Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Using Bialetti Mukka Express as a Bialetti Brikka
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Using Bialetti...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
HKaffeine

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, La...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini and various hand...
Posted Sun Nov 10, 2013, 10:31pm
Subject: Using Bialetti Mukka Express as a Bialetti Brikka

I've been using my girlfriend's mukka express lately to make milkless-coffees.

Looking through the Bialetti catalogue, it seems that the Mukka Express works the same way as the Brikka. Pressure builds up and eventually the weight lifts to release heated water and then steam through the grounds.  The difference between the two is that the Mukka Express pipes the steam through a little nozzle that froths up the milk.

And, even though I own and use high end espresso equipment, I appreciate the Mukka Express. With very little preparation and cleanup, you get a better milk coffee that will be found in most Starbucks. It's not the right way to brew coffee if you want "notes of blackcurrent" or other acidity notes from freshly roasted speciality coffee. Those coffees are wasted on such a harsh brewing technique. But it makes something very drinkable out of affordable supermarket preground coffee.

The optimal amount of water for the "capuccino" is marked on the included measuring cap. And that works well. For milkless drinks, I'm finding that using more water and a finer ground seems to improve the final product.

Has anyone else followed the same path / has ideas about using the Mukka Express without milk?
 View Profile Link to this post
LisaT

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue Dec 3, 2013, 9:50am
Subject: Re: Using Bialetti Mukka Express as a Bialetti Brikka

Hi HKaffeine,

I was wondering exactly how you use the Bialetti Mukka Express without the milk?  Do you put the water in the top area or in the bottom?  My first instinct is to put it in the bottom like I would my moka pot. And when using it with milk, have you ever tried Almond milk?  It has a very thick consistency but I want to make sure it's ok to use in the mukka.

Thanks for your help!  

LisaT
Ropeclimber

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Jan 25, 2014, 10:55am
Subject: Re: Using Bialetti Mukka Express as a Bialetti Brikka

I've done this a few times with my Mukka Express. You proceed just as you would normally, but just omit the milk step. Your reservoir will be empty when you screw on the top part.

This method will make for a thick "crema", but the resulting coffee will be rather weak, which will make sense if you consider the amount of coffee in the filter and the amount of water in the boiler, compared to the same for a 4-cup Brikka.

Now, you CAN pour another liquid in the reservoir, other than milk, such as whiskey, for an Irish. But in that case, you'll want to also include the milk! :)

Anyway, if I want a strong crema drink, I'll use my Brikka 2 or 4 :)

My preferred pot is the 3-cup Moka Express.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Using Bialetti...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (3.37720108032)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+