Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Brewed coffee making for work
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Brewed coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
CoffeeCaine

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Jan 2, 2014, 11:57am
Subject: Brewed coffee making for work

I'm looking at a options for making coffee at work. I have a porlex grinder and currently use a French Press. I was thinking of moving over to either a Clever Dripper or an Aeropress.

Which ever option I go for it has to be minimum labour intensive. Any suggestions on which of these would be the best option or an alternative?
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeNark

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Jan 2, 2014, 1:41pm
Subject: Re: Brewed coffee making for work

What will you do for water?

I'm retired now but I had a small French press and the office before retirement.  I used the hot water from the office brewer but it sucked.
CoffeeCaine

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Jan 2, 2014, 3:58pm

CoffeeNark Said:

What will you do for water?

I'm retired now but I had a small French press and the office before retirement.  I used the hot water from the office brewer but it sucked.

Posted January 2, 2014 link

We've got a kettle on a small kitchen thankfully.
msboo

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Thu Jan 2, 2014, 4:10pm

AeroPress makes great coffee fast, easy & quick clean up! Much quicker than a FP. Hard to beat!
DCcoffeeman
DCcoffeeman

Espresso: Bialetti stovetop
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Zassenhaus
Vac Pot: French press
Drip: Clever Dripper, Melitta
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Thu Jan 2, 2014, 5:31pm

I'm a big fan of the Clever Dripper. (I got mine as a free gift when I recently bought a new electric kettle from Sweet Maria's.)  The Dripper is a combination of a French press and a manual drip.  It would seem great for work.  All you need is the Dripper, a #4 paper filter and hot water.  Cleanup for the Dripper is pretty easy since you just toss the filter and rinse out the Dripper. I've never used an AeroPress, which definitely has its fans.
wabbitt
wabbitt

Espresso: stovetop pots,aeropress
Grinder: skerton, SoloGrind
Drip: melitta cone, chemex
Posted Fri Jan 3, 2014, 7:25pm

I've tried French press at the office.  It's a fast trip to the kitchen.  Put in the coffee, put in the water and take it back to your desk to steep.  But it's hard to clean out.  Whether it's used for coffee grounds or loose tea leaves, a lot of that has to go down the drain and it takes a lot of water to release it.  That could be a problem in some office kitchens which are prone to plumbing problems.  Secondly, it's fragile.  After mine broke, I never brought its replacement back to the office.

I've tried Aeropress at the office.  It's a little more time in the kitchen.  For me, I count three items to wash after you've made your coffee.  I can't just leave it with a wipe until the next day.  Then you only get one mug for your effort, even if you dilute to Americano.

For those desperate afternoons, I bought a cheap K-cup brewer (not Keurig) for my desk and a refillable k-cup.  I went with the one that uses a filter because I can just pull it out and toss it, then just rinse the holder.  Otherwise, I'd have the same problem as cleaning out a French press.  Despite packing in the coffee, I still find the coffee weak and it doesn't fill my 8 oz mug.  Because I can't pre-warm my mug, the coffee gets cold really fast.  If I used it once or twice daily, you're supposed to decalcify it.  I use it maybe once a month just to make sure it still works.

I had to go through all this to come back full circle to where I started--plastic (Melitta) cone with a #2 filter.  It takes a little longer in the kitchen, but that time is used making coffee for a 16 oz tumbler, not cleaning.  I'd love a Clever dripper to hold the steep a little longer, but I can control my grind size to compensate, plus my cone was only $2 years & years ago so I don't worry about breaking it or losing it.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MWJB

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Rocky, Lido, Porlex, Hario...
Drip: Not enough room to list...
Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 3:58am

I use a Sowden Oscar Softbrew at work (having tried most manual methods, individually & in combination), quicker clean up than French press (which still gets the odd use) and not fussy about timings to the minute, which is handy if you get caught on the phone or called into a meeting. I doubt you'd get good results with a Porlex though (I haven't), a Lido 2 or Made by Knock grinder would be better (& faster).

Bearing the Porlex in mind, I prefer the Bonavita immersion cone over the newer CCD, it needs a preheat, but again timings to the minute need not be crucial.
CoffeeNark

Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 8:31am

I always used a tea strainer to help clean a French press.  Wipe out 90% of the grounds with a spoon/fork/paper tower into the trash, and rinse the rest out pouring it through a tea strainer.  Never took me more than a couple of minutes to clean with most of the time spent disassembling the strainer to get a few grinds out of it.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Brewed coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Machines
Free extended warranty & shipping. Enter email for best price / match
espressooutlet.net
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.278030157089)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+