Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Grinder for French Press and Vac Pot
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Grinder for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Bman

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Quickmill Anita
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Vac Pot: Nope, Bodum Press
Drip: Not any more
Roaster: I-Roast, Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Mar 6, 2014, 4:56am
Subject: Grinder for French Press and Vac Pot

Hi All, I am in the market for a new burr grinder for my French press and vac pot.  I was thinking about the Baratza Encore or the Capresso Infinity.  I would like to keep this in the 100 dollar range, and this will be an improvement over my 20 dolllar whirly blade, which had done well for the past 15 years.  Are these grinders any good or is there other models that I should consider?

Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
GlennM

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Mar 6, 2014, 10:17am
Subject: Re: Grinder for French Press and Vac Pot

I have a Baratza Virtuoso Preciso at home and a Capresso Infinity at my office.  I use the Capresso exclusively for french press and/or pour over and I've been extremely satisfied with this grinder.  I've owned it for over 5 years and it is used daily.  Great little grinder for the price and size (small and light).  I'm not familiar with the Encore, but have nothing but great things to say about Capresso Infinity.  Also, I've tapped into Capresso's  customer service/repair department over the years and the service has been excellent.
DigMe

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser,...
Grinder: Super Jolly, Mazzer Mini,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Capresso ST600, Presto...
Roaster: Behmor, SC/CO, Poppery I,...
Posted Fri Mar 7, 2014, 7:29am

I agree with everything that Glenn has said.  My Capresso Infinity is now going at 10 years of almost daily use (no exaggeration) with an occasional burr replacement and the grind quality is still excellent.  I mostly use it for drip and manual pourover both with a paper filter and a swiss gold pourover but I do an occasional French press and an occasional vacuum brew.  I use a Mazzer for espresso.  I also experienced customer service from Capresso that really surprised me.  I didn't expect it to be that good from a larger company.

brad

ch-ch-ch-ch-ch
Bman

Posted Fri Mar 7, 2014, 7:32am

OK, that is very good to know.  I was on their website and they also make a regular burr grinder for like 50 bucks, non-conical burrs.  I wonder how this would compare for french press and vac pot coffee?  I am also looking into an Aeropress for travel and maybe even camping.
DigMe

Posted Fri Mar 7, 2014, 7:39am

Bman Said:

OK, that is very good to know.  I was on their website and they also make a regular burr grinder for like 50 bucks, non-conical burrs.  I wonder how this would compare for french press and vac pot coffee?  I am also looking into an Aeropress for travel and maybe even camping.

Posted March 7, 2014 link

Don't do it..  Just put out the money for the Infinity.  It has great reviews that have stood the test of time.  The flat burr grinders that are that cheap are NOT good.

brad

ch-ch-ch-ch-ch
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Fri Mar 7, 2014, 12:28pm

The Encore and Infinity are adequate for Vac and drip, but at coarser settings their irregular particle size requires using work-arounds for French press.  Those include things like a finer than otherwise optimal grind (and still living with a lot of sediment), the "French pull," etc.  

"Good" for press starts at around $200 with the Baratza Virtuoso and Breville Smart (available for $160 at BB&B with a 20% off coupon).  We used a Smart for three years and were very happy with it.  

"Very Good" FP starts at around the same price with two manual grinders; the by Knock by Hausgrind and the Orphan Espresso Lido 2.  The least expensive, "very good" FP electric grinder is the Baratza Vario with steel, Ditting, "brew" burrs -- around $500 new, but you can get them for less directly from Baratza as a "refurb."  Just be sure to tell them which burrs you want.    

Getting back to realistic levels of sticker shock:
I know it's expensive compared to a Bodum clone and a blade grinder, but if you're serious about press an Espro and a Smart will shift your paradigm.  

Good luck,
Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Bman

Posted Mon Mar 10, 2014, 12:19pm

GlennM Said:

I have a Baratza Virtuoso Preciso at home and a Capresso Infinity at my office.  I use the Capresso exclusively for french press and/or pour over and I've been extremely satisfied with this grinder.  I've owned it for over 5 years and it is used daily.  Great little grinder for the price and size (small and light).  I'm not familiar with the Encore, but have nothing but great things to say about Capresso Infinity.  Also, I've tapped into Capresso's  customer service/repair department over the years and the service has been excellent.

Posted March 6, 2014 link

Which would you prefer for FP coffee, the Infinity or the Baratza?

Thanks
GlennM

Posted Thu Mar 13, 2014, 8:03am

If price were not a factor, I would take the Baratza, because it has more versatility, if my needs changed in the future (i.e. I was thinking of using for espresso).

This said, taking price into consideration and if I felt confident that I'd only use for FP, then I would hands down go with the Capresso.  It's substantially less expensive and will do everything (in my opinion) required to grind beans for press coffee.   I also really like that it's quite small and very light.  Yes it's plastic, but this hasn't seemed to affect performance or durability.

Hope this helps.
kennyrsmith

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Dalla Corte Mini
Grinder: Mahlkonig Pro M/Baratza...
Posted Thu Mar 13, 2014, 5:19pm

I would definitely go for the conical capresso infinity over the $50 one. I used to own this grinder and it was awesome for the price. I think the Baratza Encore is a bit nicer built, less staticy, and has more grind settings but it is also pricier. You really can't go wrong with either of them!
DigMe

Posted Fri Mar 14, 2014, 12:38pm

GlennM Said:

This said, taking price into consideration and if I felt confident that I'd only use for FP, then I would hands down go with the Capresso.  It's substantially less expensive and will do everything (in my opinion) required to grind beans for press coffee.   I also really like that it's quite small and very light.  Yes it's plastic, but this hasn't seemed to affect performance or durability.

Hope this helps.

Posted March 13, 2014 link

The size thing is a really good point as I always take mine with me on car trips and occasionally flights too.  On car trips it conveniently fits in a standard canvas bag with my Bodum mini Ibis boiler, beans, scoop, pourover and filters.   You could probably fit the grinder, boiler and a very slim French press in there together too.  The Mini Ibis is the perfect travel boiler as well IMO.  Not sure if they make it in Mini anymore or not.  

brad

ch-ch-ch-ch-ch
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Grinder for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.296281814575)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+