Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bunn Trifecta MB Owners' Thread
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Trifecta MB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 40 of 46 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Socalsteve

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Versalab M3, Baratza Vario-W...
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Posted Wed Apr 9, 2014, 7:01pm
Subject: Re: Bunn Trifecta MB Owners' Thread

redkiosk Said:

Steve,

I can't help you with your girlfriend and the iCoffee, that's a problem WAY beyond me! But the hissing sound, maybe. Is the sound you hear near the end of the press-out? Are you getting "ppffft" at the very end? Are you brewing high altitude African coffee by chance? Mine has that problem A LOT with dense African coffee. When wet, the grinds tend to "snowball" and the resulting clumps occlude the filter screen. The Home version is designed to release pressure in the brew chamber (blow by the seal) at something like 5 PSI. This was necessary to get UL approval. The commercial version has a much higher release pressure. This is a documented issue with the Trifectas, especially with the home version and sometimes the commercial. Grinding slightly coarser tends to help the problem. I'd call Amanda and ask for a new shower head seal too. My problem continued with the new seal, but disappeared when I switched coffee. It wasn't until the third or forth African coffee did I realize it was the coffee and not the Trifecta. Hope this helps and take care!

Jim

Posted April 9, 2014 link

Yes, Ethiopian coffee for the most part. I gring the beans to the coarsest setting on my Baratza Vario W with steel burrs........Feel like I want a refund as this is surely a design flaw!!!

I'll call Amanda next week, but it's truly frustrating as that is my favorite coffee.

Thanks!

Steve
 View Profile Link to this post
BillH
BillH

Espresso: LeLit PL41TQ-PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte
Vac Pot: PITA
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB, Krups Moka...
Roaster: 'Elaine' Custom Diedrich...
Posted Wed Apr 9, 2014, 7:04pm

Not a design flaw. Ground your coffee more coarse. Seriously, that should solve your issue
Socalsteve

Posted Wed Apr 9, 2014, 8:05pm

BillH Said:

Not a design flaw. Ground your coffee more coarse. Seriously, that should solve your issue

Baratza Vario W with steel burrs, set all the way to the coarse setting on both sides....next!

Any other suggestions?
nachoslibres

Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Drip: Bunn trifecta MB
Posted Wed Apr 9, 2014, 10:08pm

Socalsteve Said:

How do you reverse the top seal? Not sure I even know what a top seal is.

Lower black valve of what???

Thanks!

Steve

Steve, the top seal is the circular rubber seal that gets pushed down on top of the brew chamber once you insert the brew chamber onto the trifecta and push the lever down.  You can easily reverse it by just gently pulling it off with your hands when a brew chamber isn't inserted into the machine.  You likely would want to clean this at the same time as it may have some coffee grinds/debris built up around it which may be affecting your seal.

The lower black valve is likely the bottom valve of the brew chamber (the one where the coffee or whatever liquid you have brewing comes out).  You can remove this by using your trifecta tool or flat screw driver to remove the filter screen out of the bottom of your brew chamber and then using the trifecta tool to remove the actual valve with the black o-ring on it.  You would want to clean this and make sure there isn't any debris on it and you might as well go ahead and remove the air infusion valve (the one with the red o-ring) out of the brew chamber as well.

Another thing to check/clean would be the two valves at the top of the machine - which are located close to the rubber seal that was mentioned earlier - and these are held on by a black plastic piece with a single screw with a philips head.  If you have never cleaned this there will likely be coffee grinds/debris in it.  Just make sure to note which valve goes on which side (I clean one at a time because I cannot remember myself).  These valves regulate the air pressure in the air infusion / press-out stages so cleaning these make help with your performance issues.
barkingburro
barkingburro

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Trifecta MB, CafeSolo,...
Posted Wed Apr 9, 2014, 11:28pm

Steve,

Before you start disassembling all your seals and filters, please answer Jim's question about whether you hear the hissing sound the entire time during the press-out or just at the very end. If it is during the entire time of the press-out, the problem is likely debris around one or more of the air-tight seals or valves, causing a continuous leak.

If the hissing sound suddenly appears near the end of the press-out, that does indicate the seal between the clamp and the top of the brew chamber became dislodged after the air pressure increased. Either the pressure was too high, because the coffee grounds are plugging the exit path(s), or the pressure was normal, and the top clamp seal has become misaligned.

Try running several water-only cycles and pay close attention to how well the top seal is seated when you close the clamp. Talk with Amanda at Bunn's customer service number. I'm sure she will quickly help you resolve the problem. In my case, I had an air leak resulting from a misaligned clamp. Bunn replaced my machine and I've had only to deal with occasional cleaning of the air and water filter screens above the brew chamber.

- Michael
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
redkiosk
redkiosk

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014, 4:06am

Socalsteve Said:

How do you reverse the top seal? Not sure I even know what a top seal is.

Steve,

There is a ribbed seal that goes around the shower head. With the brew chamber out, lower the top handle, which will lower the shower head. This seal sits in a groove on the outside edge of the shower head. Grab it and pull it out of the groove. Clean out the fins of the seal well and also take a damp paper towel to clean out the groove that the seal sits in., for there will definitely be coffee residue in there. Flipping the cleaned seal, before reinstalling it can extend it's useful life. I don't know how long you have had your Trifecta, but I make a habit to replace ALL the valves and seals on a yearly basis. That, along with monthly cleaning maintenance reduces my problems to only those related to African coffee.

I initially thought that I had a mis-aligned shower head clamp and Bunn replaced it. It was later that I determined it was the coffee. Hope this helps and take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
redkiosk
redkiosk

Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014, 4:19am

Socalsteve Said:

Baratza Vario W with steel burrs, set all the way to the coarse setting on both sides....next!

Any other suggestions?

Steve,

After reading a few posts back, I think you have a mis-aligned clamp/shower head. Unless your seal is really messed up, I can't see any other reason, especially with your grind size. I know a Preciso is a different beast, but I use a 21-22 setting which is slightly larger than drip and only have the problem with certain coffees. Bringing the grind size up SLIGHTLY (like 24) eliminates the problem. It's not a big deal to send it back to Bunn. They do a thorough check-up and will have it back to you in a few day. Just give Amanda a call. Take care!

Jim

Socalsteve

Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014, 7:55am

barkingburro Said:

Steve,

Before you start disassembling all your seals and filters, please answer Jim's question about whether you hear the hissing sound the entire time during the press-out or just at the very end. If it is during the entire time of the press-out, the problem is likely debris around one or more of the air-tight seals or valves, causing a continuous leak.

If the hissing sound suddenly appears near the end of the press-out, that does indicate the seal between the clamp and the top of the brew chamber became dislodged after the air pressure increased. Either the pressure was too high, because the coffee grounds are plugging the exit path(s), or the pressure was normal, and the top clamp seal has become misaligned.

Try running several water-only cycles and pay close attention to how well the top seal is seated when you close the clamp. Talk with Amanda at Bunn's customer service number. I'm sure she will quickly help you resolve the problem. In my case, I had an air leak resulting from a misaligned clamp. Bunn replaced my machine and I've had only to deal with occasional cleaning of the air and water filter screens above the brew chamber.

Yes, only at the end of the press out stage does it start hissing...sometimes so badly that it doesn't even empty the canister of all of the brewed coffee. That's the most frustrating!

Ok, in cleaning the valves on the bottom of the brew chamber, I cannot for the life of me get out one of the screens in one of my two brew chambers. The other one comes out easily, cleaned out the valve, etc.

Any suggestions on how to get the screen out?

Thank you all so much for the great explanations on how to do maintenance on the Trifecta. It's surely appreciated!

Steve
redkiosk
redkiosk

Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014, 9:47am

Socalsteve Said:

Any suggestions on how to get the screen out?

Posted April 10, 2014 link

At this point, look for a screwdriver with a blade that will fit the slot in the screen the tightest. Preferably one long enough that the handle sticks out above the brew chamber. I found that I needed to use a screwdriver for quite a few times until the engagement pin/slot that holds it in place, wore in a bit. After that, the tool they supplied has worked great. The more you remove the filter screen to clean it, the easier it will become to loosen it. I have a third brew chamber that hardly ever gets use and recently I needed to use a screwdriver to get that one out. I highly recommend cleaning the filter screen weekly, especially after you see what accumulates on the bottom surface of the screen.

The shower head clamp/housing can eventually become mis-aligned over time if the brew chamber is not inserted fully into the holder/shelf. There's play that lets the shower head and brew chamber lip align when lowered, but after a while, I'm betting it eventually knocks it out of alignment. Until I purchased some of that Dow silicone seal lubricant and periodically wiped a bit on the air injection nozzle, I would have times where the brew chamber felt tight or didn't slide in easily. Take care!

Jim

nachoslibres

Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Drip: Bunn trifecta MB
Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014, 4:35pm

redkiosk Said:

At this point, look for a screwdriver with a blade that will fit the slot in the screen the tightest. Preferably one long enough that the handle sticks out above the brew chamber. I found that I needed to use a screwdriver for quite a few times until the engagement pin/slot that holds it in place, wore in a bit. After that, the tool they supplied has worked great. The more you remove the filter screen to clean it, the easier it will become to loosen it. I have a third brew chamber that hardly ever gets use and recently I needed to use a screwdriver to get that one out. I highly recommend cleaning the filter screen weekly, especially after you see what accumulates on the bottom surface of the screen.

The shower head clamp/housing can eventually become mis-aligned over time if the brew chamber is not inserted fully into the holder/shelf. There's play that lets the shower head and brew chamber lip align when lowered, but after a while, I'm betting it eventually knocks it out of alignment. Until I purchased some of that Dow silicone seal lubricant and periodically wiped a bit on the air injection nozzle, I would have times where the brew chamber felt tight or didn't slide in easily. Take care!

Jim

Posted April 10, 2014 link

Great tips.  I have to use a screwdriver to get mine out since I only clean mine every 3 months.  Maybe I should start doing it more often because it bugs me that the tool doesn't work to take it out.
showing page 40 of 46 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Trifecta MB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.388872146606)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+