Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
letting espresso brew until coffee cup is full. Is this OK for americano style?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > letting espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Dec 13, 2013, 12:11pm
Subject: letting espresso brew until coffee cup is full. Is this OK for americano style?

You have a Preciso which is capable of espresso grinding, you should mod the PF of that machine though as otherwise your not pulling espresso, more like a shot of drip coffee with fake crema (had a Bar32 which was same class as yours). Make the PF depressurized and adjust grind with Preciso and you'll see much better coffee then your making now.

Don't grind the night before, the grinds will be completely stale by the morning. Grind right before use.
 View Profile Link to this post
Aristoc

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Dec 13, 2013, 12:30pm
Subject: R: letting espresso brew until coffee cup is full.

I've definitely seen all the videos on depressurizing and I am thinking about it.

I put my ground coffee into a glass jar and lid. Hopefully this helps. Would love to grind just before, but I am not at home doing this. Im at work.
Buckley

Posted Fri Dec 13, 2013, 12:47pm
Subject: Re: R: letting espresso brew until coffee cup is full.

Dear Aristoc,

As you can see, this site is not called 'coffeegeek' for nothing.  Kudos to you for taking all of our (righteous and correct) opinons in stride.

Several geeks, myself included, have found that the perfect combination of deliciouslness and locked-drawer security at work can be obtained by using a Mypressi with a Hario slim grinder, if you are only making 1 or 2 shots at a time.  We boil our water in a pyrex measuring cup in the mwave.  Grinding within 5 minutes of infusing will make you glad for the slight extra trouble.

Happy coffee,

Buckley
CMIN

Posted Fri Dec 13, 2013, 1:33pm

Aristoc Said:

I've definitely seen all the videos on depressurizing and I am thinking about it.

I put my ground coffee into a glass jar and lid. Hopefully this helps. Would love to grind just before, but I am not at home doing this. Im at work.

Posted December 13, 2013 link

Might want to pick up a cheap hand grinder than too, jars won't help. Think of it like this, cut an apple in half and it'll be awhile before it starts staleing/turning brown, slice it into multiple pieces and you'll see it start turning brown waaaay quicker. Same with grinds, their so small that when exposed to any air sealed or not they'll be stale in about 15-20 min.

Getting a cheap hand grinder like the hario slim or skerton and doing the stepless mod with a locknut, will keep your coffee fresh for when your not around your Preciso.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Dec 13, 2013, 2:00pm

Buckley Said:

Dear Aristoc,

As you can see, this site is not called 'coffeegeek' for nothing.  Kudos to you for taking all of our (righteous and correct) opinons in stride.

Several geeks, myself included, have found that the perfect combination of deliciouslness and locked-drawer security at work can be obtained by using a Mypressi with a Hario slim grinder, if you are only making 1 or 2 shots at a time.  We boil our water in a pyrex measuring cup in the mwave.  Grinding within 5 minutes of infusing will make you glad for the slight extra trouble.

Happy coffee,

Buckley

Well said Buckley...and +1 on the kudos to you for your patience with our comments "Aristoc"  I'd like to 2nd the recommendation for a portable manual grinder, such as the Hario Slim but, alas, I have to 3rd it since Chris beat me to it :)

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Aristoc

Posted Wed Dec 18, 2013, 8:02am
Subject: Re: letting espresso brew until coffee cup is full.

CMIN Said:

You have a Preciso which is capable of espresso grinding, you should mod the PF of that machine though as otherwise your not pulling espresso, more like a shot of drip coffee with fake crema (had a Bar32 which was same class as yours). Make the PF depressurized and adjust grind with Preciso and you'll see much better coffee then your making now.

Don't grind the night before, the grinds will be completely stale by the morning. Grind right before use.

Well I gave the depressurizatino a try because i was very curious.

I have the Baratza Maestro Plus grinder. I set it to about 8.

I depressurized the portafilter on my Saeco Poemia. I filled the portafilter with coffee and tamped down.

I ran the brew and no crema at all. I was getting crema with the pressurized portafilter.

What went wrong?

Thanks
CMIN

Posted Wed Dec 18, 2013, 8:24am

Aristoc Said:

Well I gave the depressurizatino a try because i was very curious.

I have the Baratza Maestro Plus grinder. I set it to about 8.

I depressurized the portafilter on my Saeco Poemia. I filled the portafilter with coffee and tamped down.

I ran the brew and no crema at all. I was getting crema with the pressurized portafilter.

What went wrong?

Thanks

Posted December 18, 2013 link

B/c the Mastro is a poor grinder for espresso, it's only made for coarse use (drip, press etc). Real espresso requires a real espresso grinder (in the Baratza line that means the Preciso or Vario) and a normal (or in your case depressurized) basket. You could try grinding finer but just b/c a grinder can grind "fine" doesn't mean it's made for espresso, espresso grinders have the correct grind quality required. With the right grind quality even your machine will make espresso and real crema when depressurized.

Your not getting crema with the pressurized basket either, it's forcing coffee/water through a tiny hole causing spray that looks similar to crema but dissipates fast and has no mouthfeel or taste to it. Think of it like a water hose flowing and then sticking your fingers over the end of the hose causing it to spray, that's what the pressure clip does.

Why are you using a Maestro for espresso when you have an Preciso? Confused, you said you have a Baratza Preciso earlier, but now you say you have a Masetro? Maestro is an old coarse only grinder, completely different.
Aristoc

Posted Wed Dec 18, 2013, 8:46am

CMIN Said:

B/c the Mastro is a poor grinder for espresso, it's only made for coarse use (drip, press etc). Real espresso requires a real espresso grinder (in the Baratza line that means the Preciso or Vario) and a normal (or in your case depressurized) basket. You could try grinding finer but just b/c a grinder can grind "fine" doesn't mean it's made for espresso, espresso grinders have the correct grind quality required. With the right grind quality even your machine will make espresso and real crema when depressurized.

Your not getting crema with the pressurized basket either, it's forcing coffee/water through a tiny hole causing spray that looks similar to crema but dissipates fast and has no mouthfeel or taste to it. Think of it like a water hose flowing and then sticking your fingers over the end of the hose causing it to spray, that's what the pressure clip does.

Why are you using a Maestro for espresso when you have an Preciso? Confused, you said you have a Baratza Preciso earlier, but now you say you have a Masetro? Maestro is an old coarse only grinder, completely different.

You're right I said precisio however I made a mistake from memory. We actually have the maestro. At the time we were only brewing french press and we gournd our beans for using in our steam espresso machine at work.  we looked at the preciso but opted for the maestro at the time for those two reasons.

with the aging of our steam machine we got this espresso machine. seemed a good starting choice for the workplace. we may end up just living with the compromise for now.
CMIN

Posted Wed Dec 18, 2013, 9:14am

Aristoc Said:

You're right I said precisio however I made a mistake from memory. We actually have the maestro. At the time we were only brewing french press and we gournd our beans for using in our steam espresso machine at work.  we looked at the preciso but opted for the maestro at the time for those two reasons.

with the aging of our steam machine we got this espresso machine. seemed a good starting choice for the workplace. we may end up just living with the compromise for now.

W/o an espresso grinder your better off using the machine pressurized. You could get a small cheap hand grinder like the Hario Slim or Skerton and do the locknut mod to make it stepless and use to play with the machine depressurized. Maestro was replaced by the Encore, which is the best coarse grinder around for the money, or at least way better then others in it's class like the Infinity and Bistro etc

But since you like a regular cup of coffee like you said (8oz), you should just keep this machine to play with. And grab an Aeropress, cheap and easy to use, and makes excellent coffee and you'll get a cup from it and your Maestro will work with it. Otherwise your stuck doing an Americano (your shot and adding hot water)with your current machine which doesn't sound like your interested in, and wouldn't taste well either as it's not a real shot of espresso.

I'd look into an Aeropress, you literally place it over your cup and use lol.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Dec 18, 2013, 11:11am

So, my first grinder I ever had for espresso was a Maestro. I bought it when I bought my first Silvia about 10 years ago. I was doing ok, but wasn't really producing what I would call good espresso...yeah, it was mediocre. Then, before really learning anything much at all...I bought a Rocky.  My espresso got good, in fact, I'd have said it was really good. As I read more on CG, I decided to get a Macap M4.  My espresso jumped waaaaay up in quality after that.  Eventually, I took a one day Barista training class...and then finally (last step so far), upgraded my machine.  My next step is to get a dream grinder, I'm looking at the Compak k10 fresh, the Mahlkoenig K30 Vario, and even the Mazzer Robur (yeah, still undecided on flat v conical).  I've pretty much decided against the HG one because of my experience grinding with a Lido (which I still love for press - and will probably never replace, except maybe with a new version Lido).

All to say, it's a long road for some, and there's always room for improvement.  I think you can make mediocre espresso with the Maestro and an unpressurized pf, and you should be able to get crema using that setup and fresh beans, but it's going to take a lot of work on your part.  Go read Easy Guide to Better Espresso at Home, article 12 under "how to" on www.espressomyespresso.com

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > letting espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.364928007126)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+