Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Pour-over for large batches
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Pour-over for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Scottes

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Vario, Baratza...
Drip: Chemex, Aeropress, Press...
Posted Wed Jan 15, 2014, 12:44pm
Subject: Pour-over for large batches

I've been using a 6-cup Chemex to make 2 mugs worth of coffee at a time, using 580 grams of water. Half the results go into a mug for immediate consumption, the rest goes into a Siig thermos and drunk about 12 minutes later.

I've been thinking about getting a pour-over but they all seem a bit small for a 580 gram batch. All the links I've found describe much smaller batches. Are any pour-over devices better for a larger amount? I really don't want to spend the time to make two batches every morning before work.
 View Profile Link to this post
johnnyb3

Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus refurb
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Chemex
Posted Wed Jan 15, 2014, 6:31pm
Subject: Re: Pour-over for large batches

Hario advertises an 800-ml capacity pot to pair with the V60-03, so I'd imagine that it could handle 580ml pretty easily.
infinus

Espresso: Cheap POS
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Broken by the cats!
Drip: Pour Over, Brazen,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Jan 16, 2014, 7:54am

I use a Clever Coffee Driper to make about 1L frequently. I pour in about 150 grams of water for the bloom with it sitting on my table top (stopper closed), then sit it on top of my coffee jug and slowly pour the rest of the 1L of water over the top. Makes some pretty good coffee honestly. Usually total contact time with water is around 3:30. When making smaller amounts of coffee I use the Clever more as it was designed..... pour in 80 grams of water to bloom the coffee, then pour in the rest over the top and let it steep until about 2:30, then set it on top of my mug to drain for about the same contact time of 3:30 or so.
Scottes

Grinder: Baratza Vario, Baratza...
Drip: Chemex, Aeropress, Press...
Posted Fri Jan 17, 2014, 8:39am

Thanks folks. I'm going to look at that Hario - it seems perfect for what I want.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Pour-over for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.202759981155)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+