Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Using a Bunn MCU with freshly roasted and ground beans
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Using a Bunn MCU...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
roach56

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Feb 1, 2014, 7:11am
Subject: Using a Bunn MCU with freshly roasted and ground beans

Well I ended up picking one up at a close out price for 83.00. Worked fine for several days but the last few days it has been acting different. It gets about half the water brewed normally then starts making a loud sound like the final flushing sound and just pushing foam. I've cleaned the shower head, even though it didn't need it. I'm using one scoop of grounds for a 6oz. cup.
 View Profile Link to this post
Harmygeddon

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Feb 3, 2014, 6:14am
Subject: Re: Using a Bunn MCU with freshly roasted and ground beans

I had the same problem.  My MCU would run through about 3 or 4 dry pulse cycles after it was done brewing.  Try cleaning the water probes - this fixed it for me.  Bunn posted this video on you tube:

Click Here (www.youtube.com)
roach56

Posted Mon Feb 3, 2014, 7:55am

Harmygeddon Said:

I had the same problem.  My MCU would run through about 3 or 4 dry pulse cycles after it was done brewing.  Try cleaning the water probes - this fixed it for me.  Bunn posted this video on you tube:

Click Here (www.youtube.com)

Posted February 3, 2014 link

Thanks, I did watch the video. Mine was only 5 days old and sometimes would dry pulse until I turned it off. I took it back to Lowes and exchanged it for a new one. This one has worked great for the first two days and this morning did 3-4 dry pulse cycles. Are you roasting/grinding your own beans? This roast is only 7 days from roast and saturday would have been day 5.
roach56

Posted Tue Feb 4, 2014, 6:27am

It is starting to do the same thing as the last unit. It will get about a half cup (half the water I put in) and then start getting loud and pushing foam. It did get all the water pushed through, but took some time . They work great for a few days. I,m calling bunn. To me it seems as though the pump is not powerful enough for fresh beans.
Sinkdrain
Sinkdrain

Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Drip: Melitta bcm-4, ccd, fp
Roaster: Torreo Roasters
Posted Thu Feb 13, 2014, 10:06am

Like you, I use my MCU with fresh beans every morning. It's working great but I did run into the same problem. It's because my valve got clogged  and there was a good youtuibe video demonstrating the cleaning process but I can't find it now.

It's simple. You unscrew the shower head...might as well rinse it off and clean that. After you remove it, when you look up at where it was you will see two white circular valves. One valve shoots out the water and the other shoots out the air. The video showed a guy straightening out a paperclip into a small hook and he gentley pulled out the white valve. It worked for me...I ran it under water and sure enough there was a single grind in it...once rinsed and put back together all was perfect...and remains that way today.

I can't remember which valve was the air and which was the water but you could just rinse both.
roach56

Posted Fri Feb 14, 2014, 7:36am

Sinkdrain Said:

Like you, I use my MCU with fresh beans every morning. It's working great but I did run into the same problem. It's because my valve got clogged  and there was a good youtuibe video demonstrating the cleaning process but I can't find it now.

It's simple. You unscrew the shower head...might as well rinse it off and clean that. After you remove it, when you look up at where it was you will see two white circular valves. One valve shoots out the water and the other shoots out the air. The video showed a guy straightening out a paperclip into a small hook and he gentley pulled out the white valve. It worked for me...I ran it under water and sure enough there was a single grind in it...once rinsed and put back together all was perfect...and remains that way today.

I can't remember which valve was the air and which was the water but you could just rinse both.

Posted February 13, 2014 link

Thanks for the info,I will clean those valves. I actually ran a vinegar cleaning through it, even though it was only a few days old. It took care of the problem for about 4 days and it started again. Cleaned it again and quit using my well water. I've been using bottled spring water now and so far it's working as it should.
roach56

Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014, 5:43am

Still having problems with the mcu. It started leaving 1-2 ounces in the filter cup and isn't doing the final air flush. Since this is my third unit, I may have to move on to another single cup. Both my daughters have Kurigs and aren't having any problems.
Sinkdrain
Sinkdrain

Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Drip: Melitta bcm-4, ccd, fp
Roaster: Torreo Roasters
Posted Sun Jul 13, 2014, 11:41am

If you are always using the grounds drawer, there is a common problem that would result in no final air flush and a short cup using the Bunn MCU. I really love this machine because it's easy to use, small, and makes a fabulous cup using the grounds drawer. Fortunately, the machine can be fixed and parts removed/repaired/replaced fairly easily.

1) The problem for me was a clogged filter screen in the grounds drawer. It seems to mess up the timing of the machine and flows water back into the filling chamber. I observed this by removing the top during a brew cycle. Don't be fooled...the clog can only be seen when you hold it up to the light. You will clearly see where light is not coming through and this will back up your machine if your using fresh grounds.

Two fixes: Buy a replacement grounds drawer ($26) or remove the clog (soap water and a brush will NOT work)

I soaked the little filter disk in vinegar, lemon juice...even CLR for hours and while it looked clean to my eyes, it was still clogged. If I held it up to the light you could see that almost 50% of the screen was clogged. It Looked fine when your not holding it up to the light. No amount of brushing or soaking can remove it.

I took a lighter and burned it out. about 2 seconds per "pie slice" section on the disk. I kept it away from the plastic parts. Then I would quickly run it under cold water. Held it up to the light and the filter was clear as new.

The machine worked as good as new immediately after I burned the residue out. Cup tastes better...the final air flush is strong, and no more short cups.

Now I know I will have to keep up with really cleaning that filter screen so I don't have to burn out another clog. I used to simply run it under water but I now soak it in vinegar occasionally to keep the oils out. Its been great so far.

I hope this helps.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Using a Bunn MCU...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.255460977554)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+