Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bunn ThermoFresh: Brews Too Fast; Weak Coffee
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
steelgtr

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Saeco
Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: TV Moccamaster/ glass
Roaster: WB Air Crazy/ Sifter
Posted Wed Feb 26, 2014, 3:09pm
Subject: Bunn ThermoFresh: Brews Too Fast; Weak Coffee

Thought I'd try the Bunn again. 10 grams drip grind coffee per 5 oz/ H20.

Even with the restricted spray nozzle, it brews too fast to get a strong extraction. Temp is 195 °'s on a calibrated Thermapen.

Tried 25 oz of water, (our morning batch) without filter or coffee. Took 2 minutes. Same test with our old Mr Coffee  5 minutes.

I love the proper temp from the Bunn but we can't get that deep robust flavor that we like. Any ideas?

thx

bob
 View Profile Link to this post
DigMe

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser,...
Grinder: Super Jolly, Mazzer Mini,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Capresso ST600, Presto...
Roaster: Behmor, SC/CO, Poppery I,...
Posted Thu Feb 27, 2014, 10:46am
Subject: Re: Bunn ThermoFresh: Brews Too Fast; Weak Coffee

Have you tried grinding finer?

Of course the water is going to flow faster than a Mr. Coffee - that's one thing Bunn is known for is a fast brew.  

brad

ch-ch-ch-ch-ch
sweaner
sweaner
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Sat Mar 1, 2014, 11:15am

I wonder what would happen if you double up the filter?

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
steelgtr

Posted Sat Mar 1, 2014, 6:25pm

sweaner Said:

I wonder what would happen if you double up the filter?

Posted March 1, 2014 link

I did try that and it helped some.  Might go x3 next time :) And I haven't tried  finer grind yet.

bob
steelgtr

Posted Mon Mar 3, 2014, 6:34pm

DigMe Said:

Have you tried grinding finer?

Of course the water is going to flow faster than a Mr. Coffee - that's one thing Bunn is known for is a fast brew.  

brad

Posted February 27, 2014 link

So,  Fast= Weak ??
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Mar 5, 2014, 6:43am

Well, no. Weak is weak.
Part of the problem may be the coffee you are using. If it is from a can, it is stale, stale ground beans result in a thinner, stale tasting brew. Properly roasted and ground beans, less than a month (two weeks for espresso) from THE DAY THEY WERE ROASTED and no more than 15 minutes from the time they were ground should make a big difference VS caned store bought coffee.

If you haven't yet, you may want to check out this thread.
"Coffee ratios"

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
steelgtr

Posted Wed Mar 5, 2014, 7:15am

calblacksmith Said:

Well, no. Weak is weak.
Part of the problem may be the coffee you are using. If it is from a can, it is stale, stale ground beans result in a thinner, stale tasting brew. Properly roasted and ground beans, less than a month (two weeks for espresso) from THE DAY THEY WERE ROASTED and no more than 15 minutes from the time they were ground should make a big difference VS caned store bought coffee.

If you haven't yet, you may want to check out this thread.
"Coffee ratios"

Posted March 5, 2014 link

We use pre-ground Starbucks HB or Verona.  10 grams/ 5 oz water. Same as always.  Makes strong coffee in the Braun or Mr. Coffee.

bob
DigMe

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser,...
Grinder: Super Jolly, Mazzer Mini,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Capresso ST600, Presto...
Roaster: Behmor, SC/CO, Poppery I,...
Posted Wed Mar 5, 2014, 7:46am

steelgtr Said:

We use pre-ground Starbucks HB or Verona.  10 grams/ 5 oz water. Same as always.  Makes strong coffee in the Braun or Mr. Coffee.

bob

Posted March 5, 2014 link

Mr. Coffee and Braun are similar to each other.  The Bunn works in a different way.  They both pour water over grounds but the Bunn is definitely a different animal.  Just like you wouldn't expect to throw the same grind coarseness in an espresso machine or french press and have it work equally well you must adjust grind for any given machine.  Yet another reason why it's worth spending $90 on a grinder such as the Capresso Infinity.  Instant adjustments and then set it and forget it.  My Infinity has lasted me over 10 years so far.  Great investment.  

brad

ch-ch-ch-ch-ch
MrBromeo

Posted Wed May 21, 2014, 10:21am

I, too, recently tried a BUNN again, mainly to evaluate as a larger/faster brewer for the office against my Technivorm. I roast my own beans, although in a pinch I'll buy reasonably fresh beans. In either case, I always grind at home just enough beans right before brewing.

10g/5oz works out to 68g/L. I usually do 60g/L in my Technivorm, ground a bit coarser than sugar. That brews a robust cup of joe, one that is "lip-smackingly good"... I will say the Tv will bring out the best and worst of the beans. It's like a really good stereo amplifier - I taste aspects in my coffees that I don't taste with other brewing methods. It can also be too intense if I want a third cup. I have to stop at two servings.

The same recipe in the BUNN (Velocity Brew NHB) gives a mellow cup. It's different than the Technivorm. It's like the same amplifier, but someone turned down the bass and treble. By the second serving, you could probably blindfold me and secretly switch out the BUNN coffee for a cup of hot water, and I might not notice. It's that mellow, and I can drink a third cup, even if it no longer really tastes like anything. However, later in the day, if I re-heat some of the BUNN coffee, it tastes like coffee again. Strange effect.

So, steelgtr, it's not just you.
MrBromeo

Posted Thu May 22, 2014, 11:55am

UPDATE: Maybe I spoke too soon. I gave the BUNN another chance this morning and the finished coffee came out "lip-smackingly good!" I'd say every bit as enjoyable as what my Technivorm produces.

Here's what I did differently:

- Preheated everything by "brewing" 500ml of water and waiting for the tank to re-heat
- Added 40g of fresh ground coffee to a BUNN filter
- Added 750 ml of fresh water
- Using carbon filtered water to remove residual chloramine
- Pausing the brew at the 20 second mark, stirring the slurry, waiting a minute, then resuming

Preheating the brewer is an extra step, but does help by topping up any water lost via evaporation. Hmm. One could even use it as an opportunity to rinse the paper filter.

Yesterday, I picked up a new pack of Britta water pitcher filters, and flushed the BUNN tank with filtered water. Our city water tests as good or better than any quality bottled water. Mountain sourced, it is naturally low in hardness, but does have 1 ppm chloramine for sanitization. I can smell the chloramine in the water. I believe the residual chloramine significantly affects the finished coffee by attacking the organic compounds (the very function of any sanitizer). the Britta filter removes the chloramine completely.

So this tells me filtering the chloramine out is a benefit, and extending the brew time/stirring helps when making a half batch, especially when using fresh roasted beans. I'd rather skip the stirring step - the "turbulent" spray head on the BUNN should make it unnecessary. Maybe I need to try the low-flow spray head.

Of course, a potential downside of the BUNN is the cost of keeping the water tank constantly heated. Over a period of a few years, the extra $30-80 in electricity will catch up to the price differential of the Technivorm. Putting the BUNN on a timer would certainly mitigate that. Seems strange that the tank isn't more insulated - there is a lot of heat unnecessarily radiating off the machine... 40W to be precise.

I'll keep playing with both, but ultimately I'd like to be able to have a good idea of the pros and cons of each machine, especially when it comes to recommending a coffee brewer to friends and family.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.374464035034)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+