Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Newbie shopping for an auto drip machine
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Newbie shopping...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
kschendel

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Maestro
Roaster: Freshroast
Posted Thu Apr 3, 2014, 10:03am
Subject: Re: Newbie shopping for an auto drip machine

Personally, the only drip machine I'd buy used is the Melitta BCM-4, and that's because it's not made any more.  It's a great little dripper but it's basically a one or maybe two cup machine (small).

While I don't think that there's anything terribly wrong with a used machine, for me the uncertainty wouldn't be worth the possible savings.  Plus, the current "usual suspects" (Bunn, Brazen, Bonavita) have very good customer service reputations and if you get a stinker they should take care of you.

If you're brewing coffee for one, I'd seriously consider a BCM-4 off of ebay or craigslist, plus a hand grinder such as the small Hario.  (Or, go all the way and get an OE Lido 2...)  For me, 45 seconds of turning a crank is worth it for fresher coffee.
 View Profile Link to this post
Lindsey

Posted Thu Apr 3, 2014, 10:32am

Bonavita and a Capresso burr grinder are on order.  I'm having them shipped over night (I love Amazon Prime), just can't drink the swill coming out of the Black & Decker any longer.

It was a tough decision between the BV and the TV, but in the end, decided that we were probably getting just a little more for our money with the BV.

Thank you for the advice, it was very helpful.  

PS: I have been informed that all bets are off with regards to grinding rules, that I can expect to be woken up in the middle of the night.  Thanks for helping me create a monster :P
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Apr 3, 2014, 10:36am

Lindsey Said:

We keep different schedules, waking someone up while grinding coffee beans would start WWIII in our house.

Posted April 2, 2014 link

Get a hand grinder, I have a Hario Slim (they make another one called a Skerton). Doesn't take long to grind for coarse, and quieter then an electric grinder. Drinking preground out of any of these machines won't do it justice (no sense in spending all that money without fresh beans/grinder as you'll be better off buying a cheap machine at a store), beans need to be ground right before use, trust us... you'll see a massive difference. Plus tons of roasters online you can order from that'll ship right to the house for pretty cheap. Just weigh how many beans (grams) you need, dump in, and grind away.
msboo

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Thu Apr 3, 2014, 11:42am

Is your ordered grinder a Capresso Infinity 560 or 565 (same exact grinders, 1 plastic housing the other stainless) If so be sure to clean every time after grinding, they retain a fair amount of grinds. Post and let us know how all goes.

Enjoy your brew!
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Apr 3, 2014, 12:15pm

Lindsey Said:

Bonavita and a Capresso burr grinder are on order.  I'm having them shipped over night (I love Amazon Prime), just can't drink the swill coming out of the Black & Decker any longer.

It was a tough decision between the BV and the TV, but in the end, decided that we were probably getting just a little more for our money with the BV.

Thank you for the advice, it was very helpful.  

PS: I have been informed that all bets are off with regards to grinding rules, that I can expect to be woken up in the middle of the night.  Thanks for helping me create a monster :P

Posted April 3, 2014 link

Shoulda gone with the Encore, after having a Capresso Infinity, the Encore was much better for coarse grinding. Quieter, better grind quality/consistency (Capresso produces a lot of dust in comparison) and almost no grinds retention. But either way it'll be much better than pre-ground. Just make sure you weigh your beans on a gram scale that way you know what your dose  should be and ratio to water for amount of grinds. If you just use measuring scoops you'll be all over the place for weight as beans can be all different sizes and weights. My scale was like 10 bucks

Does your shop roast themselves or carry beans from local/known roasters? If it's just normal grocery store type beans, you can order from plenty of places online to ship to the house, or google/yelp your area for real coffee shops, might be surprised at whats around maybe even some roasters ;)

I too love Amazon Prime, had it for years and has far paid for itself pry 100x over in shipping cost alone if I had had everything shipped 2nd day without it lol.
TheRealScubaSteve
TheRealScubaSteve
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Delonghi EC155
Grinder: Baratza Encore
Posted Thu Apr 3, 2014, 1:07pm

If you just use measuring scoops you'll be all over the place for weight as beans can be all different sizes and weights. My scale was like 10 bucks.x]

Very good advice. This was the thing that held me back initially. Dosing with a scoop that came with my EC155 yielded up to 5 gram variances depending on beans and freshness. I was using a super-sensitive scale to measure gun powder that I had on hand. I bought a cheap small and compact scale on Amazon that is just as accurate - even less than $10.

"But it is not a perfect world and none of us are god-shots.  As for me, I am a little over extracted and therefore slightly bitter and my crema is thin..." -Buckley
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Newbie shopping...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.268119812012)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+