Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bunn Trifecta MB Owners' Thread
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Trifecta MB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 35 of 47 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
barkingburro
barkingburro
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Trifecta MB, CafeSolo,...
Posted Tue Dec 10, 2013, 12:30am
Subject: Re: Bunn Trifecta MB Owners' Thread

mwright,

I cannot see how changing the brew chamber would impact the amount of water emitted from the shower head.  Try your experiment again without changing the brew chamber and see if the water level varies regardless.

- Michael
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
redkiosk
redkiosk

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Tue Dec 10, 2013, 7:13am

mwright Said:

I was having a problem with water backing up into the water reservoir.  I did a deep clean and cleaned the check valves in the shower head.  That seems to have worked.  I also got a new brew chamber and I am noticing something strange.  The turbulence is different on the two brew chambers (new vs old). I am not sure how to explain it but the way the bubbles are and the force of the first turbulence cycle are different.  The other thing I noticed is I filled the water reservoir with the same amount of water both times and the amount of water that pumped into the brew chamber was more in the old brew chamber than the new one.  This was also verified by how full my cup was after push out.  These were water only cycles.  Any ideas?  Also for people that have removed the shower head to clean the check valves when it says the one with the red/orange o-ring goes on the left I am assuming this means while looking at the machine correct?

Thanks

Posted December 9, 2013 link

I too have a slight turbulence variation with my three brew chambers (purchased an extra specifically for tea). Nothing that shows up in the taste of the brew though. The least-used brew chamber (tea) seems to be have the strongest turbulence. I'm thinking that it may be to slight wearing of the inside surface of the air inlet port on the brew chamber from repeated pushing it onto the rubber o-ring on the air outlet nipple. I also occasionally have slight final coffee volume differences when making two cups in a row. I chalk it up to my pouring technique when filling the water reservoir with the beaker or the density of the coffee and how much water the grounds have absorbed during press out. Not a big deal, I just give my wife the lesser amount (ha ha ha). Yes, red/orange valve goes on the left when viewing the Trifecta from the front. Hope this helps and take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
 View Profile Link to this post
mwright

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Dec 10, 2013, 7:19am

Thanks for the help both of you.  I couldn't see how the two reservoirs would make any difference either.  Thanks again.
DanH

Espresso: GS/3
Grinder: K10 Fresh
Drip: Trifecta MB
Roaster: Quest M3
Posted Tue Dec 10, 2013, 7:35am

mwright Said:

I couldn't see how the two reservoirs would make any difference either.

Posted December 10, 2013 link

Go figure with those reservoirs.  I had a problem where 100% of the water wouldn't drain from the reservoir during the brew cycle.  Pretty regularly about a quarter of the water would be left behind.  The solution?  A new reservoir and filter wand from Amanda.  And I'd scrubbed and cleaned and replaced check valves and everything.  It must be magic.
barkingburro
barkingburro

Posted Tue Dec 10, 2013, 6:08pm

I think we're seeing a lot of maintenance-related issues concerning the filters and O-rings that affect the air pressure, which in turn will affect the amount of liquid left inside the brew chamber after the press-out.  I want to reiterate my experience some time ago, in which cleaning the filters in the shower head only went part way to fixing the problem, but applying to the O-rings a very small amount of food grade silicon lubricant meant specifically for use on rubber seals made a huge difference in useability and consistent performance.  My brew chambers slide into place more easily than when they were new!

The first indication you might need to apply lubricant is when the brew chamber starts getting difficult to push onto the air nozzle.  Another indication is insufficient turbulence.  But if all you're observing is insufficient press-out of liquid, then the most likely causes (in order) are 1) showerhead filter needs cleaning, and 2) top seal of brew chamber is misaligned after clamping down.  If neither of those seems to be the case, then applying lubricant to make a better air seal at both the shower head air inlet and at the rear of the brew chamber may be required.

Lastly, if the reservoir filter wand is clogged, you will see the water level move too slowly or will see too much water left in the reservoir.  But be aware that these symptoms are more likely the result of a clogged showerhead filter. I tend to not have any reservoir filter issues because I use close to pure water.  But a soak in vinegar should renew your filter wand to good condition.

Note that I have been rinsing my brew chambers inside and out with hot water (no soap) after each brew, always directing a strong spray of water at the inside and underside filters.  I always run a water-only cycle before each brew as well.  I use a paper towel to dry the brew chamber and have never detected a buildup of oil or a residual odor.  I tend to brew a full 12 oz. with 25 grams of coffee, ground to slightly coarser than drip, not quite French Press--midway on my Preciso grinder.  I used to brew using 30 grams coffee, but have since found 25 grams to yield a better flavor profile with less bitterness.

With all of the above, my maintenance issues and need to periodically clean the showerhead filter have been few and far between.

Apologies to those who started reading this post before I edited it a dozen times.

- Michael
barkingburro
barkingburro

Posted Tue Dec 10, 2013, 6:46pm

By the way, my previous post reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask the experts on this site.  In general, I have not been able to detect any difference between my close-to-pure water (maybe 20-30 ppm and neutral alkalinity, not acidic) and high mineral content water, like Fiji water (over 100 ppm and fairly alkaline).

I recall several sources that stated you don't need those minerals for brewing espresso, only for brewing coffee.  Was this because of the pressure?  If so, is it possible the trifecta has an advantage here, even though it uses lower pressure than an espresso machine?

I also recall many contributors who asserted if your sample of water tastes good, and a more mineralized sample of water tastes bad, odds are you won't like the mineralized water brew better.  My filtered water tastes amazing--much better than Fiji water, and I tend to think that has something to do with why I like it as much as when I use Fiji water.

Finally, I add dairy and sugar to my coffee.  I have read somewhere that flavor extraction keeps on happening after the brew cycle is completed.  Obviously, minerals from dairy and sugar will tend to offset the negative effect (if any) of using too pure water.  If we look at the timing of adding these minerals, we're talking about the roasty flavors being helped a bit in the cup, whereas the bright acidity has already gotten its boost from the trifecta's unique brew cycle....

....or, to bring this argument full circle, maybe the trifecta is much more forgiving and less impacted by pure vs. mineralized water.

Thoughts, anyone?

- Michael
redkiosk
redkiosk

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Wed Dec 11, 2013, 6:06am

Ever since I started performing a monthly maintenance routine, which in addition to a vinegar deep cleaning, includes cleaning ALL the check valves, shower head seal, groove it sits in and it's filter screen, brew chamber filter screens and soaking the reservoir filter wand in vinegar for at least fine minutes, I have experienced absolutely no problems at all. A sure sign that a reservoir filter wand is getting clogged is a higher pitched "whine" when the water is drawn through it as it moves into the tank.

I have used a Franke faucet with an integrated below cabinet mounted water filter since day one. Taste is great and with the above mentioned maintenance, have been trouble-fee. Hope this helps someone and take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
sweaner
sweaner
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Wed Dec 11, 2013, 6:06pm

I too have found the use of a good lubricant helpful. I use Dow 111. Amazingly, it lasts a long time, and the tube I have will probably be around after I am gone.

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
mwright

Posted Fri Dec 13, 2013, 5:02pm

Are you guys using the lubricant on the large seal on the showerhead as well or just the small o-rings.
barkingburro
barkingburro

Posted Sat Dec 14, 2013, 12:22am

mwright Said:

Are you guys using the lubricant on the large seal on the showerhead as well or just the small o-rings.

Posted December 13, 2013 link

Just the small O-rings.

- Michael
showing page 35 of 47 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Trifecta MB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.311640024185)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+