-produced coffee makers, the warming plate is a separate heater. It does seem to be relatively gentle on the coffee. I've not detected any bad tastes even after an hour.

For even hotter coffee, at least initially, the thermal carafe Moccamaster provides a finished brew at 185F (85C), almost too hot to sip at first. Some may object to the stainless steel taste, though I have found I either got used to it or it becomes seasoned after a while.

The glass carafe pours better and is easier to keep sparkly clean. The thermal carafe is less messy as far as any last drips don't hit and sizzle on the hot plate.

Pre-heating your coffee cup with hot water, and if you like creamer, warming that as well, helps. It's amazing how much heat is lost pouring coffee into a cold ceramic mug and then adding cold cream. Bodum makes some very nice blown glass insulated coffee cups that hold the heat in better.
yakster
yakster

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Wed Jun 4, 2014, 2:19pm

Many brew methods experience a temperature drop of the coffee, even when it may be brewed at the right temperature, when the coffee is cooled by falling through the air and also cooled by the carafe.  Pre-heating the carafe can help.

There are a couple of brew methods where the temperature drop is minimized that you might consider, many consider this a drawback because they'll need to wait for the coffee to cool before enjoying it... most specialty coffee sweetens as it cools (or at least you can perceive the sweetness in good coffee better when it's on the cooler side) and really hot coffee can mask bitterness and defects, but that's just an aside.  

The first method is siphon / vac pot where some of the water remains in the bottom of the carafe producing water vapor that keeps the brew water in the top globe with the coffee for brewing.  When you remove the heat, the coffee drains down into the hot carafe which minimizes cooling.  Vac pot can produce excellent coffee, and I enjoy brewing in a vac pot, but it's not an automatic brewer and may involve a bit more cleanup.

The second method is the Impress brew mug which is a double-insulated stainless steel coffee travel mug with an insert that acts as a fine mesh filter.  I use one for a travel mug every day (usually filling it from my BraZen coffee maker which can be programmed to brew at your desired temperature) and it keeps the coffee hot for hours.  I also brew in it by adding 18 grams of coffee and filling it 3/4 of the way with hot water, I leave the lid off while brewing so that it will cool some so I can drink it.  It' makes a large mug of coffee.

Finally, you can always pop your coffee mug in a microwave and heat your coffee up, there's really no sin in that.  It's probably better than leaving your coffee on a burner for a long time because that will cause a breakdown in the coffee increasing the bitterness.  I agree with the other posters that it's best to avoid a hot plate and just use a good carafe to hold your coffee, and get a good brewer like a Bonavita, Technivorm, BraZen, Ratio or other that brews at the right temperature to make good coffee.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Stuntgibbon

Posted Thu Jun 5, 2014, 7:15am

Actually if hot is the main goal (over flavor), maybe one of the stove top makers would be best for her. Old school percolators can go plenty hot.

Can also use any temp water you want to complete an aeropress shot, so there might be something there for you too.

(Also I can vouche for the moccamaster, I love mine)
PhillyRick

Posted Mon Jun 23, 2014, 8:06am

I certainly wouldn't nuke the coffee (for some reason, it seems to nuke the flavor too); but you =could= put the milk in the mug and nuke that before pouring the coffee in.
EmmaCafe24

Posted Wed Jul 16, 2014, 8:12am

Good morning follow coffee lovers,

I love the idea of putting your cup in the microwave before hand, would make it much hotter, and i love my coffee hot.

Now regards to what type of brewer, all suggestions were good above, me personally I have a Keurig K60 Elite not only does it make good quality hot coffee but also Tea and Cocoa, large variety of flavours and was affordable. Hope this helps !
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Please recommend...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.28447508812)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+