Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Could I Tell Noticeable Difference with better grinder?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Could I Tell...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
JavaGator

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Nov 25, 2013, 5:01pm
Subject: Could I Tell Noticeable Difference with better grinder?

I love my coffee.  I would say I am an advanced novice.  I use the Brazen, and grind beans about 75% of the time.  As for coffee, I use whole bean Dunkin, Horton fairly often.  I'll mix in some Starbucks, and the like.  I also joined the Mistobox sample coffee club, where I get around 50g of 4 different micro roasters each month. To the point of my post, I currently have a Mr. Coffee burr grinder.  It is adjustable, and I keep it in the middle range for the Brazen.  Having read numerous posts and searched on line, I see there is a wide range of burr grinders.  The Mr Coffee I have cost around $40.  So my ultimate questions are; 1.  Is my grinder adequate based on my coffee palate?, 2.  Would a novice like me really taste a substantial difference in the cup with a better grinder?, 3.  If you think so, what would be the next step up that won't break the bank? Thanks for your input.
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Nov 25, 2013, 5:23pm
Subject: Re: Could I Tell Noticeable Difference with better grinder?

First, yes you'll see a big difference, Mr Coffee grinders are more like bean mashers/gnawers (don't have good burr sets). Something like the Baratza Encore is cheap (about $130) and will far excel the Mr Coffee grinder. Second, throw out the Charbucks, DD, and Horton beans :) ... their all stale when you buy them, and in Charbucks case their burnt so all you taste is the ashy roast and not the beans.

Get some fresh roasted beans and the Encore and you'll see a massive difference. I've never used Misto but there are plenty of good roasters online that are affordable, never really cared for any of those subscription clubs as in some cases you get smaller amounts but usually you can go right to the roaster themselves for cheaper. Do you know what ratio your using for coffee to water when brewing? That'll help us know if your in range of a good extraction.

You in Orlando and have some roasters around you like Lineage and Ruby, pry some others if you yelp/google your area but FL doesn't have as many roasters as other states.
JavaGator

Posted Mon Nov 25, 2013, 6:03pm

CMIN Said:

First, yes you'll see a big difference, Mr Coffee grinders are more like bean mashers/gnawers (don't have good burr sets). Something like the Baratza Encore is cheap (about $130) and will far excel the Mr Coffee grinder. Second, throw out the Charbucks, DD, and Horton beans :) ... their all stale when you buy them, and in Charbucks case their burnt so all you taste is the ashy roast and not the beans.

Get some fresh roasted beans and the Encore and you'll see a massive difference. I've never used Misto but there are plenty of good roasters online that are affordable, never really cared for any of those subscription clubs as in some cases you get smaller amounts but usually you can go right to the roaster themselves for cheaper. Do you know what ratio your using for coffee to water when brewing? That'll help us know if your in range of a good extraction.

You in Orlando and have some roasters around you like Lineage and Ruby, pry some others if you yelp/google your area but FL doesn't have as many roasters as other states.

Posted November 25, 2013 link

Thanks for the reply.  I use about 35g to 1 liter of water.  I do get a better cup with the micro roasts from Mistobox then I get with the others, but I guess i have been used to DD and Hortons for a longtime.  The Encore looks like the basic model of the line, I will look for Santa to drop one off. I will look into the local roasters, never really searched for them locally.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Nov 26, 2013, 7:26am

You will see the difference with a good grinder. Sadly though, likely as not you will not like the change as the grinder will bring out the nasty flavor of the stale beans you are using. For espresso, beans go bad at about two weeks post roast. For other brew methods, I find I can get about a month from them. Anything from a supermarket is hopelessly stale. Forget about a BEST BY or USE BEFORE date. If you see those on your bag-o-beans, you should just keep on walking. A ROASTED ON date is the only information you need, most people can add two to four weeks to a date without much problem.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Jerry43

Espresso: Carisma
Grinder: Virtuoso, HG-One
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Huky 500
Posted Thu Nov 28, 2013, 6:59am

I have the Brazen and use a Virtuoso grinder. In fact I'm drinking my 99th cup right now as I have one filter left.  I experimented with brew temps and pre soak times. But the biggest improvement in the cup was adjusting my grinder 2 clicks finer. Which on the 40 click Virtuoso wasn't  a huge change. That change opened up the fruity notes that I like in light roasts. There's no doubt you will be taking your coffee experience to the next level with your very first cup made with a real grinder. Enjoy!
GarryG

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini II
Grinder: La Cimbali Jr.,Breville
Drip: Chemex, Krups, Bodum...
Posted Mon Dec 9, 2013, 12:47am

Agreeing in part and disagreeing in part with previous posters:  better, fresher coffee will make a bigger difference than a better grinder with your Brazen.  If you were talking espresso, that Mr. Coffee grinder would be hopeless.  But filter coffee makers are less sensitive to grind, so you can make pretty good coffee with your grinder if you get to know it well enough to produce reasonably consistent results.   A whirly-blade grinder heats the coffee more and produces a more uneven grind than a good burr grinder, but that isn't necessarily fatal to the quality of the brew with a filter brewer.  But if your grind varies randomly between coarser and finer, your results will be uneven.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Mon Dec 9, 2013, 7:28am

GarryG Said:

Agreeing in part and disagreeing in part with previous posters...

Posted December 9, 2013 link

And I will respond to yours with the same caveat.  ;-)

If the OP is using paper filters, then the advice that better coffee might make a bigger difference, depending on the OP's taste in coffee. Cheap grinders create more dust- not a coffee law" but certainly close enough to count as one. Dust creates bitterness. Paper filters tend to deal with that while metal filters do not do so very well and that creates mud in the cup and thus increased bitterness.

As mentioned in another post here, the Virtuoso is a god choice to use with the Brazen.

"Don't feed your champion dog Skippy."

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Dec 9, 2013, 9:14am

GarryG Said:

Agreeing in part and disagreeing in part with previous posters:  better, fresher coffee will make a bigger difference than a better grinder with your Brazen.  If you were talking espresso, that Mr. Coffee grinder would be hopeless.  But filter coffee makers are less sensitive to grind, so you can make pretty good coffee with your grinder if you get to know it well enough to produce reasonably consistent results.   A whirly-blade grinder heats the coffee more and produces a more uneven grind than a good burr grinder, but that isn't necessarily fatal to the quality of the brew with a filter brewer.  But if your grind varies randomly between coarser and finer, your results will be uneven.

Gotta disagree, even fresh roasted with a whirly bird or cheap grinder is still gonna suck, though be a little better then stale burnt store/charbucks type beans. Like said above they produce uneven particals and fines which can make the brew taste like blahhh even with fresh roasted. Case in point in-laws had a whirly bird and used Charbucks and DD beans, I found a roaster right by them and actually right next to her work lol, bought some beans. Did it make a difference, mehh not really, slightly better. They bought an Encore, and that + fresh roasted beans was a huge difference even on the regular Mr Coffee drip machine they have.
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Mon Dec 9, 2013, 9:29am

CMIN Said:

Gotta disagree, even fresh roasted with a whirly bird or cheap grinder is still gonna suck, though be a little better then stale burnt store/charbucks type beans. Like said above they produce uneven particals and fines which can make the brew taste like blahhh even with fresh roasted. Case in point in-laws had a whirly bird and used Charbucks and DD beans, I found a roaster right by them and actually right next to her work lol, bought some beans. Did it make a difference, mehh not really, slightly better. They bought an Encore, and that + fresh roasted beans was a huge difference even on the regular Mr Coffee drip machine they have.

+1  A good grinder and fresh coffee are key.  My work uses a blade grinder with fresh roasted coffee.  Compared to what I roast and brew at home (Macap burr grinder) even though both coffee's are fresh theses a very noticeable difference in taste.  I used to think I knew really good espresso until I moved to a stepless to really be able to dial in grinds, Now my eyes are wide open... For drip the Encore + some freshly roasted coffee will blow your taste bugs away.  Even a few dials on the Encore can completely change the taste.  Plus if your using a Behmor Brazen brewer you gotta match it with a good grinder. :p
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
al_bongo

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Solis 166/Iberital MC2
Vac Pot: Cona
Drip: Chemex/Melitta
Posted Mon Dec 9, 2013, 12:09pm

Difficult one.

My thoughts are that it would be relatively cheap to buy some freshly roasted coffee on line from a recognised roaster and see what you think with your current set up. No idea what the Mistobox sample club is but if they don't have a roast date within 7 days or so its not really a valid way to taste good coffee since roasted coffee goes stale so quickly.

If you're happy with your brew and you are planning to stick mostly with Dunkin Donuts and Tim Hortons I'm not sure I'd be rushing to buy a better grinder.

It does seem a shame since you've got a great brewer though not to go for some amazing freshly roasted coffees and then you could justify the Baratza Encore for instance which would I imagine produce some great coffee in your set up. But only if you're putting great freshly roasted coffee in at the front end.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Could I Tell...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.318717002869)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+