Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
New to pour over
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > New to pour over  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
trilea

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Dec 11, 2013, 4:51pm
Subject: New to pour over

Hello,

I have recently settled on using pourover as a flexible method to explore the world of coffee. In terms of gear I am using an inherited plastic Melitta dripper with bamboo filters, a hario mini mill, and a gooseneck kettle (trials with a regular kettle led to a too large a mess). Over the 6 weeks or so I have been trying different coffees from a variety of roasters.  Recently, I have become more frustrated as the cups of coffee that I am now making seem more bitter (need more sugar to drink than before). I have been using approx. the same pour technique between cups of coffee and the same grind setting (6 clicks from closed) I was wondering if anyone had an explanation as to why my coffee seems to becoming more bitter. The beans that I have tried so far are as follows:

Cherry Hill Coffee - Lush
Social Coffee - French Roast
Whole Food - Guatemala
Local roaster - their drip blend

With all cups the water is 250g @ 200F, with a 15g dose, ground at 6 clicks from 0.

Thus far I have found that the french roast from social has been the least bitter but for some odd reason even they are getting more bitter it seems week to week.

P.S. I have been buying as fresh as possible and trying my best to drink all the coffee before they reach 10 days post roast (its hard since i drink 2 cups a day)

Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
squaremile

Posted Wed Dec 11, 2013, 10:26pm
Subject: Re: New to pour over

Each of those coffees would have it's own grind setting that would produce the best cup with your method.  You can't just use one grind setting for every coffee, so if it's too bitter, grind a notch or two coarser. Based on your formula you are shooting for a 1.30 TDS and about 19.45 Ext which is right on, so dial the grind in and you are good to go. Also stop using sugar :)
tglodjo
tglodjo
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Wave, V60, Chemex, Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Dec 12, 2013, 6:05am

You mentioned pretty much everything but the total  brew time. A 15g dose for 250g brew should probably be between 2:30-2:00. Of course, it's all subjective based on taste. I've had great 2:00 brews and 5:00 brews, but definitely a component to track and adjust grind size based on time.

squaremile Said:

Each of those coffees would have it's own grind setting that would produce the best cup with your method.  You can't just use one grind setting for every coffee, so if it's too bitter, grind a notch or two coarser.

Posted December 11, 2013 link

+1
MWJB

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Rocky, Lido, Porlex, Hario...
Drip: Not enough room to list...
Posted Thu Dec 12, 2013, 6:38am

trilea Said:

Hello,

I have recently settled on using pourover as a flexible method to explore the world of coffee. In terms of gear I am using an inherited plastic Melitta dripper with bamboo filters, a hario mini mill, and a gooseneck kettle (trials with a regular kettle led to a too large a mess). Over the 6 weeks or so I have been trying different coffees from a variety of roasters.  Recently, I have become more frustrated as the cups of coffee that I am now making seem more bitter (need more sugar to drink than before). I have been using approx. the same pour technique between cups of coffee and the same grind setting (6 clicks from closed) I was wondering if anyone had an explanation as to why my coffee seems to becoming more bitter.

Thanks

Posted December 11, 2013 link

Hi Trilea,

Can you describe your method, how you are pouring (filling in one go, or pouring in stages)?

Have you tried bleached white filter papers? (Just to eliminate the bamboo ones from enquiries).

If you are switching from coffee to coffee, as the others have said, your grind might need adjusting to suit. An alternative is to keep the grind the same and play with pour style, or weight of brew water used...e.g. start by pouring 210g, when drained give the cup a really good stir & taste...then pulse another 20g through the cone, taste again...then another 20g...see where  you think that coffee tastes best. Record & note for next time. It's easier to do this if brewing on a stand & into a carafe so the coffee can be well stirred & swirled between tastings (it can sit in layers otherwise, first sips can often be a little bitter & oily, even on a good cup).
trilea

Posted Thu Dec 12, 2013, 9:18am

I have been pouring in pulses trying to keep the water in the dripper no higher than 8-10mm above the top of the coffee grounds. Usually I bloom with 25-45g of water until it stops expanding and bubbling (~15-40s) then in pulses to try and maintain the water level as previously mentioned. Pouring in spirals going out then back in unless i need to stop to prevent it going over. Thanks for the pointers though. I thought that grind between beans only needed to be adjusted for espresso and that there was only 1 drip grind. I will try adjusting the grind size as this seems to be the easiest change to make. Later I will try changes to the pour technique.

Ill post after with the results.

Edit: Initially I was using a pack of second cup melitta #2 brown filters, Now I'm using the Melitta brand Bamboo filters
MWJB

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Rocky, Lido, Porlex, Hario...
Drip: Not enough room to list...
Posted Thu Dec 12, 2013, 9:31am

6 clicks out on the Hario Slim seems a fine grind with which to pulse pour, you'll probably need to go coarser with that technique, but as you do, your grind will become less consistent.

Let us know how you get on.
Buckley

Posted Fri Dec 13, 2013, 11:36am

Try a slower, continuous, moving pour with a coarser grind so the brew water does not back up.  I have one of these in my mug right now as I am typing.  Delicious.  Are you using a Melitta plastic or ceramic cone?  If plastic, I would ream out the bottom opening to prevent brew backup.  Otherwise, you might consider splurging for a Hario v60 cone since the bottom has a dime-size opening.

B
trilea

Posted Fri Dec 13, 2013, 7:56pm

Ok time for some follow up, I've tried a coarser grind (10,11,12 clicks) and it does help with the bitterness, however it doesn't seem to have eliminated the bitterness. In addition thought with a coarser grind the coffee doesn't taste as strong as it did with a finer grind. I am finding that it tastes watered down im comparison to the previous grind setting (6-7 clicks). One question I have is given that the Melitta dripper has one small hole vs a larger hole with the v60 would that allow me to use a finer grind and extract more coffee flavor without over extracting? In addition I am washing the coffee grounds off the side of the melitta dripper. After reading some material about why that is bad for a v60 I also wonder if this is transferable to the melitta given that with the melitta the ridges are much less pronounced and do not go all the way up?

I will try altering the pour tomorrow and will provide additional follow up.
Buckley

Posted Sat Dec 14, 2013, 4:58am

Dear trilea,
We have all had the experience that you are having 'dialing-in' a grind, regardless of infusion method.
Sounds like you should go back to a slightly finer grind for the sake of flavor, and, yes, the Hario or a reamed-out Melitta will allow the brew to transit faster (still depending upon the grind size) resulting in a less bitter taste.
My suggestion is to pour slower in conjunction with a finer grind so that you do not back-up and puddle.
Finally the last variable that you can control is the temperature of the water but don't make large changes.  I use the stream from a goose neck kettle right off of the boil, but when I want to use a cooler infusion for less bitterness, I just raise the kettle up slightly so that the water stream is twice as long as usual and this will make a noticeable difference.  Naturally, this will make no difference if the infusion is backing up and puddling.  That is why the Hario is so well designed - it does not get in the way of operator 'tweaking' like this.  I splurged for the cloth filter for the Hario cone which I much prefer over the paper filters.

Buckley
trilea

Posted Sun Dec 15, 2013, 2:28pm

Hey for some additional follow up I think I have gotten to a point where I am happy with the cup. I have altered my pour so its not as pulsed and now sits higher in the dripper but is more constant. i also tried just pouring in all the water after the bloom and learned not to do that. In the melita anyway you end up with all the grounds stuck to the side at the top where there are no ribs and no coffee at the bottom. It seems to make the coffee taste watery and weak. This seems to make sense since its only extracting from them for a very small amount of time. I havn't gone out to get a v60/chemex yet but thats the next dripper on the list to try. Thanks to everyone who  gave me pointers as they have been extremely helpful. Ill try my best to pay it forward. Following this I will look into altering the temperature to see how it affects taste.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > New to pour over  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.27373790741)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+