Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
trouble with chemex bleached vs unbleached
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > trouble with...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
joey

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Oscar
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Fri Mar 7, 2014, 11:09pm
Subject: trouble with chemex bleached vs unbleached

i've been using unbleached filters with my own roasted coffee for quite some time.  i was making good tasting coffee ending up with a little over a 4 min brew. last week i bought a box of bleached filters since i've seen many people say the unbleached taste "papery".  i wanted to see if theres a difference myself.  
for some reason, the last three batches have pretty much stalled halfway through.  i'm using the same method and grind that i've always used.  the only difference is the filter.  i usually ground at a 4.5 on my mazzer and on the most recent one i did it at 6.  i may have gotten a little more out of it, but i'm still not even halfway there.
all three times i used the same coffee--could that be the issue?  i dont have any other coffee to try right now-got behind on roasting.
has anyone else switched between unbleached and bleached and had issues like this?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MWJB

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Rocky, Lido, Porlex, Hario...
Drip: Not enough room to list...
Posted Sat Mar 8, 2014, 4:39am
Subject: Re: trouble with chemex bleached vs unbleached

The weave on the bleached papers may be a little more open, thus clogging with a finer grind, sounds like you need to go coarser.
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeNark

Posted Sat Mar 8, 2014, 9:01am

I used the unbleached when I first got my Chemex and just recently switched to the bleached.  I have definitely had to go coarser in my grind.
jaybar

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Mar 8, 2014, 2:15pm

Hi

I spoke with Chemex yesterday. They were aware of issues with the white folded square filters in the new packaging. Unfortunately, whether you end up having a problem depends on when the filters were supplied by chemex to the merchant you purchased them from. The problem seems to be rectified, but whether one ends up with a bad box depends on the supply chain.

According to Chemex, they are not aware of the natural filters having the issue or the folded circles. YMMV.

Jay
jaybar

Posted Sat Mar 8, 2014, 2:18pm

I did not find that grinding coarser had an appreciable effect.

Jay
SleepySteve

Espresso: Nespresso
Grinder: Virtuoso
Drip: Various Chemexes, V60es
Posted Sun Mar 9, 2014, 2:17am

This happened to me about 6-8 months ago and thought I was going crazy. Original box ordered from Amazon, thought it was a bad batch, ordered another box a week later. Same! Stalled midway.

Even without coffee, the bleached squares would sometimes back up just straight boiled water to a ridiculously slow drip.
joey

Espresso: Oscar
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sun Mar 9, 2014, 12:02pm

jaybar Said:

Hi

I spoke with Chemex yesterday. They were aware of issues with the white folded square filters in the new packaging. Unfortunately, whether you end up having a problem depends on when the filters were supplied by chemex to the merchant you purchased them from. The problem seems to be rectified, but whether one ends up with a bad box depends on the supply chain.

According to Chemex, they are not aware of the natural filters having the issue or the folded circles. YMMV.

Jay

Posted March 8, 2014 link

so is chemex doing anything about this?  next batch i'll try coarser but i dont know if i can go coarse enough to hit close to four minutes.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jaybar

Posted Sun Mar 9, 2014, 1:59pm

I did not find coarser to help. I found the natural to work and will try the circles. I get the sense from Chemex that the latest production has corrected the problem. The issue is already what is in distribution.

Jay
kennyrsmith

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Dalla Corte Mini
Grinder: Mahlkonig Pro M/Baratza...
Posted Thu Mar 13, 2014, 5:21pm

Hmm, that's really interesting. I have always had much more papery taste out of the unbleached filters. Do you generally rinse your filters before brewing? It may help if you run around 100ml of water through the filter before brewing.
jaybar

Posted Thu Mar 13, 2014, 6:02pm

I generally rinse with 6-10 ounces of just boiled water.
That is about 280-300ml of water.

Jay
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > trouble with...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.264904975891)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+