Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Newbie shopping for an auto drip machine
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Newbie shopping...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Lindsey

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 5:09pm
Subject: Re: Newbie shopping for an auto drip machine

msboo Said:

but STILL got the Bonavita Thermal model. Since the filter basket sits directly on top of the carafe during brewing (glass model too), I just found it simpler to remove the basket after brewing, dump the grounds, rinse w/hot water then set it on the counter next to the brewer, carafe goes back on the brewer and we serve from there. We downsized so counter space is like expensive real estate. LOL  I considered the glass model since I have other thermal carafes and would work in the same amount of space BUT after decanting brew, I would need to rinse the carafe and filter basket, wait for heating plate to cool before putting all back on brewer---while hot coffee in older carafe would sit next to the brewer.

My BV carafe is glass-lined BUT I read on here that they've gone to stainless-lined carafes. I want a Brazen brewer for those times I don't need a full pot----suppose to brew smaller amounts better due to optional settings.

Posted April 2, 2014 link

I'm starting to lean towards the Bonavita.  It looks like they may have improved the product and customer service.   I still don't think I want the thermal.  I have an aversion to stainless steel lined carafes and to pour through lids and besides, I like my carafes and frequently have two in use at a time anyway.  

Hmmm, to me, 8 cups is a small amount :)
 View Profile Link to this post
Lindsey

Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 5:11pm

CMIN Said:

Bonavita is excellent and fairly cheap for what you get. Either way, do you have a grinder? Grinder and fresh roasted beans are a must, well not a must, but getting a Bonavita etc and not doing so is a complete waste (don't use preground or store bought beans with use by/best by dates)

Grinding at home is not practical for us, so I just have the beans ground at the coffee shop.  We drink such a large volume that an open bag doesn't last a week, so I'm not worried.
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 5:11pm

Lindsey Said:

I did not say recent...  All of the models I listed are quite old and were, for many years made in Germany.  Since their country of origin is stamped on the bottom, it's pretty easy to establish where they came from.

I suppose if you can find an old machine, cheap enough, in good enough shape.  What's a ten year old auto-drip worth?  Ten, fifteen bucks maybe?  

Given the advances that have come along in auto-drip brewing, if I could afford a better modern machine, that's how I'd roll.  But different people have different priorities.  

Most consumer coffee machine manufacture has moved to China or other parts of the race to the bottom of the labor costs third world.  Like it or not, that's how it is with most consumer electronics.  If you want something built in Europe, you're free to buy a Technivorm.    

I'm curious, is there a reason you did not list the Bonavita?  They claim to have SCAA certification.

I thought they did, looked at the SCAA webpage which lists the "approved" machines, and was thinking Bonavita when I wrote Behmor.  Just a dumb, ADD error.  My bad.  Consider my post corrected.  

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Lindsey

Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 5:21pm

msboo Said:

my Krups, along with all mass marketed brewers (like you've mentioned using) DO NOT brew hot enough. It brewed canned stuff just fine but fresh roasted & ground NOT.

I think this varies quite a lot from one model to the next.  Krups has also suffered a serious decline in quality in recent years.  I researched mine before buying it. It made pretty good coffee and brewed a heck of a lot hotter than this Black & Decker piece of $%*!.  

I don't really mind spending $150 on a good machine, I was just scared off by a number of reviews that included complaints about common parts failures and abysmal customer service.  I don't want to spend $150 to have nothing but trouble.
Lindsey

Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 5:28pm

boar_d_laze Said:

I suppose if you can find an old machine, cheap enough, in good enough shape.  What's a ten year old auto-drip worth?  Ten, fifteen bucks maybe?  

Given the advances that have come along in auto-drip brewing, if I could afford a better modern machine, that's how I'd roll.  

Actually, the ones with a good reputation, in good condition, go, on average, for $35-60.

I think you're getting to the heart of my question about buying used.  You're saying there have been significant advances auto drip brewing in the last, what, 10-15 years?  If that's the case, if it's true that none of these older machines, no matter how highly rated, can possibly compare to these new SCAA machines, then I suppose that's what I'm looking for.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 5:32pm

Lindsey Said:

Grinding at home is not practical for us, so I just have the beans ground at the coffee shop.  We drink such a large volume that an open bag doesn't last a week, so I'm not worried.

Not practical? All you do is put beans in a grinder and turn it on :) Using preground even if from a  eal coffee shop that roast their own or carries roasters (not Charbucks etc), your drinking stale beans as they start stailing around 15 min or so. Be like buying a Porsche (Bonavita) and throwing some suv tires on, sure you'll get around... but why, your not going to use it to it's potential ;)

Nothing against your Krups, but anything from a store is pretty junk, poor brewing and not right temps. Fresh beans ground before use, and a Bonavita and you'll see a huge difference in coffee. Fresh beans still make a big difference though, we stay at a friends in Cali and they just have a Mr Coffee, I buy some fresh beans out there and have a Hario Mini for traveling to grind, night and day difference even on that machine vs preground.
Lindsey

Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 5:42pm

CMIN Said:

Not practical? All you do is put beans in a grinder and turn it on :) Using preground even if from a  eal coffee shop that roast their own or carries roasters (not Charbucks etc), your drinking stale beans as they start stailing around 15 min or so. Be like buying a Porsche (Bonavita) and throwing some suv tires on, sure you'll get around... but why, your not going to use it to it's potential ;)

We keep different schedules, waking someone up while grinding coffee beans would start WWIII in our house.
msboo

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 5:56pm

Lindsey.....  Just saw your last post, it got on before I finished my last (phone call distraction) so that's back about 4 posts.

So you guys get fresh grounds at a local coffee shop that brewed good for you with your Krups. One thing you might consider is to buy a Technivorm from William Sonoma and try that out. Technivorm and Bonavita are similar in side by side taste tests, both brew great coffee at 40oz capacity in that 5.5 to 6 minute time frame and in proper temp range. I tried a Technivorm and loved the coffee but preferred the Bonavita for simplicity/practicality----I returned the Tech to my local WS store. Who knows, you may just find the Tech is a keeper!
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 10:00pm

I have some older Krups, Braun, and Melitta machines. Most of these came from thrift stores that  let me test them first with water and cost between 2 and 5 bucks. The KF-180 is nice, but the Braun KF400 is easier to find and will make a good pot of coffee. Older Melitta machines don't turn up very often in my area but the ones I have are nice in my opinion. I use a 4 cup Krups machine almost daily so I like that brand too.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
msboo

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Thu Apr 3, 2014, 6:30am

Lindsey.... I've read a few posts here where grinding just prior to brewing might be too noisy due to others still sleeping so those posters were considering grinding the night before. Can't tell you how that works for them. I will have to say that I've had to grab my coffee 'stuff' last minute, run to my daughter's house then brew there---doing a pour-over. No choice but to grind before leaving so put grounds in a small Ball canning jar---great to have fresh coffee 30 mins later, turned out fine. Another time I tried grounds that were 24 hours old, brewed up pretty good. Grinding the night before is far better than grounds 2 plus days old.

ALWAYS BEST to use fresh roast, grind just prior to brewing at proper temp range!
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Newbie shopping...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.346364021301)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+