Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
notNeutral Gino
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > notNeutral Gino  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
gainingexperience

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Stovetop
Grinder: Hario Ceramic Slim
Drip: Beehouse dripper
Posted Fri May 9, 2014, 1:59pm
Subject: notNeutral Gino

I have attempted to find more information regarding extraction with the new Gino dripper from notNeutral, particularly comparisons between the Gino and the Kalita Wave 185. I have yet to find anything.
So, I pose the question here.
Who has had experience with the Gino dripper?
What pros are there?
What cons?
How would you compare the extractions with the Kalita Wave?
What brew ratio(s) have you found for your favorite coffees?

I hope to purchase this new dripper, but would also like to get my hands on a Wave 185 soon and look forward to posting more about my likes and dislikes.
 View Profile Link to this post
Java_Jiver
Java_Jiver
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Drip: Technivorm 741
Posted Thu Mar 19, 2015, 9:12am
Subject: Re: notNeutral Gino

I find it interesting that there have been no replies to your info request from ten months ago.  I have a coffee friend in Pittsburgh who is quite excited about his Gino. I also noticed on the company website that they now offer their own filters, which, presumably, don't take as long to receive as the Kalita filters, nor as expensive.

Still, this device costs a little more than I think is warranted, and I'm from Missouri when it comes to comparisons with its various competitors that preceded it.
brianl

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: HG One, OE Lido 2, Baratza...
Drip: Chemex/V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Mar 20, 2015, 8:31am

notNeutral is primarily a design company and its focus is there first. I would not expect it to be cutting edge performance wise but it does follow the same 3 hole premise as the kalita.
barkingburro
barkingburro

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Trifecta MB, CafeSolo,...
Posted Fri Mar 20, 2015, 10:46am

brianl Said:

notNeutral is primarily a design company and its focus is there first. I would not expect it to be cutting edge performance wise but it does follow the same 3 hole premise as the kalita.

Posted March 20, 2015 link

On the other hand, since notNeutral partly specializes in coffee gear and already has accomplished a very successful implementation of their Lino series in collaboration with Intelligentsia, I wouldn't be surprised if they got it right.

- Michael
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
barkingburro
barkingburro

Posted Fri Mar 20, 2015, 11:01am

Java_Jiver Said:

... this device costs a little more than I think is warranted, and I'm from Missouri when it comes to comparisons with its various competitors that preceded it.

Posted March 19, 2015 link

The Gino dripper costs about the same as the Kalita Wave drippers. It costs $10 more than a smaller Hario glass dripper, which isn't an option for many who prefer a dripper that doesn't force you to get the grind size exactly right. It also costs more than plastic cones (again not an option for many). There may be other options out there in glass, metal, or ceramic, but only the ones with flat bottoms and a few small holes to restrict the flow are comparable.

Which reasonably priced comparable pourover device were you thinking of?

- Michael
Tomtg

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Not espresso but Moka Pot
Vac Pot: French Press
Drip: Melitta Pour Over
Roaster: George Howell is current...
Posted Fri Mar 20, 2015, 12:46pm

barkingburro Said:

The Gino dripper costs about the same as the Kalita Wave drippers. It costs $10 more than a smaller Hario glass dripper, which isn't an option for many who prefer a dripper that doesn't force you to get the grind size exactly right. It also costs more than plastic cones (again not an option for many). There may be other options out there in glass, metal, or ceramic, but only the ones with flat bottoms and a few small holes to restrict the flow are comparable.

Which reasonably priced comparable pourover device were you thinking of?

Posted March 20, 2015 link

Hey Barkingburro!

I JUST started using a Kalita Wave this week!  (i am basically still a newbie at enjoying GREAT coffee!)

I had been using a melitta plastic cone, a french press and a moka pot!

I had been getting really great results with the Melitta after figuring out grind.

The Kalita Wave seems to have a little more low tones (is that a correct term?) while the Melitta a little more high tones.

I like them both so far.
brianl

Posted Sat Mar 21, 2015, 6:06pm

The collaboration with intelligentsia was for a cup, not a Brewer. They make splendid cups. I only use their cups these day. Been waiting on a good price for the meno.

I'm sure the construction of the Gino is amazing but it looks like bare bones Brewer tech
barkingburro
barkingburro

Posted Sat Mar 21, 2015, 7:13pm

brianl Said:

The collaboration with intelligentsia was for a cup, not a Brewer. They make splendid cups. I only use their cups these day. Been waiting on a good price for the meno.

I'm sure the construction of the Gino is amazing but it looks like bare bones Brewer tech

Posted March 21, 2015 link

Your points, taken together, seem questionable and even contradictory. First you state that you wouldn't expect notNeutral to make a dripper with cutting edge performance because they're merely a design company. Then you admit that their cups are splendid. Gosh, I think that qualifies as cutting edge, especially if you know the story behind the cup design.

Now you imply that designing a splendid cup in collaboration with experienced baristas has no bearing on the process for designing a great dripper. I disagree--it has everything to do with it. It means that notNeutral potentially has detail-oriented designers who can appreciate the specialized coffee knowledge they must import into their process. I don't know if you were aware of this, but notNeutral worked very closely with Intelligentsia staff and incorporated numerous details in their product. Eva Solo they're not (I mention Eva Solo because they produced a great brewer quite by accident, I believe. Eva Solo is a good example that fits your first point.).

But the contradiction comes when you now disparage the Gino brewer implementation as being "bare bones brewer tech". WTF? What's the distance between the "bare bones brewer tech" and the "cutting edge performance" you refer to? What specifically are you getting at? You have me completely stumped!

P.S. Brian, I'll admit I'm being an argumentative S.O.B. But my question above still stands. Thanks for your forebearance.

- Michael
brianl

Posted Sat Mar 21, 2015, 8:07pm

At this point I'm just going to say I don't care. Enjoy. Please share your experiences when you get a Gino.

Here we go. No need to argue over its brewing merits anymore.

Click Here (sprudge.com)

Honestly, I was going to buy one if they ever sold the set with the black mug.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Sat Mar 21, 2015, 9:07pm

brianl Said:

At this point I'm just going to say I don't care. Enjoy. Please share your experiences when you get a Gino.

Here we go. No need to argue over its brewing merits anymore.

Click Here (sprudge.com)

Honestly, I was going to buy one if they ever sold the set with the black mug.

Posted March 21, 2015 link

Thanks for the link, Brian.
Sometimes posting on the 'net can lead to some confusion, but seems all worked out. I'm intrigued by the double walled glass, as I find my glass Kalita pours, as fine as they are often cool down below 165 by the time the 3:30 or so process is done. I also have a Bonavita Immersion thingy..a ceramic version of the Clever Brewer. I was originally pleased with it, but now find it drains a bit slower than I like, even with a regular drip grind. I may go for the "new kid on the block."

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > notNeutral Gino  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2015 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.322268009186)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+