Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Current or Vintage 2-cup stovetop vacpot?
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Current or...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Arlette

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: krups
Vac Pot: cona new model A
Posted Sun Dec 8, 2013, 4:26am
Subject: Re: Current or Vintage 2-cup stovetop vacpot?

I have a Cona Kirby Beard Brevete  New Model A.

Does anybody know if this is the original Model A or is it a later version? It was apparently made for the  French market as it also says verrerie "Pyrex" I have no idea how old it is (other than it's certainly not new) and was left in this French house by the previous occupants some 10 years ago.

I would really appreciate any information.
 View Profile Link to this post

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Sun Dec 8, 2013, 5:07am

Cona coffee makers were marketed in France by Kirby Beard & Co. I don't know if any parts were manufactured in France, or just labelled for them. They were certainly manufactued in Germany and the UK, but all the stand parts I have seen were made in the UK (it is stamped underneath).  Often the versions sold in France were designed to use a cloth filter, rather than the glass one normal in German and UK versions.  I presume the glass manufacture was often - if not always - outsourced, and all the French ones I've seen have had "Pyrex" on them.  Some of the older UK ones have "Phoenix Glass" on them.

The only significant difference is that the French ones designed to use a cloth filter, sometimes have a narrower tube than the others. It's tricky to get a glass rod that will fit, although some will just about.

I'm not sure exactly how old yours is, but the design of the whole A/B/C/D range has remained virtually  unchanged in over 50 years, except for a slight recent modification to the stand, which is hardly noticeable. "New" Model" has been printed on the box for years ;o)

Have you used it ?  A lot of people woud love to get their hands on it I'm sure !
Arlette

Posted Sun Dec 8, 2013, 5:36am

Thank you for all of that information. It's amazing how much people know.

This one does have a metal filter with a cloth cover which has a drawstring. It has a kind of spring with a chain and clip so that it can be clipped onto the bottom of the stem of the upper glass.

No I have never used it. I am actually not that attached to it. Just an owner by chance. And there is a wick which has rust on it from the metal grill underneath (which sits in a porcelain ring into the neck of the bottom glass), so wouldn't fancy the coffee from it. I don't have a glass rod for it either.

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Sun Dec 8, 2013, 6:03am

It will be perfectly useable.  The burner may have surface rust on it, but of course it never gets anywhere near the drink, and complete replacement spirit burners are available anyway.  

You can get packs of  replacement cloth filters (or even make your own). Personally I don't like cloth filters simply because they need careful cleaning - they do make a very clean brew though.

One question - does the top globe have a rubber seal around it to fit in the neck of the bottom part, or is it cork ?  If it is a rubber seal, it is more likely that a glass filter rod would fit.

Whatever, there are at least 2 people on this forum looking for one of these.....

They do make excellent coffee.
Arlette

Posted Sun Dec 8, 2013, 6:51am

The seal on the upper part is black rubber not cork.

I should have realised that the burner won't go near the coffee, (duh!). I will take a photo of the whole thing it and post it a bit later on. (It's a cold bright day here so off walking for an hour or so).

Thank you again.
TeddyMac

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Vac Pot: Yama stovetop, Hario...
Drip: Hario woodneck, Bona-Vita...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Dec 11, 2013, 1:18pm

*Gulp*

I took the plunge and bought a TCA-3 to try for my tabletop-on-stovetop experiment. Could be an expensive experiment. I couldn't decide whether to get it or a TCA-2, the -3 holding 360ml and the -2 holding 240. As I measured out what I was actually drinking and the water I actually started with, it looked as if I might sometimes be a little loosesy-goosey with the measurements, as they say. Plus, in order to yield a roughly 240 ml cup of coffee, I'm clearly starting with more water than that. Additionally, I thought that if I had a guest, the current Yama stovetop 5-cupper is still too big.

I took measurements of my stove burner's widest width, so to speak, and compared it with what measurements I could find on the TCA-3. If I went about it right, the fit should be good. I'm more curious at this point about how high above the burner and flames the bottom bowl will actually be.

And most importantly, I've learned how addictive this coffee fascination can be. Since I last wrote, I also bought an Aeropress (still getting the hang of it, the yields are quite small) as well as a Behmor 1600 roaster (terrific fun, even if the results aren't exactly stellar yet!). And I'm already fantasizing about getting a TCA-2 if the TCA-3 feels too big! I've got a well-paying parttime job, but I'm going to have to go out and get a second one to pay for this expensive habit. I'd aim for barista training, but I'm just not that good under stress. How do those people do it?

I promise to report back with the TCA-3 results, good, bad or ugly.

Thanks again, you folks are great,
Teddy Mac

PS Someone asked about why the option of a burner is out for me. Two reasons: first, an unreasonable landlord; second, the safety of a wee one in the house.
Arlette

Posted Fri Dec 13, 2013, 10:26am

I've taken a photo of my Model A as I said I would.

Thank you for your information.

Arlette: cona model a.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Eastsideloco
Eastsideloco

Espresso: '74 Cremina, '91 Livietta...
Grinder: Vario-W, mid-century...
Vac Pot: Cona C, Kono PR 3, Hellem...
Drip: Kalita Wave, V60, Chemex,...
Posted Fri Dec 13, 2013, 2:07pm

As far as volume goes, with my 3-cup Kono, which is the same volume as the Hario you ordered, I get 2 x 8.5 oz servings.

I use these insulated Bodum glasses, just because I already had them:

Click Here (www.amazon.com)

While I like these double-insulated Bodum glasses a lot in general, they aren't necessarily an ideal fit with a vacpot. One of the great features of a vacpot of the stability of the brewing temperature (195°–200°F). But that also means that you wind up with coffee that is well above the ideal drinking temperature, which is more like 150–165°F.

A single-walled cup with a lot of surface area will help bring the drink temperature down relatively quickly after serving. At the Blue Bottle in San Francisco they serve vacpots with a tall, skinny mug with a high surface area to volume ratio. Great way to cool the drink down quickly.

With the Bodum glasses, I have to wait 10 minutes or so before drinking the siphon-brewed coffee—which is just enough time for me to make my wife's cappuccino and clean the machine afterwards.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TeddyMac

Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Vac Pot: Yama stovetop, Hario...
Drip: Hario woodneck, Bona-Vita...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 6:49pm

As promised, here's is my report on using a 3-cup Hario tabletop on the stovetop. Hopefully, pictures are successfully attached.

Shoot, I'm being told my pics are individually too big. Ugh. Well, I'm happy to say that using a tabletop over a stove burner, in my case, works fantastic. I feel like spreading the news somehow, that your vacpot choices aren't limited to the explicit stovetop models, so long as you have a gas burner. The Hario bulb actually sits higher off the flame than the Yama, though it's interesting that the settings I use to get the water to (and be stable at) 93C are exactly the same.

Though I worried that the handle might melt, it hasn't even so much as gotten hot. I don't know what the heck it's made of, but I can turn the burner off and grab the whole handle right away, and it's barely warm.

Just like you, Eastsideloco, I find that a full bulb of water gets me two 8-oz mugs. My goal is one mug so I fill to slightly under the 2 line, and it works great for a single, strong cuppa. And sure enough, the water-for-steam-in-lower-chamber to brewed-coffee-above ratio makes a big difference. Yum.

Needless to say, I'm incredibly happy. I'm still very glad to have the Yama for those times company has come, (and we all know how good the Coffee Theater is) but this has made my morning routine better. Combine that with a new-found interest in roasting, and experiments on a Behmor and Nesco, and I'm happy as a clam at high tide!

Thanks again for all your advice, everyone. I hope I'm repaying in part with this way-cool, excellent discovery.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Current or...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.260658979416)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+