Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Yama Stovetop Vac Brewer Question
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Yama Stovetop...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Bman

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Quickmill Anita
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Vac Pot: Nope, Bodum Press
Drip: Not any more
Roaster: I-Roast, Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Feb 28, 2014, 5:02am
Subject: Yama Stovetop Vac Brewer Question

Hi All, I am considering getting a Yama Stovetop Vac Brewer.  I currently use a Bodum French Press, which works well over the past 10 or so years.  But I am now looking to explore new horizons.  What are some of the advantages of the Yama setup?  Disadvantages? I love many SO coffees with my favorites being Mexican Chiappas, Guatemalans, Ethiopians, SUmatrans,Brazilians, Costa Ricans, and a few others.  I have never seen the Yama in person, only on the net.  Any suggestions from those with more experience will be greatly appreciated.

Also, I am looking into getting a decent burr grinder from my cheap whirly one.  I was looking at the Capresso Infininty Burr, Baratza Encore Conical Burr, and for some reason the Mr. Coffee Burr ginder which sells for 35 at Amazon with surprising reviews.  Any suggestions?

Thanks much!
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Feb 28, 2014, 6:27am
Subject: Re: Yama Stovetop Vac Brewer Question

Vac brewers give a cleaner cup without the sludge that I find offensive in a French press. The coffee still retains the essencial oils like a FP as a paper filter is not used.

Vac brewers pretty much all work the same regardless of who made it. Some are larger than others. My vac pot is a Silex from the 1940s and it works just fine, producing a very nice cup and in a more household friendly size of 6 "cups".

You do need a better grinder. Amazon reviews are nearly always by people who have no idea what they are talking about and within hours of UPS dropping off the package, they are enthralled with their purchase.

Either of the other 2 grinders have good reps for other than espresso brewing, I would tend to avoid the Mr Coffee grinder.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Eastsideloco
Eastsideloco
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: '74 Cremina, '91 Livietta...
Grinder: Vario-W, mid-century...
Vac Pot: Cona C, Kono PR 3, Hellem...
Drip: Kalita Wave, V60, Chemex,...
Posted Fri Feb 28, 2014, 8:31am

The Yama stovetop vacpots are a great value. The glass isn't as thick on these units as on some of the more expensive siphon brewers, which sometimes feature hand-blown glass. In fact, I've read a couple forum posts where the glass on Yama stovetop brewers failed after a period of use, presumably due to imperfections inherent in the glass. But for the price they can't be beat.

One thing to be aware of is that vacuum coffee makers are more volume-dependent than other brewers. So decide what volume you will be brewing most often, then shop for gear accordingly. The setup that works best for me is to have one siphon pot (350 ml) that I use daily for personal consumption and other brewers to accommodate groups (650800 ml). If you like to brew a pot of coffee at a time, then stovetop models are ideal.

Mark Prince's guide to using a siphon is one of the better resources available:

http://coffeegeek.com/guides/siphoncoffee
Bman

Posted Fri Feb 28, 2014, 10:20am

These sound pretty cool then.  Is there another brand that I should be looking at as I would like to keep it under 100?  Does anyone have any experience with the Capresso or the Baratza grinders?
Eastsideloco
Eastsideloco
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: '74 Cremina, '91 Livietta...
Grinder: Vario-W, mid-century...
Vac Pot: Cona C, Kono PR 3, Hellem...
Drip: Kalita Wave, V60, Chemex,...
Posted Fri Feb 28, 2014, 1:47pm

Baratza makes excellent grinders for home use, but their best grinders don't fit your budget:

Click Here (www.baratza.com)

Otherwise, I'd recommend a Baratza Virtuoso w/ Preciso burrs. You might be able to pick up a refurbished version about the price of a new Encore. But you'd have to wait until they get some in inventory:

Click Here (www.baratza.com)
Bman

Posted Fri Mar 7, 2014, 5:51am

Yeah, those grinders look to be pretty good.  I think all I would need this for would be for Fp or vac coffee, my Mazzer is strictly for espresso and it works pretty well for me.  I also heard about those Aerobie's.  Have to look into that too.

Thanks
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Fri Mar 7, 2014, 6:34am

The Infinity and Encore are adequate for drip and vac, less good for French press.  Brew and vac grinding requires a mid-range in terms of grind particle size and is tolerant of more particle size variance than other grinds -- like French press, Turkish or espresso.  

Consequently you can get away with a lower priced grinder and still get adequate results for Vac and drip.  However, "adequate," isn't the same as "good."  Spend more, get more.  

Baratza Virtuosos come stock with "Preciso" burrs, and have for more than a year.  If you choose a Virtuoso (excellent choice, by the way), you don't have to look around for one with Preciso burrs -- it's just how they are now.

An Aeropress is a small, coffee brewing device; an Aerobie is a kind of Frisbie.

As I said, the Virtuoso is an excellent choice as a brew grinder, another in the "top two" for electric brew grinders is the Breville Smart.  Both are around $200, the Virtuoso a little over, the Smart a little under.  

We used a Smart for a few years until we had to replace it because our brew-grinding included so much "cupping," and the Smart was too inconvenient for the task.  We replaced it with a Bunnzilla, and as good as the Smart was (very good!) for drip and press, we were amazed at how much better Bunnzilla did with those simple tasks.  Spend more, get more.

A Bunnzilla or even a stock bulk grinder is undoubtedly too expensive and too large for your situation.  The next step up from the Smart/Virtuoso class of grinders is the Baratza Vario B (the "B" is for special, steel, Ditting "brew" burrs).  At close to $500, that's probably way too expensive as well.

While the Vario, and it's $800, much better built sibling, the Forte, are better in the cup than the Smart or Virtuoso -- they're maybe not enough better to invoke the spend more get more rule.  Worth it if you have the money?  Tough call.    

If you're willing to hand grind, the Hausgrind by Knock and Lido 2 by Orphan Espresso are getting great buzz.  Both around $200.  Note though that there's some lag time between order and delivery for the Hausgrind and that the Lido 2 is still in "beta" and won't be available for sale for -- probably -- another month.  

Rich
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Yama Stovetop...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.235362052917)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+