Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Where to buy commercial Vietnemese Phin filter brewer?
"My First Crack"
"Ask Me About My First Crack."  Tee Shirts in Black, White, or Grey.
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Where to buy...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Cafe_Sua_Da

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Jan 15, 2014, 11:03am
Subject: Where to buy commercial Vietnemese Phin filter brewer?

I've always seen Vietnemese coffee makers scooping or pouring coffee out of pots, so I thought they boiled the grounds. It turns out they are using huge "Phin" filters and am not sure if they are home-made or what? I did a search for jumbo Phin filters but can't find anything, perhaps they fall under a different name? Anyone seen these for sale anywhere, and do you think asian markets might sell them in Little Saigon in Los Angeles?

Cafe_Sua_Da: Viet2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
Cafe_Sua_Da

Posted Wed Jan 15, 2014, 11:07am
Subject: Re: Where to buy commercial Vietnemese Phin filter brewer?

I'll post a couple more images. It appears that these function just like the single cup Phin filters, except of course a pot is used to collect the decoction rather than a coffee cup.

Cafe_Sua_Da: Viet1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Cafe_Sua_Da

Posted Wed Jan 15, 2014, 11:09am

And in this case jars collect the brew (the filter which are used on these are shown in the first image.)

Cafe_Sua_Da: Viet3.jpg
(Click for larger image)
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Jan 15, 2014, 11:10am

I'd start at Ranch 99, since there's probably one not too far from you, and they tend to have a relatively good stock of kitchen items. If you can't find them there, it would be rather shocking if you can't find them in Little Saigon. After all, that's like the US Vietnamese equivalent for Mecca.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Bob_E
Bob_E
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Excelsa moka pot
Grinder: Chinese hand crank conical...
Drip: Buckeye Aluminum Ware...
Posted Wed Jan 15, 2014, 12:23pm

If you can't find one of those, look for an old drip-o-lator. I believe they are pretty much the same thing.
Or you could probably rig one out of a double boiler kitchen pot...
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Jan 16, 2014, 12:56am

Bob_E Said:

If you can't find one of those, look for an old drip-o-lator. I believe they are pretty much the same thing.
Or you could probably rig one out of a double boiler kitchen pot...

Posted January 15, 2014 link

This is about as accurate as suggesting an egg beater for frothing milk lol...

Vietnamese coffee phin compacts the grinds coffee into a tight puck through which water drips.

The denser the puck the more concentrated the coffee and the slower the drip. It's customary for Vietnamese people to sit and have a relaxing chat or read the paper while their coffee drips--the longer drip the better the coffee.. Once completed the coffee has cooled while dripping over the ice and is stirred into the condense milk.  This is "cafe sua da" aka "Vietnamese coffee".  Yes you can drink it hot too but I've never seen any Vietnamese person drink it hot.. not in my 40+ years as a Vietnamese person.  Vietnam is very hot and humid so people prefer iced in their drinks, including beer.

OP-- you can pick up one from Amazon for $7.

Vietnamese Traditional Coffee Phin Filter - 6 Ounce, Gravity Insert by Tantiendat Click Here (www.amazon.com)

Btw the above item is a more modern version in favor of a less pressure on the grinds using a only friction of the top shower screen for faster brewing to accomodate todays busy clientele.  Old school phin brewers have a screw tightened shaft and are harder to find but will offer a tighter 'shot' (so to speak).  They aren't as reliable the new ones because the screws or threads Eventually get stripped with use.  They are all generally poorly made and like everything in Vietnam, very inexpensive.  In Vietnam they cost under $2usd (and that's the tourist price).
Bob_E
Bob_E
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Excelsa moka pot
Grinder: Chinese hand crank conical...
Drip: Buckeye Aluminum Ware...
Posted Thu Jan 16, 2014, 8:14am

Hmm, my drip-o-lator can do that...
It uses a friction fit between the top perforated plate and the bottom cup. I usually only compress it enough to even out the grounds and make sure there are no air pockets.

Bob_E: IMG_0651.JPG
(Click for larger image)
Cafe_Sua_Da

Posted Thu Jan 16, 2014, 4:57pm

Well I was in Cerritos today and found a Ranch 99 close bye. No luck on the jumbo Phin filter, they mostly sell pots and stuff for cooking rice. I did find two cans of Vietnemese coffee I've never seen before: Tay Nguyen (Aroma) coffee and "Cafe Ong Tho" dark french roast so thanks for the suggestion. Haven't tried them yet so not sure if they are any good.

Regarding the drip-o-later it looks like Lehmans sells them here...

https://www.lehmans.com/p-1735-non-electric-drip-coffee-maker.aspx

It does need something to tamp down the grounds and I can't tell by the picture if it has one. Also, South Indian coffee filters are similar to Vietnemese Phin's. The Doctor in charge of the coffee board of India states filters should have 80-120 perforations in them (I'd like to know how he derived at those numbers but I guess that's a subject for another day.) I think single cup Phin's have over 100 perforations but I haven't counted and am not sure how many these Drip-o-laters have? Here's an interesting article on how to make the Indian coffee - good stuff and very similiar to Viet coffee but they use some chicory and regular milk/sugar instead of sweetened condensed milk.

Click Here (www.indiacoffee.org)

Nutty, thanks I already have a Phin filter but am looking for a large commercial one to make large batches of decoction. Just an FYI, I just bought a Phin from an Australian ebay seller - he bought a bunch in Vietnam straight from the Trung Nguyen cafe - it's the new design and looks much better than the $2.00 cheapos. And yea I prefer the "gravity" type filter (the scew types are too finicky for me.)

Other than Trung Nguyen & Cafe DuMonde what beans you using these days for your coffee? I picked up some Gavina coffee at a Vietnemese supermarket awhile back and it's my favorite so far. Not sure but I think it's their "Double French Roast."

Cafe_Sua_Da: Trung New Filter.JPG
(Click for larger image)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Where to buy...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
SR500 Home Coffee Roaster
Ships with five pounds of beans you get to choose.
coffeeproject.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.291609048843)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+