Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
I didn't know what static was until I got a Baratza Virtuoso
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > I didn't know...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
ayryq

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Drip: Bunn-O-Matic, Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jan 24, 2014, 6:42am
Subject: I didn't know what static was until I got a Baratza Virtuoso

Is this normal?

I "upgraded" from a $40 Cuisinart to a $230 Virtuoso this Christmas. I've been roasting and wanted to empty the grinder each time I used it. Also, the Cuisinart produced so much dust it clogged my Chemex. So now I've got nice consistent grinds with little dust, and I'm emptying the bean hopper every time I use it.

But the static! I thought this was a problem with the Cuisinart because I had trouble emptying the hopper after each grind. I thought upgrading to the Virtuoso would make this better. After all, they advertise several anti-static features.

Here's how it goes: I put the beans in and grind until empty. I pull out the hopper. Pulling out the hopper scrapes the grounds that are clinging to the end of the chute. These grounds jump to the edge at the top of the hopper, making a little furry beard all around. Most mornings I use an automatic drip machine (Bunn) so I pour the bin into the filter. The ground coffee mostly lands in the filter, but there's this cone of coffee attracted to the counter all around. I started doing this step in the sink because it's so messy. I rap the hopper a few times to get the clinging grounds to fall off. Most of them jump to my hand. The "beard" still hangs on, though. So now I start the Bunn and start cleanup. The bin is easy, I just rinse it off in the sink. Then I use wet paper towels to clean all the grounds clinging to the chute opening - because if I don't, a bunch more grounds fall into the bin when I put it back in. And next to the bin, and through the little hole under the bin, and all over. A couple more wet paper towels to clean up all the grounds around the counter, under the grinder, and on the adjacent teakettle and coffee machine, and I'm done.

With the Cuisinart, I didn't get all the grounds to slide out every day, but I didn't have a huge mess to clean up either.

Baratza owners, does this sound like your experience? Should I contact Baratza? I've had this grinder less than a month and it's driving me nuts.

Thanks for any advice.
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Jan 24, 2014, 7:05am
Subject: Re: I didn't know what static was until I got a Baratza Virtuoso

Yeh that's odd, could be the area your in due to weather has a ton of static, I know when I'm in MI at families during winter (Rochester)... so much static lol. But I would think the Baratza's antistatic coating would help though. I have a Preciso and noticed usually a lot of static "effect" on friends more expensive metal/commercial grinders depending on weather conditions, but mine really none even when the weather changes. I've never had the bin scrape and drop grinds or have the grinds spread due to static when pouring out the hopper whether into a portafilter or other means. I just made two drinks and the bin pulls out cleanly, weird.
ayryq

Posted Fri Jan 24, 2014, 7:19am

Just checked my thermostat, it reports 23% humidity in my house. And the weather here near Lake Michigan, which some might consider unpleasant, isn't really too far off normal. Snow every day, very dry. Colder than usual outside though.

Already made today's coffee but maybe tomorrow I can get a some pictures or a video.
Jerry43

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Carisma
Grinder: Virtuoso, HG-One
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Huky 500
Posted Fri Jan 24, 2014, 7:38am

I would definitely say it's the low humidity. I've noticed more clinging with my Virtuoso in the last week when I went from the 33% down to 26% humidity in the house with the current cold spell here in Va. I've been using a Giottos Rocket air blaster to blow out the burrs before I grind the next batch.  It always seem to leave some in the plastic bin after dumping. Been using the Virtuoso for years and the static comes and goes. Although I will agree yours sounds extreme.
Eastsideloco
Eastsideloco

Espresso: '74 Cremina, '91 Livietta...
Grinder: Vario-W, mid-century...
Vac Pot: Cona C, Kono PR 3, Hellem...
Drip: Kalita Wave, V60, Chemex,...
Posted Fri Jan 24, 2014, 9:29am

I've found that a dark roast profile exacerbates static problems. If you are using greasy beans, that may be the source of your frustration.

Some people on Home-Barista have good results reducing static using a droplet technique that probably enhances the humidity in the grinder, so to speak:

http://bit.ly/KUFJJ9

Also, you might want to pick up a general purpose espresso brush, which should make it easier to clean your machine. Something like this:

http://amzn.to/19ShSVy

The roaster in my neighborhood keeps these in stock. They are quite useful. I even keep one in my travel kit.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
redkiosk
redkiosk

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Fri Jan 24, 2014, 9:46am

Same problem with my Preciso when the humidity drops. I just keep a small handheld vacuum in a drawer near the grinder for when the chaff build-up pushes me over the line! Take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Jan 24, 2014, 10:14am

yeh low humidity will make it worse on all grinders whether plastic Baratzas or Commercial, especially up north. And dark beans that are oily will make it worse as said above.
uscfroadie
uscfroadie
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: GS/3 Strada MP, BDB; owned...
Grinder: Forte, Zass and PeDe hand...
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: Nope
Roaster: owned Behmor
Posted Fri Jan 24, 2014, 10:16am

That's very low humidity.  Since it sounds like you are single dosing, why not just employ the Ross Droplet Technique?  It works on all grinders - hand or electric.  The few drops work to enable the static to ground out, and they evaporate with the heat generated by the friction of the grinding.  Also, not to worry, the coffee oils on your burrs will prefect them from rusting.  After a year my HG One shows zero signs of the few drops of water doing any harm.
ayryq

Posted Fri Jan 24, 2014, 10:25am

I'll try that tomorrow and report back. Thanks!

That's a funny thread on the "RDT" - it started with someone flicking some water with his fingers, and by page eleven, people were using pipettes to precisely apply 0.15g of water and discussing the merits of modifying their grinders to accommodate a water application system.

I guess an "asset" of the cheapo grinder I was using was that the big clumps of coffee dust in the corners of the hopper tended to collect any static-charged coffee. The hopper also had a lid and was fed from the side - so a lot of coffee probably just stayed in the grinder.
uscfroadie
uscfroadie
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: GS/3 Strada MP, BDB; owned...
Grinder: Forte, Zass and PeDe hand...
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: Nope
Roaster: owned Behmor
Posted Fri Jan 24, 2014, 10:33am

ayryq Said:

I'll try that tomorrow and report back. Thanks!

That's a funny thread on the "RDT" - it started with someone flicking some water with his fingers, and by page eleven, people were using pipettes to precisely apply 0.15g of water and discussing the merits of modifying their grinders to accommodate a water application system.

I guess an "asset" of the cheapo grinder I was using was that the big clumps of coffee dust in the corners of the hopper tended to collect any static-charged coffee. The hopper also had a lid and was fed from the side - so a lot of coffee probably just stayed in the grinder.

Posted January 24, 2014 link

Yes, some people went WAY overboard.  A good rule of thumb is one - two drops per 10 grams of coffee.  Use way too much and you can get sludge.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > I didn't know...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.268383026123)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+