Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Need new simple coffee maker ASAP per wife!!
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Need new simple...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
tekjunkie28

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013, 7:41am
Subject: Need new simple coffee maker ASAP per wife!!

Im looking for a coffee maker that is really good and prices less than $200. I prefer $150 or even less if its a good quality maker. I would love a TV but its way out of the price range and my wife really needs one before tomorrow which starts her 3 day work week. Our keurig died and they want me to spend another $120 on a replacement and I know tht its just going to die again in 2 years. Seems like a common problem with then and all the coffee they have seems weak and almosts tastes the same.  I would like to have the bonavita but I cant seem to find one locally. I was also looking at the Bunn HG phase brewer since its SCAA but it seems to have too many issues.
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013, 8:48am
Subject: Re: Need new simple coffee maker ASAP per wife!!

What method of brewing are you looking for?
K cups are very different than drip which is different than Aeropress.
Fresh coffee, freshly ground is MANDATORY so you will need a quality grinder also if you do not have one and no a whirly blade spice beater is not a coffee grinder, nor is a Vitamix, though I love my Vitamix, in the demos they say it can grind coffee. Sorry, it can not. It can mash coffee beans into powder and boulders but grind, no.

Fast and easy single cup brewing... Aeropress. About twenty bucks plus a way to boil water, grinder and fresh beans. It takes longer to talk about than to brew a cup once the water is hot and an electric hot water kettle will do a great job. My work setup is a $15 plastic, Wallyworld blue light special that has been brewing for 5 years now without a blip of a problem. Add to that a grinder and an Aeropress and you have my work coffee brewing station, well other than the commercial pour over drip for larger volumes. Per cup, Aeropress is hard to beat.

Now that I have talked about it, I am off to brew a cup!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
tekjunkie28

Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013, 10:21am

I've heard a lot about aeropress but I doubt the wife will want to go about all that as she is a full time mom student and employee. But I think she can take 6 mins to brew a great cup. I guess ideally I'm looking for a drip coffee maker such as a bunn HG or something similar. I'll ask her what she thinks about doing the areopress though. I don't have a grinder and I have a hole jug of folgers (yes I know) in the fridge that needs to be gone.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013, 10:36am

Aeropress can be done in 6 minutes - including cleanup - even weighing every dose on a scale and using a manual grinder.  Well....maybe not the first couple of times, but once the user gets used to it and develops a routine, it can certainly be achieved as the norm.

Fill water vessel (for stovetop or microwave heating). (20 seconds)
setup press for inversion or standard use. (10 seconds)
weigh beans and place in grinder. (20 seconds)
heat water and grind beans at same time if using the microwave.  If you're using stovetop, then start that asap (before doing the other steps). (1 minute in microwave - longer on stovetop) (grinding is about 1 minute in a manual, but less in electric)
put grounds in press, add water, steep, stir...or do whatever your method is. (1-3 minutes - depending on method used)
Press it out (10-15 seconds)
remove filter, plunge grounds to trash, compost bin, garden or sink. (10 seconds)
Rinse press (10 seconds)
drink coffee.

Seriously, that's all there is to it...and the coffee is really good.  Aeropress is what...$25? (sorry haven't seen the price in a year or so).

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
wabbitt
wabbitt
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: stovetop pots,aeropress
Grinder: skerton, SoloGrind
Drip: melitta cone, chemex
Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013, 10:55am

If you do go with a TV or Bonavita, just think of the money you'll save over a year buying better coffee.  Those k-cups are expensive and not environmentally friendly.  It's money well spent up front.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013, 10:58am

tekjunkie28 Said:

Im looking for a coffee maker that is really good and prices less than $200. I prefer $150 or even less if its a good quality maker. I would love a TV but its way out of the price range and my wife really needs one before tomorrow which starts her 3 day work week. Our keurig died and they want me to spend another $120 on a replacement and I know tht its just going to die again in 2 years. Seems like a common problem with then and all the coffee they have seems weak and almosts tastes the same.  I would like to have the bonavita but I cant seem to find one locally. I was also looking at the Bunn HG phase brewer since its SCAA but it seems to have too many issues.

Posted November 14, 2013 link

If $200 is your price range get the Bonavita, $164.92 free delivery AMAZON:

Click Here (www.amazon.com)

Maybe the BUNN has had its electronic issues fixed.  I had one of the early models and it was C-R-A-P.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
tekjunkie28

Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013, 11:37am

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

If $200 is your price range get the Bonavita, $164.92 free delivery AMAZON:

Click Here (www.amazon.com)

Maybe the BUNN has had its electronic issues fixed.  I had one of the early models and it was C-R-A-P.

Len

I would love the bonavita but my wife is determined to get one tonight and she is thinking about a Hamilton beach double brew. Although it has good ratings I don't see how it really compares...

For the aeropress I would need a scale and grinder... And what else?

Is there any other coffee makers out there that are decent besides the TV and bonavita. Brazen doesn't seem to be carried locally either.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013, 12:43pm

tekjunkie28 Said:

I would love the bonavita but my wife is determined to get one tonight and she is thinking about a Hamilton beach double brew. Although it has good ratings I don't see how it really compares...

For the aeropress I would need a scale and grinder... And what else?

Is there any other coffee makers out there that are decent besides the TV and bonavita. Brazen doesn't seem to be carried locally either.

A prime account at amazon and you could have it by Monday if not sooner if they have the one day shipping available.

Just a thought.  Prime is free for the 1st month if you do not have it.  You can cancel anytime during first month and pay no prime membership fee.

Hamilton Beach makes decent food processors; however cannot compare to a Bonavita.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
Burner0000

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013, 1:10pm

I'd stay away from hamilton beach if you are using anything but hard water.  

A Click Here (www.amazon.com)Bunn Velocity would do a lot better. Bunn is a solid brand and they are built better then the average brewer.  It's also got a thermal carafe so the coffee wont get cold so fast. It doesn't have a warmer which is good because it burns the coffee after a half hour.  

If you really want to blow your wife away with a cup of coffee and your willing to push the envelope get a Behmor Brazen,  Breville Youbrew or Bonavita

These are the top 3 consumer brewers that I've read about.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
DCcoffeeman
DCcoffeeman
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bialetti stovetop
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Zassenhaus
Vac Pot: French press
Drip: Clever Dripper, Melitta
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013, 1:12pm

My advice would be to buy a Clever Dripper (costs around $20) and inexpensive paper filters for it.  Then use the remainder of your budget to buy the best grinder within your budget.  The Clever Dripper combines a manual coffee maker and a French press. Once you boil water in a kettle, it takes about 5 minutes to make really great coffee.  If you have been drinking only Keurig coffee, you will notice flavors you never knew existed.  Of course, you have to buy good quality beans.  All in all, much cheaper and probably better than  coffee available at coffee shops.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Need new simple...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.305284023285)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+