Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
French press problems
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > French press...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Kendrian

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Hario Woodneck, Aeropress +...
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Fri Nov 1, 2013, 4:16am
Subject: French press problems

So, I've had some great brews out of my French press lately; it's normally my favorite brewing method because of the enhanced body. I'm willing to deal with some sediment in the coffee. But in the last few days I've had no success at all pressing my coffee. I haven't changed anything about my technique that I can think of, but the coffee is just tasting underextracted every time. I lengthened the steeping time from 4 minutes to 5 or 5 and a half, and still there's just no life to the brew. It's not undrinkable or bitter or unpleasant, just boring. Any ideas?

My method:
- ~16 g coffee to ~240 ml water
- Press preheated by a flush with boiling water
- Water poured just off a boil
- Bloom for ~20-30 sec; I just play this by ear depending on how fresh the coffee is.
- Vigorous stir to be sure no grounds are suspended in the bloom
- Start timer for 5 min
- Slow plunge and pour into prewarmed mug
 View Profile Link to this post
MWJB

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Rocky, Lido, Porlex, Hario...
Drip: Not enough room to list...
Posted Fri Nov 1, 2013, 11:49am
Subject: Re: French press problems

Small pots are harder to get a high level of extraction with, the more water you use the better the thermal inertia, though having said that, you seem to be saying brews with the same pot aren't meeting expectation.

My personal preference is for a smaller dose (14g/250g) and longer steeps times.

I don't bother with blooming, I add the water first, grinds in on top, fold in, then a quick stir & steep. Avoid vigorous stirring...whatever method you use, just get everything wet & use the plunger to submerge grinds.

I don't plunge (picked up this tip from James Hoffmann's blog), when you think the brew is ready, sink any grounds still floating, scoop off any foam, pour out a little coffee into a cold cup to taste - taste it tepid, not hot, as hot you get a false impression of sweetness & it gets more sour as it cools. The first couple of table spoons out of the pot may just be oil, I discard this.

When you are happy with the taste (not before, go by taste rather than time) put the lid & plunger back on, holding the plunger above the surface of the brew (but below the spout obviously) & pour through it. Don't stir/plunge deep into the brew after steep starts.

Lastly, make sure your kettle doesn't taint the the water...some do, some don't, it doesn't seem to follow any particular material, more the precise model.
squaremile

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Nov 1, 2013, 5:13pm

How old is the coffee and how are you storing it?
Kendrian

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Hario Woodneck, Aeropress +...
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Sat Nov 2, 2013, 12:46pm

I'll try some of these suggestions- I would brew larger pots, except I'm just one person and I rarely consume more than one 8 oz cup at a time.

The coffee was roasted 3-4 days ago, definitely less than a week, and is stored in airtight glass jars.
GlennM

Posted Wed Nov 6, 2013, 10:40am

You might want to play around a bit with your grind of the beans.  I find going just a little bit finer goes a long way to improving flavour extraction and body...
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Wed Nov 6, 2013, 11:17am

If playing with the grind doesn't do anything I'd look into the beans.  Can you tell us more about the roasts and green beans?  One thing I noticed when using jars was sunlight.  Direct sunlight can have an effect on the beans.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > French press...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.231354951859)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+