Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Need new simple coffee maker ASAP per wife!!
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Need new simple...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013, 1:21pm
Subject: Re: Need new simple coffee maker ASAP per wife!!

DCcoffeeman Said:

My advice would be to buy a Clever Dripper (costs around $20) and inexpensive paper filters for it.  Then use the remainder of your budget to buy the best grinder within your budget.  The Clever Dripper combines a manual coffee maker and a French press. Once you boil water in a kettle, it takes about 5 minutes to make really great coffee.  If you have been drinking only Keurig coffee, you will notice flavors you never knew existed.  Of course, you have to buy good quality beans.  All in all, much cheaper and probably better than  coffee available at coffee shops.

Posted November 14, 2013 link

+1 if your willing to boil and steep with a clever dripper this would be the way to go over an electric brewer :)
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
tekjunkie28

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013, 2:31pm

Alright so I'm leaning towards a bunn velocity. I like the thermal carafe. I think I will get an aeropress just for myself. Which velocity model should I get? I see several different ones at bbb.
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013, 2:32pm

Actually with Aeropress, it comes with a scoop, it is close enough to just use one scoop of beans into the grinder.

My steps, less than 5 min total.
1 pour 1/2 l of water into Proctor Silex electric water kettle,  turn kettle on
2 get 1 scoop of beans and put in grinder
3  pull plunger almost out of Aeropress, (I use inverted method)    
4 grind beans and put into Aeropress
5 put paper filter into aeropress cap
6 wait for water to finish heating (.5 l does not take much time to heat so you can see how quick the above steps were)
7 add water to Aeropress when just off a boil, stirr for about 15 seconds
8 put filter cap on Aeropress, invert over coffee cup and plunge (total about 10 seconds for everything)
9 add remaining hot water to mug of coffee.
10 remove cap from Aeropress, pop the grounds into trash, wipe Aeropress with paper towel.
11 wipe counter with paper towel then toss.
12 enjoy coffee.
Total time less than the 5 minutes, honestly the thing that takes the most time is waiting for the water to heat all the other steps together take only about a minute.

YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013, 2:35pm

tekjunkie28 Said:

Alright so I'm leaning towards a bunn velocity. I like the thermal carafe. I think I will get an aeropress just for myself. Which velocity model should I get? I see several different ones at bbb.

Before you consider the Bunn Velocity you may wish to see if an always on unit is for you.  You should do more reading on it.  Personally I do not like always on heating element electrical appliances.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
Burner0000

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013, 2:43pm

This is the one I found on amazon.

Click Here

Check out the "certification" on this machine. :)
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013, 3:00pm

tekjunkie28 Said:

For the aeropress I would need a scale and grinder... And what else?

short answer is something like a pyrex pitcher to boil water in the microwave, and pretty much nothing else.  A scale is nice but not necessary.

Of course, you seem to have already decided by now...

what I didn't notice, is that you don't seem to have grinder in your purchase plan, and having asked this question earlier, I'm now wondering if you guys use preground?  If so, you will see a huge improvment in the cup if you switch over to freshly roasted beans and a decent grinder...no matter what brew method you use.  I'm actually surprised no one has mentioned this yet.  

My suggestion is...if you guys are using preground...get your wife a grinder for the holidays, buy her some fresh beans (roasted within the past couple of days, either locally one or two days before you give her the grinder present, or online to arrive one or two days before you give her the grinder present).

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
tekjunkie28

Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013, 4:37pm

How much water does the aepress hold? We typically drink several cups a day or fill a large tervis cup up
jpender
jpender

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013, 6:58pm

tekjunkie28 Said:

How much water does the aepress hold? We typically drink several cups a day or fill a large tervis cup up

And the arrow finds the heel of Achilles!

The maximum volume is something a little over 300 ml. You need to subtract at least 25 ml from this to allow you to insert the plunger. You also need to take into consideration the volume that the coffee grounds and foam/bloom take up. So it's probably about 250 ml, maybe a bit less, that you can count on. Frantic stirring helps.

Lots of people wish it had more volume: "If I could make 4 cups at a time [in an Aeropress] I would never use the Brazen." Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Alas, there is no larger volume Aeropress commercially available.
tekjunkie28

Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013, 6:59pm

Ok, so I went to the store after work... 3 of them. I found a bunn brewer but didn't get it and I searched and searched for a coffee grinder and the aeropress but didn't find a thing. Macys bbb, and belk had nothing but keurig crap. Anyplace else I can get the aeropress. My wife does really care about how her coffee tastes so I thought about getting that black and decker brewer that someone on this forum said was actually decent. Then I'll get me a aeropress and a grinder. Atleast that's my idea so far.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013, 7:27pm

tekjunkie28 Said:

Ok, so I went to the store after work... 3 of them. I found a bunn brewer but didn't get it and I searched and searched for a coffee grinder and the aeropress but didn't find a thing. Macys bbb, and belk had nothing but keurig crap. Anyplace else I can get the aeropress. My wife does really care about how her coffee tastes so I thought about getting that black and decker brewer that someone on this forum said was actually decent. Then I'll get me a aeropress and a grinder. Atleast that's my idea so far.

I'm scratching my head here trying to figure out the logic you are using.  Cost of Black & Decker (junk) + aeropress (good but single cup) = Bonavita on amazon shipped for free.  And you really want a Bonavita by your previous comments.  Why not just buy the Bonavita and appreciate it for years to come, instead of a junk Black & decker?  Surely the wife can wait a couple days and appreciate a real good coffee maker instead of an immediate (?) purchase of a junk one.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Need new simple...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.377612829208)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+