Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
challenge: grind and brew, single serve drip machine that works
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > challenge: grind...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
bval

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Feb 26, 2014, 10:41am
Subject: challenge: grind and brew, single serve drip machine that works

Hi, folks. New here but hoping you can help me solve this puzzle. I'm looking for a machine that so far doesn't seem to exist.

I'm basically in search of a superautomatic that does drip-style coffee, not (or at least not only) espresso. I'm aware of all of the drawbacks that come with a superautomatic but I am looking to place this in a common break area of a shared coworking building, and my goal is to find something that's so easy to use that anybody can walk up without training and find the correct button to push. In essence, the ease of use of a pod machine without the waste or terrible coffee.

I can find dozens of quality superautomatics that do grind and brew single serve espresso, but not a one that does something more akin to drip-style coffee.

I've considered a standalone grinder with hopper paired with a single-serve drip machine, but again, it's going in a common area and I'm not convinced this group can handle that without leaving a mess.

Does this machine exist? Who makes it?

Thanks,

Brandon
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Feb 26, 2014, 1:46pm
Subject: Re: challenge: grind and brew, single serve drip machine that works

A plumbed in drip brewer by any of the big commercial makers, Bunn, Fetco, Curtis and the like are easy to use, put the cone of coffee grounds in the slot and push the button.
http://www.bunn.com/products/thermal/axiom_dv_aps.html

As for a grinder, you can get something like the LPG grinder from Bunn, again, it is simple to use. It is adjusted once when it is setup and from then on, put paper filter in the drip cone, put the cone in the slot, push the button.
Click Here (www.bigtray.com)

With a setup like this, the steps are easy for anyone to do and there is no measuring, cans to open or mess on the counter, the coffee is the same time after time regardless of who makes it.

Of course, for larger volume of coffee, you can get brewers that use larger dispensers or brew two at a time. Using a dispenser of some sort prevents the burnt coffee in a pot that no one wants to drink.

A sink and trash can will be needed but that is common for food prep locations.

A setup like this is not inexpensive and you can not buy it at Wallmart or Target and it will need to be installed but in use it is consistent, easy and as clean as you are going to get.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
christopher197404

Posted Mon Mar 17, 2014, 7:12pm

bval Said:

I'm basically in search of a superautomatic that does drip-style coffee, not (or at least not only) espresso. I'm aware of all of the drawbacks that come with a superautomatic but I am looking to place this in a common break area of a shared coworking building, and my goal is to find something that's so easy to use that anybody can walk up without training and find the correct button to push. In essence, the ease of use of a pod machine without the waste or terrible coffee.

I can find dozens of quality superautomatics that do grind and brew single serve espresso, but not a one that does something more akin to drip-style coffee.

Posted February 26, 2014 link

Have you ever thought about some commercial single serve brewing systems? However, in my mind these kind of coffee machines could only brew a not too bad coffee. For most grind and brew coffee makers, they are almost 1o cups or 12 cups, maybe because the coffee grinding for the drip coffee maker costs some time and more energy and it is too uneconomical to grind coffee beans for just single cup.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
gparis

Espresso: La Victoria, Solis 5K
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Yama
Roaster: Hot Top, Fresh Roast
Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014, 7:37am

There are many super autos that will serve you a full cup of coffee. each of the ones I have had in the past and now will make a full cup of coffee with fresh ground.

adjusting your ground for a cup of coffee, adjusting your amount of water for 8 to 12 oz is easy in many of the super autos.

when you say drip style is it the idea of an espresso puck you are opposed to?

a great cup of coffee can be had with super autos. my old Solis 5K made great cups of coffee.

my new Miele CM 5K does it even better...

ginny
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > challenge: grind...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.222297906876)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+