Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Kettles: Kalita Thin Spout, Wave, or Buono?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Kettles: Kalita...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
rmp71701

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Nov 12, 2013, 9:55am
Subject: Kettles: Kalita Thin Spout, Wave, or Buono?

I'm new to the pour over world (& coffeegeek.com) & loving it. In the process of assembling my arsenal.

I've already got a Bonmac ceramic dripper (may be diversifying & trying other ones as well down the road).  But I'm needing a good stovetop kettle. Looking for some help on deciding on the right one & wanted to ask for recommendations, experiences.

Things I'm considering: 1) Quality of stainless steel - for taste, longevity, safety, etc., 2)Performance, & 3)Cost, though I look at the kettle as a long term investment of sorts & try not to restrict myself too much with price. With 2 kids I do live on a budget though.

OK so here's what I'm looking at:

1) Buono - Obviously one of the most popular right now. Cost is a plus. I know Bonavita is comparable & cheaper, but I'd prefer Japanese made from Hario. What I don't like about Buono is lightness & construction (I'd prefer seamless bottom, not a base plate).

2) Kalita Thin Spout - Good reputation brand & looks solid. Good construction. Small, but I just brew one big cup at a time for me only, so size is not a big deal. But I have seen no reviews on this.  Don't want to drop the money on it if I'd fair better w/ the much cheaper Buono.

3) Kalita Wave - Seen good reviews on this. Most expensive by far. But also different spout than the above two - is it considerably better? Anyone use both the Kalita thin spout & the Wave - what do you like better?

Yes, I realize I overthink & overanalyze things.  But I don't have the $$ to own more than one of these, so I want to make sure whatever I get is going to be the right one for me for awhile. Hence, my post.  Many thanks for the input & advice.
 View Profile Link to this post
BoldJava
BoldJava

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Tue Nov 12, 2013, 12:00pm
Subject: Re: Kettles: Kalita Thin Spout, Wave, or Buono?

I have used the Bonavita, and own a Kalita, a Tiamo, and a Paico.  I sold my Buono as it had the worst tip of the bunch.

The best is the Paico for size and for measured, controlled pour.   For sale on ebay, $40 shipped.

My go-to kettle, $33 when I bought it.  It ships from Hong Kong and arrived on my porch in 10 days.  If you really want to drop some bucks, look at a Takahiro.

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
rmp71701

Posted Tue Nov 12, 2013, 1:28pm

Thanks @BoldJava for the input.  Yeah I looked at the Paico briefly.  Looks like a bear to clean (although that would only be on an occasional basis). Honestly I was trying to steer away from made in China, which is why I didn't ask about Tiamo & Paico.

Which Kalita do you have?  Curious your input on that.

Oh, and when I hit the lottery I'll try out the Takahiro!
squaremile

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Nov 12, 2013, 1:41pm

I rock the Bonavita temp-controlled electric, love it. Cant say about the precision of the spout compared to others however.
BoldJava
BoldJava

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Tue Nov 12, 2013, 4:56pm

rmp71701 Said:

Which Kalita do you have?  Curious your input on that.

Posted November 12, 2013 link

Paico on left, Kalita Pelican in center, Tiamo on right.

Paico is my hands-down favorite.  Pelican is less balanced in my hand/pouring, is a bit shy on volume compared to the other two, and has no retaining dimple on the top -- will come off when pouring.  Great drip control, though.

BoldJava: TrintyKettles.jpg
(Click for larger image)

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
oktyone

Posted Wed Nov 13, 2013, 5:30am

Some Hario products are actually made in China, not sure about the Buono.

I've had the Paico for a couple of years now and absolutely love it, built well, the stainless steel feels more heavy/solid than the Buono, pours many times better, and the lid actually locks into place, you don't need to hold it while pouring.
rmp71701

Posted Wed Nov 13, 2013, 9:20am

@oktyone - Did not realize that about Hario.  Just saw that the electric Buono is China made.  One reviewer who has both electric and stovetop Buono said there is a noticeable difference in quality: the stovetop, Japanese-made kettle is much better quality.

I'm going to keep Paico in mind. Price & good reviews are certainly noteworthy.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Kettles: Kalita...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.279135942459)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+