Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aerobie Aeropress
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 272 of 289 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Sun Feb 16, 2014, 6:24pm
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress

rasqual Said:

Drip-through doesn't matter in the least, provided you can get a proper extraction with whatever water the grind is in. If you have enough water, you'll be able to do that. Obviously, if you're using very little water, you won't. But why anyone would panic at the drip-through -- as if they couldn't just add more water -- I really don't understand.

Posted February 14, 2014 link

The guy who posted the question was in fact using a small amount of water.

With more typical Aeropress brew water amounts, I've wondered, but haven't actually investigated, whether or not it matters "in the least". I do notice that sometimes the bottom of the cup is initially filled with watery tea-like fluid. I would suspect that if an effect were detectable it would be in the form of slightly lower strength (necessitating a slightly higher dose to compensate).

From a practical viewpoint I recognize that any tiny loss in efficiency matters little, so I don't panic. I just think it's sloppy. I prefer to have a valve at the bottom of the Aeropress.
 View Profile Link to this post
paulbel
paulbel
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: aeropress
Grinder: conical burr (cuisinart)
Drip: sometimes
Posted Sun Feb 16, 2014, 6:40pm

I think it all comes down to whether you're getting drip through or drip around.  If the water's hit the grounds and now it's dripping through, even with a small amount of water, it shouldn't matter that much. If the grounds are on one side of the tube, or the filter is misplaced and you're getting water more or less untouched by coffee, then that matters, but it's easily dealt with with a little mindfulness.  Not that I'm against valves, mind you, but one of the things I like about the AP is its simplicity.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jpender
jpender

Posted Mon Feb 17, 2014, 11:05am

paulbel Said:

Not that I'm against valves, mind you, but one of the things I like about the AP is its simplicity.

Posted February 16, 2014 link

I agree 100%. Alan's prototype that had a bicycle pump wouldn't have worked for me for that reason. But the pressure sensitive valve I use is very simple. It's quite possible you have one at home.
rasqual
rasqual

Espresso: *$ Barista, non-pressurized
Grinder: SMP
Vac Pot: Yama, Aeropress
Drip: Porcelain Melitta 103, Hario
Roaster: "ring roaster", mod popper
Posted Mon Feb 17, 2014, 2:38pm

What are the advantages of using less, rather than more, water? If, that is, the objective is a cup of conventional strength brew?

Let us say that Bocephus uses 3 oz. of water in his Aeropress, adding hot water after the press to create a 1.3% concentrate cup. Let us say that he notes about an ounce of flow-through, and this concerns him.

Now our Bocephus chap believes that 3 ounces is perfect for extraction (a matter on which Bocephus and I would disagree), so he quite logically wishes to ensure that he will have pressed three ounces of water through his Aeropress under these circumstances. And so our Bocephus increases the amount of water to 4 ounces. Makes sense, since he had an ounce of flow-through. But he gets a bit more than an ounce of flow-through this time. So he bumps his water to 4.5 oz for fun, and lo -- his wash-through leaves him with 3 ounces remaining in the device to press. And when he's done, he still needs to add three or four ounces of hot water to make up his final cup.

So what problems for extraction did Bocephus encounter in the Aeropress by using more water? I can't see any.
AlanAdler
AlanAdler
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: AeroPress
Grinder: Baratza - Virtuoso
Roaster: Fresh Roast SR-500
Posted Mon Feb 17, 2014, 4:47pm

Hi All,

For the first six months that this brewer that we now call AeroPress was in development I mixed the slurry in a measuring cup, then poured it into the press.  But one day I decided to try mixing right in the press and it worked great.

As Rasqual wrote, drip through doesn't matter.  

Repeat, drip through doesn't matter.

Alan

Hi Rasqual!

PS  Drip through doesn't matter.
jpender
jpender

Posted Mon Feb 17, 2014, 4:57pm

Rasqual, you're completely right.

I'd somehow glossed over the part about him diluting the coffee after pressing. The only reason I know of to add water later is because the small Aeropress volume forces you to make a concentrate. But if all the brew water fits then what's the point of the higher brew ratio? It just wastes coffee. Does it taste better? I'd be surprised if this were so.
jpender
jpender

Posted Mon Feb 17, 2014, 5:52pm

AlanAdler Said:

Posted February 17, 2014 link

For the official Aeropress recipe of very fine grind and short steep time this isn't arguable. But let's suppose you decide that a coarse grind, a steep of 4-5 minutes and a metal filter is what makes a coffee taste its best to you. In that case would you still think drip through doesn't matter?
paulbel
paulbel

Espresso: aeropress
Grinder: conical burr (cuisinart)
Drip: sometimes
Posted Mon Feb 17, 2014, 9:39pm

jpender Said:

....let's suppose you decide that a coarse grind, a steep of 4-5 minutes and a metal filter is what makes a coffee taste its best to you. In that case would you still think drip through doesn't matter?

Then you'd use a French Press, wouldn't you?
MWJB

Grinder: Rocky, Lido, Porlex, Hario...
Drip: Not enough room to list...
Posted Tue Feb 18, 2014, 2:56am

paulbel Said:

Then you'd use a French Press, wouldn't you?

You get a slightly different result with French press, typically you pour water on the  grinds & when the brew is done, you pour the coffee back off the top. For FP & inverted Aeropress, I personally,  add the water first, but have little luck doing this with the non-inverted Aeropress ;-)

If you press the coffee through the bed you get different mouthfeel (for a corresponding technique) & the last part of the beverage that is trapped in the grinds would have been the first part that you poured off in the FP scenario.

I have also measured a higher level of extraction, compared to French press, when steeping inverted in the Aeropress, to hit my flavour preference.

Short, non inverted brews are a mix of percolation & infusion, so some drip through isn't necessarily a problem, in fact I have used the Aeropress pretty much as a straight pourover with good results. Longer steeps, I tend to aim more in the "infusion" territory & aim to keep as much water in contact with the grinds...which basically means inverted.

If brewing longer steeps, with <230g water, I'd still use the Aeropress over a French press, just for the quicker clean up.
jpender
jpender

Posted Tue Feb 18, 2014, 11:10am

I was expecting that response.

The reasons I use an Aeropress instead of a French press are that it's simpler, it's easier to clean, it's more versatile, it's far better for travel and it more efficiently produces the small 6 oz cup size that I prefer. And as MWJB points out it produces different coffee.

But this avoids my question and implies that the Aeropress isn't suitable for a coarser grind or a longer steep. A quick perusal of Aeropress competition recipes illustrates the variety of approaches possible including those that vary the grind, steep time, water temperature and also adding water to the Aeropress before the coffee. Inverted brewing is not uncommon and I'll bet many of these competitors would welcome a simple valve.

Here's a photo of the valve I kludged onto an Aeropress. This would ideally be part of the cap but before attempting to engineer that I wanted to see how long the valve would last. I've been using it almost daily for about 8 months, or 400-500 cups total. So far so good.

jpender: valve.jpg
(Click for larger image)
showing page 272 of 289 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.394729137421)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+