Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
To invert, or not to invert?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > To invert, or...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
coffeebeforesleep

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Apr 3, 2014, 9:47pm
Subject: To invert, or not to invert?

What is your preferred method of using the Aeropress, inverted or "standard?" What is the rationale behind your selected method?

Happy plunging!
 View Profile Link to this post
derevaun
derevaun
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Shoes and wallet
Grinder: Hario Mini, Baratza Maestro
Vac Pot: Yama 5c
Drip: Clever, BCM4
Roaster: My neighbor's Diedrich
Posted Thu Apr 3, 2014, 10:20pm
Subject: Re: To invert, or not to invert?

I don't invert, because it's inconvenient. A vac pot gives a much better return on that amount of effort, IMHO. If the Aeropress had more capacity to hold a blooming brew, I'd be more interested in taking advantage of how it exposes the variables in coffee brewing.

I have a lot of respect for folks here who expertly coax awesome coffee from the thing. But for me, it feels like I'm fighting with the design and that there are better options. On the other hand, I like the AP as a reasonably simple way to hack out a nice, revealing cup of coffee.
MWJB

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Rocky, Lido, Porlex, Hario...
Drip: Not enough room to list...
Posted Fri Apr 4, 2014, 12:34am

coffeebeforesleep Said:

What is your preferred method of using the Aeropress, inverted or "standard?" What is the rationale behind your selected method?

Happy plunging!

Posted April 3, 2014 link

I use both inverted or non-inverted. Inverted if I'm not in a hurry & always over the kitchen sink (drips when flipping), sometimes I just weigh in the grinds but not water. I tend to combine everything inverted, then flip for the steep, washing the grinds off the bung.

Non-inverted if I want a quicker cup, tend to weigh both grinds & water.

Inverted is better for ensuring an even steep with no/little percolation. Non inverted can be more a combination of percolation & steep, or swing more towards percolation depending on method.

If I'm just brewing 1 cup's worth, then I mostly use the Aeropress.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Apr 4, 2014, 5:47am

I too like a vac pot but the Aeropress is the daily driver at work. It is easy to use, little mess and a minimum of equipment as if that made any difference to my work setup lol.

I find it easier to brew inverted, just add water, stirr, let bloom, screw the cap on and hold the filter end over the cup as it is reverted to brew position. I do not have issues of leaks but perhaps it is only that I learned to not have them from use, IDK.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Apr 4, 2014, 10:45am

I use my Aeropress solely for travel purposes.  I use it inverted. I find it's actually less messy than using it "standard", becasue there's no leak past the plunger, but when you use it "standard" there's (at least for me) always a couple/few drips making it out the bottom somewhere onto the work surface.  Also, I don't like the airpocket between the top of the brew and the plunger, and inverted, you can sort of "press" the coffee up, so that there's no air pocket when you screw on the filter cap.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
jpender
jpender

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Fri Apr 4, 2014, 11:30am

I use in it one three ways depending on grind, desired steep time and mood: inverted; non-inverted; and with a valve replacing the cap.

emradguy Said:

I don't like the airpocket between the top of the brew and the plunger...

Posted April 4, 2014 link

Why not?
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Apr 4, 2014, 11:36am

um....I guess it's the sound it makes when I press.  I suppose that's silly, but for whatever reason it bothers me.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
wabbitt
wabbitt
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: stovetop pots,aeropress
Grinder: skerton, SoloGrind
Drip: melitta cone, chemex
Posted Fri Apr 4, 2014, 1:50pm

I use it like a drip because I like drip brew, besides my tumblers are 16 oz.

I might steep for a couple minutes non-inverted.  I don't leak, the suction holds it in just fine, but then I pull the plunger out so I can add more water through the grounds.  When I reach my volume, I plunge to dry the puck before ejecting it.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Apr 7, 2014, 6:41am

I too brew into a 16 oz mug but I only go one time through the grounds, add hot water to bring to the top of the mug. Works for me with no mess. YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
jpender
jpender

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Mon Apr 7, 2014, 9:08am

I used the Aeropress inverted this morning for the first time in a while. I'd forgotten how tight it can be in terms of volume. I couldn't get all the water in at first and had to stir and wait and still it was right at the very top. It's tempting to put the plunger in just the tiniest bit but that's asking for an accident. My valve approach adds additional volume since there's no plunger. But non-inverted is the most forgiving since some of the liquid invariably ends up dripping through. Maybe using it the way it's designed is the best? Nah.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > To invert, or...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.292774915695)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+