Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Hot Top roaster - first roast
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Hot Top roaster...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
DCcoffeeman
DCcoffeeman
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bialetti stovetop
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Zassenhaus
Vac Pot: French press
Drip: Clever Dripper, Melitta
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Sun Apr 13, 2014, 8:50am
Subject: Hot Top roaster - first roast

With help from the Coffee Geek community, I decided to buy a Hot Top roaster to upgrade (from hot air popcorn popper) my roasting.  I bought it from Sweet Maria's and it arrived in 3 days with 5 lbs. of Sumatra Onan green beans.  Thank you Sweet Maria's for great service as always.  
    I spent the first day reading the owner's manual and Sweet Maria's tip sheet.  It sounded a little intimidating, but when I finally started roasting, everything went fine.  I used the "auto" program for the first roast and used the recommended 250g of beans.  While this is automatic, you always have the option to stop the roast at any time by pressing "eject."  The cool thing is that you can watch the beans through the window and decide when to stop the roast.  For the first time in many years of roasting, I was able to hear 1st crack (about 12 minutes into roasting) and 2nd crack (very soon after 1st).  Before I couldn't hear the cracks because of the noise of the popper and my hearing limitations.  For the first roast of the Sumatra beans, I stopped the roast soon after 2nd crack.  The beans then eject and swirl around in the cooling tray for several minutes.  Made drip coffee using the roasted beans on Sunday morning and the coffee was super.  I plan to experiement witha slightly longer roast next time.  Wonderful roaster!
 View Profile Link to this post
BarryR

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Sun Apr 13, 2014, 7:01pm
Subject: Re: Hot Top roaster - first roast

DCcoffeeman Said:

With help from the Coffee Geek community, I decided to buy a Hot Top roaster to upgrade (from hot air popcorn popper) my roasting.  I bought it from Sweet Maria's and it arrived in 3 days with 5 lbs. of Sumatra Onan green beans.  Thank you Sweet Maria's for great service as always.  
    I spent the first day reading the owner's manual and Sweet Maria's tip sheet.  It sounded a little intimidating, but when I finally started roasting, everything went fine.  I used the "auto" program for the first roast and used the recommended 250g of beans.  While this is automatic, you always have the option to stop the roast at any time by pressing "eject."  The cool thing is that you can watch the beans through the window and decide when to stop the roast.  For the first time in many years of roasting, I was able to hear 1st crack (about 12 minutes into roasting) and 2nd crack (very soon after 1st).  Before I couldn't hear the cracks because of the noise of the popper and my hearing limitations.  For the first roast of the Sumatra beans, I stopped the roast soon after 2nd crack.  The beans then eject and swirl around in the cooling tray for several minutes.  Made drip coffee using the roasted beans on Sunday morning and the coffee was super.  I plan to experiement witha slightly longer roast next time.  Wonderful roaster!

Posted April 13, 2014 link

I recently upgraded to the B2K from a Behmor and I too am very happy with it (though I'd be even happier if I could roast 400 gms).
The default eject temp is 428 which will give a pretty dark roast (Vienna, at least, I'd guess).
Sounds like you're off to a good start.

Many Hottop users pretty much override the auto program.
For soft beans like Sumatran, you may want to slow it down a little (especially in the "drying" phase (when the go from brightish green to tan). It seems to happen in the 260-320 degree part, I think.

Many Hottop users charge (drop the beans in) at around 250 degrees and higher.
A little before 1C, you also might try slowing things down. I find 1C usually happens around 370-375).
One rule of thumb is that 1C should be about 90 secs long and then 2C should happen about 90 secs after that (if you let it go that far).

You can play around with these parameters and see how it goes.
I find the Hottop to be extremely consistent such that if you use the same settings with the same coffee (same amt of course), you'll get almost identical roasts.

PS: I use the iPod/iPad app roastmaster to track everything and it's great (it's $10).
When I had a Behmor  I used the free PC app roasterthing.

Between here and homeroaster.org, you can get lots of info.
DCcoffeeman
DCcoffeeman

Espresso: Bialetti stovetop
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Zassenhaus
Vac Pot: French press
Drip: Clever Dripper, Melitta
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Sun Apr 13, 2014, 8:12pm

Thanks for the tips.  Didn't know there was an iPhone app, but it doesn't surprise me. I'll download the app. I'm very excited about the Hot Top and what it can do.  Happy roasting!
BarryR

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Mon Apr 14, 2014, 4:19am

I'm not sure I'd actually want to use the app on an iPhone or iPod, but if you have an iPad (or even iPad mini) it should be quite useful.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Hot Top roaster...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.242715120316)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+