Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Coffee ratios
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Coffee ratios  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 7 last page next page
Author Messages
joemom

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Mar 2, 2014, 4:42pm
Subject: Coffee ratios

Will someone teach me how to understand what a coffee ratio of like 1:16 means?

and also for cold brew how much coffee should you do for water? My device holds 6 cups and im using light roast beans with a filter in the cup

And the same for cold brew concentrate?

Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sun Mar 2, 2014, 7:35pm
Subject: Re: Coffee ratios

joemom Said:

Will someone teach me how to understand what a coffee ratio of like 1:16 means?

Posted March 2, 2014 link

Weight of ground coffee : Weight of brew water.  For a liter of water, 1 : 16 means  62.5g coffee : 1000g water.  As a matter of convenience, the classic "recipe" is 1L of water and 60g coffee.  

For cold brew how much coffee should you do for water? My device holds 6 cups and im using light roast beans with a filter in the cup

Lots of theories.  Generally the ratios for cold brew are the same as for drip or press.   1 : 14 is strong, 1 : 16 in the middle, and 1 : 18 is mild.  Note that, if you're making iced coffee, brew strong to account for melting ice; and don't forget to make simple syrup.  

And the same for cold brew concentrate?

Depends on how you're' going to dilute it for the finished cup.  If you're going to dilute 1 : 1, you might want to start with a concentrate ratio of about (wait for it) 1 : 7 or 1 : 8.  One of the nice things of working with concentrate is that if your coffee is too strong or too weak you can add more water or concentrate as need or taste dictates.

Hope this helps,
Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
squaremile

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Mar 2, 2014, 8:28pm

It's easier just to convert everything into the same unit, usually grams. So 16:1 is 16g or water to 1g of coffee.
boar_d_laze

Posted Sun Mar 2, 2014, 9:59pm

squaremile Said:

It's easier just to convert everything into the same unit, usually grams. So 16:1 is 16g or water to 1g of coffee.

At the surface of the earth, 1ml of water = 1g; consequently 1L of water = 1000g.  Such is the magic of the metric system.

When using the US system of weight and volume, conveniently 1fl oz of water weighs (wait for it) 1oz.  That means that a quart of water is not only 32fl oz, but weighs 32oz, and therefore, for each quart of water, the 1:16 brew ratio requires 2oz of coffee.  I feel competent to perform the arithmetic in my little, wooden head without a calculator.  YMMV.

At some point, no matter which system or set of units you choose you're either going to have to perform some calculations or count things out 16gm of water, 1 of coffee; 16 more grams of grams, 1 more of coffee, and so on until the brewer is full.  

I as well as many others usually find it easier to measure brew water by volume -- using a measuring cup, a pitcher, the line in my kettle, or just knowing the volume of my brewing vessel -- rather than putting the brewing vessel on the scale and weighing the water as it's poured.  

Rich
andys
andys
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Mon Mar 3, 2014, 6:37am

boar_d_laze Said:

At the surface of the earth, 1ml of water = 1g; consequently 1L of water = 1000g.  Such is the magic of the metric system.

I, too, am a fan of the metric system. but it doesn't supersede the intrinsic properties of matter.

1ml of water = 1g at 4 degrees Celcius only. At other temperatures, water is less dense, and at atmospheric pressure there's a 4% difference in density between water at room temperature and water at boiling temperature.

This a a pretty small difference, but it matters for people calculating extraction yield. That's why sticking with grams only is the best way.

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Mar 3, 2014, 10:10am

boar_d_laze Said:

At the surface of the earth

Are you referring to "sea level"?  Because the earth's surface isn't as smooth as a billiard ball appears to us.  If one were to say, drop a coin on the top of a very high mountain, it would technically be on "the surface of the earth".

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Mon Mar 3, 2014, 12:01pm

Water density doesn't vary appreciably with changes in elevation and associated atmospheric pressure. The effect of temperature is more noticeable, as Andy pointed out.

The volume of 1 gram of water:

1.00296 ml -- 25C at sea level
1.00299 ml -- 25C at the elevation of the summit of Mt. Everest
1.012 ml -- 50C at sea level
1.040 ml -- 95C at sea level
boar_d_laze

Posted Mon Mar 3, 2014, 12:49pm

Quit busting my balls and -- after remembering that the context of this thread is COLD brewing -- either don't measure your water as it approaches boiling or account for the difference if you labor under the mistaken belief that it matters.  

My points are as follows:
  1. "Gram" is a unit of mass as well as weight (mass at the sea-level, surface of the Earth).  The context for "surface of the Earth," was to differentiate ordinary brewing from -- say -- brewing on the "surface of Jupiter;"
  2. The inherent lack of precision in food preparation is the reason I kept my numerical expressions to one (count it, "1") significant digit;  
  3. Coffee to water brew ratios aren't that sensitive.  Plus or minus 3% in either or both won't make a difference in the cup.  That is, a 15% brew ratio tastes a lot like a 17% ratio.  Depending on the brew method other factors like steep time, grind size, agitation and brew temperature are far more apparent on the palate;
  4. If you can't calculate water volume to water weight conversions within the limits of useful accuracy, either you're arithmetically challenged, or I'm a savant.*  That goes double, when working within the limited range of coffee brewing, and treble after you've had some practice with your brewing equipment;
  5. For Chemex + Kone, Espro and Siphon I eyeball the water into the 1L kettle -- 1L for Chemex, 1L for Chemex, 0.9L for Siphon.  I fill my six(!) non-Espro "eight cup" presses until the "bloom" is just short of the rim.  The Aeropress is also a known volume.  Of course there's some slop in the "measurement," but the coffee is very consistent; and finally
  6. Who here puts a measuring cup on a scale instead of just using the graduate marks?  If so, why?  What difference do you suppose it makes?  

Rich

*I'd be an idiot savant, but am not a savant.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Mar 3, 2014, 12:58pm

:)

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Mon Mar 3, 2014, 2:47pm

You're accusing us of nit-picking while taking the time to differentiate between the weight of water on Earth vs. Jupiter?

boar_d_laze Said:

The inherent lack of precision in food preparation is the reason I kept my numerical expressions to one (count it, "1") significant digit;

Posted March 3, 2014 link

Actually you used two. One significant digit might be sufficient for making fruit salad but not coffee.
showing page 1 of 7 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Coffee ratios  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.318806171417)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+