Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Artisan V (and Artisan 6) Roaster from Coffee Crafters
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Artisan V (and...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
dancinggoatguy
dancinggoatguy
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri May 23, 2014, 11:56am
Subject: Artisan V (and Artisan 6) Roaster from Coffee Crafters

Hi all, just wanted to open up another topic on this roaster as i own the Artisan V and enjoy it. I run a small roasting company in central BC, Canada. I get frequent questions about it because it is hot air vs drum and they are relatively new on the market.
I personally quite like this roaster and wish i had the Artisan 6 which is now available. Almost any of the hiccups or short comings of the V were worked out in the 6.
some of the features that people were not crazy about were:
- cooling tray design
- non-variable heat settings
- lack of profile control (due to the above)

These are now all taken care of in the Artisan 6.
I am not going to put a bunch of specs in this initial post as all of that info is readily available from the coffee crafters website.
Please feel free to ask questions and post any experience with this machine if you have bought one.
I apologize to those who feel this is too "commercial" to post but the truth is,websites like coffeegeek and others with the same idea are extremely helpful to the small business owners like myself. The intent is to share information about this product and have some discussion over its pro's and con's.
I purchased mine in December of 2013 and it has helped me grow my little roasting company and we really have had great success with it over all.

Cheers
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
sobecreation
sobecreation
Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Thu May 29, 2014, 7:06am
Subject: Re: Artisan V (and Artisan 6) Roaster from Coffee Crafters

Thanks for opening this thread up for questions! This is exactly what I was hoping to find here at CoffeeGeek (and I created an account on here just for this thread!).

I'm new to roasting, but I've been doing quite a bit of research over the past year or so, and I love the concept of fluid bed roasting. One of my favorite roasters is The Roasterie in Kansas City, and they use an air roasting technique, and I love the lightness of the coffee it produces. My understanding is that they use a Sivetz - how would you say the Artisan V/6 compares with a Sivetz?

Also, have you had any issues with the durability of your Artisan? One of the things that has me a little bit cautious about Coffee Crafters is that they're so new, and they seem like a really small company, so I would hate to get myself into a situation where the roaster breaks and support is non-existant or slow to respond.

Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
dancinggoatguy
dancinggoatguy
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu May 29, 2014, 9:05am

Firstly, I will address your concern over it being a smaller company and the durability factor.
I have not had the machine long enough to speak to the durability, however, it is well built. Because of the nature of the operations of it, there is very little wear on moving parts. The blower and the elements are the only pieces that could really wear out. It is light but sturdy and i am happy with its solid feel. That said, it is not an overly heavy machine which is a bonus. My first roaster was about 250 lbs and could roast less than half the beans!
As for the company and there service, i can't say enough good things. They were extremely helpful when i was ordering and even paid for some of the shipping cost as there was a mix up and they took it upon themselves to help out with that. Service wise, i have done 2 "upgrades" to the machine, both times i spoke directly with the owner and he walked me through the process. They are very open to feedback and are looking to create the best in their class. I am currently in communication with the owner as i am looking to do an upgrade on my machine to bring it more into step with the Artisan 6.
So in short, support is amazing and they are very quick to get back to you.

As a comparison to a Sivetz, i couldn't tell you as i have never roasted with one. I have seen a few posts around the net with people comparing it to a Sivetz but i didn't  pay much attention as I have no experience with one.
The bottom line is that in its price class, the volume and accuracy that you CAN roast to is unbeatable. I am a true Artisan in that i enjoy having few monitors on the process and i rely on my senses to produce a consistent product.
The new Artisan 6 has even more control which i think is a nice feature and i am looking forward to my upgrade!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
sobecreation
sobecreation

Posted Thu May 29, 2014, 9:15am

Thanks for the information - it's really helpful as I'm trying to decide what kind of roaster to buy.

Do you do any kind of logging of your roasts (for profiling, etc.)? I'm wondering if there's an easy way to integrate a digital profiling system, or if I'd need to log everything manually. Certainly not a deal-breaker either way - I'm just curious. :)
sweetcrema

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Wed Jun 25, 2014, 6:55am

Our Artisan 6 recently arrived! We purchased ours with upgrades to accomodate 8 lb batches.. Electrician is coming Monday to get us wired up! I am stoked! Quality seems really nice for the price (we also considered the 8 lb Sivetz for $7k+ as they are still manufacturing them near where I live).. will definitely update when I can!
And also, if I can answer any questions I am happy to as well!

Gabe
sobecreation
sobecreation

Posted Wed Jun 25, 2014, 7:06am

I'm excited to hear your thoughts on the Artisan 6.

In the meantime, though, what company is still manufacturing the Sivetz? I spent a lot of time trying to find anyone that still made them, but I couldn't come up with anything - they seem like great roasters!
sweetcrema

Posted Wed Jun 25, 2014, 7:16am

There is a machine shop near Corvallis, Oregon. A former Sivetz employee is now building the roasters. We service his shop with one of our sales businesses. I will see if I can get you specifics today!
sobecreation
sobecreation

Posted Wed Jun 25, 2014, 7:17am

That would be sweet - thanks!
sweetcrema

Posted Wed Jun 25, 2014, 7:27am

Okay, the company still making the Sivetz roasters is Central Valley heating and sheetmetal. You can contact them at (541)-757-0058.
I'm not sure if they manufacture the entire line or not..
Gabe
sobecreation
sobecreation

Posted Wed Jun 25, 2014, 7:30am

Thanks!

And do let me know what you think of your Artisan 6 after you've run a few batches. :)
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Artisan V (and...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.257349967957)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+