Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Flaw with Kalita Wave Drippers
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Flaw with Kalita...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
squaremile

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Nov 29, 2013, 7:20pm
Subject: Re: Flaw with Kalita Wave Drippers

This is becoming frustrating. The 155 is a different device and you already have the answer, the holes are smaller in the 185 porcelain, that's why it takes longer to drain. Case closed. If you want a longer brew time with that size grind, then keep using the 185. What else is there to figure out?
 View Profile Link to this post
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Fri Nov 29, 2013, 7:32pm

squaremile Said:

This is becoming frustrating. The 155 is a different device and you already have the answer, the holes are smaller in the 185 porcelain, that's why it takes longer to drain. Case closed. If you want a longer brew time with that size grind, then keep using the 185. What else is there to figure out?

Posted November 29, 2013 link

Oh shoot, I'm sorry; I thought we were on a forum made for coffee conversation and debate. I happen to find extraction time and the relationship it has to dosing extremely important and certainly something worth discussing.

-Dave-
squaremile

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Nov 29, 2013, 9:29pm

I thought this thread was about why the Wave 155 drains faster than the 185 and how that is a "flaw". Extraction and dosing is definitely a worthwhile topic!
jmm5351
jmm5351

Posted Fri Nov 29, 2013, 9:30pm

TheSunInsideYou Said:

Oh shoot, I'm sorry; I thought we were on a forum made for coffee conversation and debate. I happen to find extraction time and the relationship it has to dosing extremely important and certainly something worth discussing.

-Dave-

Yeah, maybe that person feels left out of the discussion. But forget that person. On a serious note here.

TheSunInsideYou Said:

You're misunderstanding what I'm saying. I didn't say that making the coffee coarser increased the brewing time. I wasn't suggesting that coffee defies physics. I said that I coarsened the grind and AIMED for a longer brewing time. This was to compensate for the coarser grind. Also, the smaller kalita is smaller and steeper, and therefore makes the bed similar to the 185 in depth. It's not exactly the same, but the effects are similar. Let me liken this to a Chemex: With a 6-cup, you have exactly the same resistance as the 8-cup, because the only real resistance is the filter. But you would never be able to use 50g of coffee effectively in a 6-cup, whereas in an 8-cup, it's doable. The difference there is headspace for the water. But when you lower the dose, you would also shorten the extraction.

-Dave-

I do agree with that yes. Sorry for what ever reason I took what you initially said a different way. But you clarified it and that makes sense here.

TheSunInsideYou Said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're suggesting that 1g and 100g of coffee should extract in the same time in your kalita? 20g in a kalita 155 should finish at 3:30 just as 35g should?

-Dave-

And to answer this question. I would agree with you also and say no I am not suggesting that at all. You are going to the extremes and you do know it. 1 gram of coffee would be like a drop of water .... *Sarcastic* Also 1 gram of coffee would be the size of a pea in the 155 wave and not even fill the bottom or close to it. 100 grams of coffee would spill out everywhere of the 155. It barely holds 30 grams. The 185 size Wave won't accommodate 100 grams of coffee without spilling everywhere. Lets be realistic here about this. I of course mean within reason here. Just like in physics you can neglect drag for a lot things and other forces when calculating things. Here is the same thing. The difference in times is very small I would bargain to say that's because of how the Wave is designed. What I am suggesting is that the times of your brew on the 185 Wave should be around 3:00 to 3:30 times depending on your taste preference. I said this before too. You can find that information everywhere. That is the typical brew time for the 185 size Wave. I find that 3:30 brew time makes an amazing cup of coffee doing pulse pour method. Not sure what the 155 typical brew time is but I can say from experience it is around 2:50ish and the coffee was coming out weak tasting at the same grind and brew ratio. Obviously because the was faster and the steep time did was shorter.
jmm5351
jmm5351

Posted Fri Nov 29, 2013, 9:39pm

squaremile Said:

I thought this thread was about why the Wave 155 drains faster than the 185 and how that is a "flaw". Extraction and dosing is definitely a worthwhile topic!

No I just wrote that as a title because its short and to the point and to me, my opinion, it is sort of a flaw. I don't understand why it is like that. The water flows way to fast through the device and made much weaker coffee at same grind and brew ratio that I use for the 185. It is just sort of strange to me I suppose.
jmm5351
jmm5351

Posted Fri Nov 29, 2013, 9:40pm

I was hoping someone who owned both the 155 and 185 would chime in so I could hear what they have to say. And see if they prefer one over the other.
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Fri Nov 29, 2013, 11:57pm

jmm5351 Said:

I find that 3:30 brew time makes an amazing cup of coffee doing pulse pour method. Not sure what the 155 typical brew time is but I can say from experience it is around 2:50ish and the coffee was coming out weak tasting at the same grind and brew ratio. Obviously because the was faster and the steep time did was shorter.

I understand what you're saying about 3-3:30 brewing time. I also understand why a 2:50 extraction of the same coffee at the same grind would taste bleh. But the issue is that that only remains true if you keep all of the other parameters the same and just change your device. The device itself has an effect on your coffee; there is no doubting that. But the most important factor in this discussion is grind. 3:30 extraction time only remains perfect if the coffee is ground EXACTLY how is was ground the day that you felt it was perfect. The time isn't the golden ticket here; the dose and the grind are what make that time reasonable.

-Dave-
MWJB

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Rocky, Lido, Porlex, Hario...
Drip: Not enough room to list...
Posted Sat Nov 30, 2013, 4:30am

jmm5351 Said:

I was hoping someone who owned both the 155 and 185 would chime in so I could hear what they have to say. And see if they prefer one over the other.

I think this relates to the differing materials & tooling used, rather than the 155 vs 185, the holes in my steel wave drippers are identical.

Time, of itself, is a poor indicator of extraction, go by yield/taste. If you're underextracting, grind finer for that brewer.
jmm5351
jmm5351

Posted Sat Nov 30, 2013, 11:07am

TheSunInsideYou Said:

I understand what you're saying about 3-3:30 brewing time. I also understand why a 2:50 extraction of the same coffee at the same grind would taste bleh. But the issue is that that only remains true if you keep all of the other parameters the same and just change your device. The device itself has an effect on your coffee; there is no doubting that. But the most important factor in this discussion is grind. 3:30 extraction time only remains perfect if the coffee is ground EXACTLY how is was ground the day that you felt it was perfect. The time isn't the golden ticket here; the dose and the grind are what make that time reasonable.

-Dave-

Yep I agree that the dose and the grind are the parameters making that my brewing time reasonable for my 185. Thanks

MWJB Said:

I think this relates to the differing materials & tooling used, rather than the 155 vs 185, the holes in my steel wave drippers are identical.

Time, of itself, is a poor indicator of extraction, go by yield/taste. If you're underextracting, grind finer for that brewer.

Posted November 30, 2013 link

I will have to go finer next time I tinker with my 155 glass. I am tempted to purchase a steel wave now to try them out. They look nice and if I drop it, they will still live on :D
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Flaw with Kalita...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.395255088806)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+