Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Ultrasonic Brewing
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Ultrasonic...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Mon84

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Apr 21, 2014, 5:33pm
Subject: Ultrasonic Brewing

Hi All

Apologies if this has been discussed before ,search didn't turn up anything...

I am looking into ultrasonic mixing to create cold brew coffee, although without the required 8-12 hours, I'm hoping with additional agitation this can be reduced.
I have experimented with 44Khz 60w ultrasonic transducer but it appears the frequency is to high, I have since ordered a lower 28Khz transducer and driver circuit.
Links:
Video 44Khz
Photo of transducer and driver circuit

Anyway just wondering if anyone has tried this before? , and any thoughts and or suggestions.
Look forward to hearing the forums thoughts.
 View Profile Link to this post
Mon84

Posted Wed Apr 23, 2014, 1:26pm
Subject: Re: Ultrasonic Brewing

No replies , maybe my idea is just that crazy ?

Any thoughts suggestions would be appreciated even if it's just to reassure me I'm sane and not a crazy scientist :p
wabbitt
wabbitt

Espresso: stovetop pots,aeropress
Grinder: skerton, SoloGrind
Drip: melitta cone, chemex
Posted Wed Apr 23, 2014, 3:47pm

Nice try at a novelty idea, but I think it's useless.  A little transducer is going to do as much for your coffee as serenading the coffee jar with a radio.  You could get more agitation by placing the cold brew on top of a loud bass speaker and play something with a beat.  That might be followed by a visit from an equally agitated neighbor.  Offer him a cup of awesome coffee & biscuit.

My intuition says tu use much lower frequency, like 2 cycles per minute and much more distance/travel.  At first I thought more toward something around the frequency and intensity of a paint mixer.  If you add cream, you could have a coffee whip.  Nah, that's overkill.

How about one of those baby swings to gently sway your jar for a few hours. Some of those swings are a kinetic wind-up thing.  I've seen a bar novelty that would rock from side to side, so that whatever was in the barrel would agitate  as it rolled from one side to the other.  The little barrel was the size of a pickle jar.

When I had high school chemistry, we had this little thing the size of a bean which would magnetically stir the beaker.

When I do a jar of cold brew, I just shake up the jar every couple hours if/when I happen to be within arms reach just to let it know it is loved. One of the benefits to cold brew is the very small energy footprint it leaves, smaller than manual drip, even.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
rasqual
rasqual

Espresso: *$ Barista, non-pressurized
Grinder: SMP
Vac Pot: Yama, Aeropress
Drip: Porcelain Melitta 103, Hario
Roaster: "ring roaster", mod popper
Posted Wed Apr 23, 2014, 5:14pm

How about one o' them hardware store paint-shakin' machines?    ;-D

Heck, a decent blender...

How about those cold beverage machines they use to dispense stuff in some restaurants? Their designs vary. Some have mechanical agitators, some have fluid flowing over the top. A mod or two could make an interesting brewing device for cold/cool/tepid/lukewarm/warm brewing. 32
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Wed Apr 23, 2014, 5:28pm

Mon84 Said:

No replies , maybe my idea is just that crazy ?

Any thoughts suggestions would be appreciated even if it's just to reassure me I'm sane and not a crazy scientist :p

Posted April 23, 2014 link

A company in Germany produces ultrasonic mixers used in a variety of applications, one being food:
Click Here (www.hielscher.com)

Pretty industrial looking stuff, however maybe you can glean some good info on what they are doing, frequencies involved, etc.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
Mon84

Posted Thu Apr 24, 2014, 1:17am

Thanks for the input guys.

wabbitt
I fear you may be right on the frequency, although thats not stopping me from trying.
My understanding is with cold brew it is the water extracts the water soluble parts from the coffee and this is diffused through the water.
Agitation should increase the diffusion and make the coffee more uniformly distributed among the liquid, hopefully this will reduce the coffee concentration immediately around the coffee grounds and increase the rate of extraction?

rasqual
Indeed i'm sure the paint mixers would increase the extraction rate although not sure I can convince the Mrs to put one in the kitchen... :P
I'm not familiar with the design of commercial machines.. so can't really comment.

CoffeeRoastersClub
Thanks , I have seen that article and my quest into ultrasonics was actually through looking at that site and using it in Biodiesel production, which I believe Hielscher use around 20Khz, although I can't seem to find the reference back too this.

An interesting article seems to support that I'm on the right track dropping the frequency to 28Khz, although to achieve a rapid cold brew make be asking too much?
APPLICATION OF ULTRASOUND THERMAL PROCESS ON EXTRACTING FLAVOR AND CAFFEINE OF COFFEE
Ultrasonics used in biodiesel reduce the reaction time by a factor of 100 compared to mechanical mixing, although this is pure chemistry I'm hoping some of this theory will transfer.

I appreciate all the feedback/thoughts and open to any suggestions that may improve the extraction rate and or taste.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Ultrasonic...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.247648000717)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+