Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Greetings! / Help in refining what i'm tasting.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Greetings! /...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
dazdilly

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014, 12:37pm
Subject: Greetings! / Help in refining what i'm tasting.

Hello everyone, new to Coffeegeek. Nice to find so many people with such a passion for coffee.  I apologize for what I expect to be a lengthy post, but bare with me, I'm hoping some of you will have valuable experience that you can share.  

First things, my experience and preferences.  

What I own.

Hario v60
Bunn Phase Brew Hg
Bodum French Press
Keurig Rivo ( from what i've read, not liked on these boards, but it really is just another machine that I own and exclusive to this post. Makes a consistant esspresso shot and i expect it to improve once lavazza improves its packaging.  Will it ever be great, probably not, but it is sufficient for when I want a quick shot )
Bialetti moka Pot
D'longhi ec155 espresso machine that i have never used.

So on to my dilema.  History on my drinking habits.  For as long as I remember, I stayed away from south american beans due to acidity/ bitterness.  Due to lack of knowledge that may have just been a product of bad preperation and service and not the actual beans.   I relegated myself to Peets major dickinson / Starbucks italian roast/ Keen Carls blend.   All darker roasts.   Recently I decided to venture out again and do some more reading. ( hence finding this forum)
I went out and bought some freshly roasted beans ( Verve / Konga/ethioia from "Single Origin") and tested it out on my varius coffee machines.  

What I found.

Hario v60 ( to shorten this post, process is abbreviated )
- medium to fine grind
- 208F water from a zjuiroshi
-30s bloom, about 3 min extraction time, pulse pour with a small ceramic tea pot

Bodum French Press
-medium/coarse grind
- 208F water
- 3 minute brew before press
- pour and dump extra

Bunn Phase Brew
- medium/fine grind
- 2Tbs per cup of H20

Results - no cream/sugar

The Hario produces a very sweet full cup.  My gripe is that i taste a lot of accidity and possible bitterness.  

The Bodum produces a very clean full cup, not quite as sweet, but a lot smoother without the accidity/bitterness.  

Bunn is somewhere inbetween, but just a ok cup,  

So now my question is.  Is my process for the Hario flawed?  Am I tasting bitterness that isn't really bitterness but just the flavor from the beans?  Is my coffee over extracted or is the french press under-extracted?  

Of the 3, the french press produced the best tasting, but it lacked the dynamic range ( lack of a better term) of flavors that the hario produced.  

thoughts and suggestions?  

thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
kinbote

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Vario
Drip: Technivorm, Kone
Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014, 2:38pm
Subject: Re: Greetings! / Help in refining what i'm tasting.

Welcome to CG!

Quick question, what grinder are you using?
dazdilly

Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014, 2:54pm

thanks! I have a cheap Krups grinder.  Forgot to add.  Its difficult to get an even grind, but its pretty consistent between brewing methods. My next purchase will most likely be a hand burr grinder.
TimEggers
TimEggers

Espresso: QM Anita, Cappuccino Amore
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Antique McKee, Santos
Drip: Pour Over, Bodum Presses
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014, 3:31pm

The best advice I can give you is to head to a local good coffee shop and ask them questions about their coffee as you sample them.  I'd sure they would love to discuss coffee with you.

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
http://twitter.com/Tim_Eggers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TimEggers
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
canuckcoffeeguy
canuckcoffeeguy

Espresso: Bezzera Magica, Mypressi...
Grinder: K10PB, Vario, Hario Slim
Vac Pot: I have a Dyson vacuum, but,...
Drip: Bialetti Brikka, Bodum...
Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014, 3:37pm

208F seems a bit on the high side of ideal brewing temperature. I was under the belief that 205F is as high as one should go to avoid scalding the coffee, perhaps even a bit lower for some beans. Could that be part of the problem? Although I'll defer to the more experienced users of this site to comment authoritatively on brewing temp.
CCG
dazdilly

Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014, 3:55pm

canuckcoffeeguy - i thought it might be the temperature, does this alter that flavor dramatically?  I use the same temperature water in the french press, with very different outcomes.  I'll try letting the water cool abit and see what happens.
canuckcoffeeguy
canuckcoffeeguy

Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014, 7:36pm

Maybe try keeping your brew temperature in the 195F to 205F range. Over 205F is not recommended. Check out this helpful guide from Sweet Marias:

http://www.sweetmarias.com/grind.brew.php
squaremile

Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014, 8:32pm

Good stuff! First off, many coffees are supposed to have a noticeable acidity. For many people that have used super dark beans and milk for awhile, the acidity becomes an acquired taste. Bitterness in the other hand is not desirable, and is a sign of over extraction. I'd suggest five things at the moment. 1. Lower the temp of the water to around 200. 2. Grind just a bit coarser. 3. Get a new grinder. 4. Keep brewing and see if you start to appreciate the acidity. 5. Try an Indonesian coffee and see if that's more your vibe.
dazdilly

Posted Tue Jan 7, 2014, 10:44am

Thanks for the suggestions, indonesian will be my next purchase if I can find fresh beans.

I visited a coffee joint last night and had a chat and observed their v60 brewing process.  A couple things that I noticed.  He pours out the drip after the initial bloom, and didn't let all the coffee drain from the brewer.  It produced a really nice cup.
canuckcoffeeguy
canuckcoffeeguy

Posted Thu Jan 16, 2014, 1:37pm

dazdilly  How did things work out? Did you figure out ways to improve your extractions?
CCG
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Greetings! /...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.293488025665)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+