Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Brew method best suited to ceramic burr Hario or Porlex hand grinder
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Brew method best...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
mguzzi

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Apr 11, 2014, 4:42pm
Subject: Brew method best suited to ceramic burr Hario or Porlex hand grinder

Until recently I've been a occasional coffee drinker so I just go to a good shop, and let them do the hard work! I've been drinking a cup a day and I would like to make my own with a minimal amount of money and fuss, while maintaining the best quality that I can.

From my reading here, grinders seem to be large part of the equation. Hand mills are often recommend, but I've noticed that other than the more expensive lido etc, they don't work well on coarse grinds, that seem to be recommend for some brewing techniques(CCD?)

Given that I'll buy a ceramic burr hand grinder, what simple brewing technique would work best within the limitations of the grinder(Either Porlex and Hario)?
Bonus points for a method that would allow the brewing of two cups at time on occasion.

Options considered so far:
Clever Coffee Dripper
Aeropress
Bonmac dripper
Bee house dripper

Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Apr 11, 2014, 5:13pm
Subject: Re: Brew method best suited to ceramic burr Hario or Porlex hand grinder

first off, welcome to CG!

Now, there's a simple mod for the Hario Skerton available from Orphan Espresso for about $15 to make it perform better for press pot (coarse)...if that's what you want.

I think one of the things you really need to decide is what brew method satisfies your taste buds and then look for the right gear for you to make that work, rather than decide on a grinder and then figure out how to best use it.

Once we know what you want to achieve, it'll be easier for us to help you optimize that.  Make sense to you?

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
mguzzi

Posted Fri Apr 11, 2014, 6:16pm
Subject: Re: Brew method best suited to ceramic burr Hario or Porlex hand grinder

Is if forgivable to say that I have no idea what I like best? At this point I know that I've enjoyed a range of different flavours. That is partly why I'm trying to keep it simple at the beginning, a chance to just try out different types of coffee, before a branch out in types of brewing!

Press pots are low on my list as I hate cleaning out the grounds, paper filters are a plus in the morning routine!

Thank you for the welcome!
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Apr 11, 2014, 7:15pm

forgivable? sure.  fortunately, you're in Vancouver where there are at lest a few good specialty coffee shops. perhaps you can wander in and do a bit of tasting?

be forewarned though...every prep method has some cleanup involved

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Skylar

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: lelit espresso
Grinder: lelit grinder
Vac Pot: B. D. Electric
Drip: chemex
Roaster: wok roast and popper, heat...
Posted Fri Apr 11, 2014, 7:22pm

After being frustrated by the amount of dust from a kitchen-aide grinder I put it in a closet and purchased a Hario Skerton. It is used to make my every day 700 cc chemex pot. After a few adjustments I have a grind which satisfies me and which is minus much of the dust of my formerly used grinder. I use a Lelit pl53 for espresso grind.  I do not use the Hario for a classic press pot but have tried it in my "impress" with satisfactory results.

Sky
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sat Apr 12, 2014, 7:36am

The most difficult grinds are coarse and fine.  Almost any burr grinder can do an acceptable job in the mid ranges.  

We each have our own standards.  According to mine, even with all the mods on earth, a Hario can't do better than barely adequate for either espresso or (coarse) press.  But it (and similar, small, hand grinders) handle all the methods which want mid-sized grinds, including pour over; Chemex, auto-drip; Aeropress; siphon; and vac, with aplomb.  

BTW, you can do reasonably good press with medium grinds and a few workarounds; although with most presses, a really good coarse grind is best.  

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
micvog

Espresso: None
Grinder: OE LIDO 1, Bodum Bistro...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: AeroPress, Beehouse, Chemex
Roaster: None
Posted Sat Apr 12, 2014, 9:04am

As a FYI the OE PFP mod does not work with recent vintage Skertons.

I am currently using a Skerton as I am in-between a LIDO 1 and a LIDO 2.  I would argue it isn't good for much more than fine grounds. I use it with an Aeropress with good results but was less happy with drip and would argue it doesn't work for Chemex.
mguzzi

Posted Sat Apr 12, 2014, 9:53am

Thank you for the responses so far!
So do pour over drippers (bonmac one hole style or bee house three hole) use medium or fine?!

Aeropress is fine?

Clever is fine or medium or course? I've found references to all there!!!

Anyone with experience with porlex?
johnnyb3

Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus refurb
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Chemex
Posted Sat Apr 12, 2014, 11:38am

mguzzi Said:

Thank you for the responses so far!
So do pour over drippers (bonmac one hole style or bee house three hole) use medium or fine?!

Aeropress is fine?

Clever is fine or medium or course? I've found references to all there!!!

Anyone with experience with porlex?

Posted April 12, 2014 link

Aeropress uses a pretty fine grind and one that the hand grinder should be able to produce pretty well.

Among the drippers, my choice for a hand grinder would be one you didn't mention, the Hario V60, because of its large aperture. You can grind finer and control the brew time with your pour. I use one with an old Zassenhaus hand mill, and I find it works pretty well.
Skylar

Espresso: lelit espresso
Grinder: lelit grinder
Vac Pot: B. D. Electric
Drip: chemex
Roaster: wok roast and popper, heat...
Posted Sat Apr 12, 2014, 12:10pm

As it has been stated that the Skerton "doesn't work for Chemex" I will cease using it for that at once. I will also instruct the bumble bees in my neighborhood that they cannot fly.

LOL, Sky
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Brew method best...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.254338979721)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+