Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Cheapest possible electric grinder for pour-over
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Cheapest...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sat Oct 26, 2013, 1:43am
Subject: Cheapest possible electric grinder for pour-over

Hi guys..

I want to get a dedicated grinder for drip brew.  But I want to spend as little as possible.

What is the cheapest grinder you would consider buying pour-over coffee?

So far I'm looking between these two:
Melitta 80395 Coffee Grinder
Capresso Coffee Burr Grinder

I've ruled out whirly grinders, however if you swear by one, I'd like to know also.

Thanks for any suggestions!
 View Profile Link to this post
MWJB

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Rocky, Lido, Porlex, Hario...
Drip: Not enough room to list...
Posted Sat Oct 26, 2013, 3:15am
Subject: Re: Cheapest possible electric grinder for pour-over

For drip, because evenness of grind is important for good extraction & controlling flow through the bed, I think you'd be better off spending a bit more on an electric grinder, perhaps one of the Baratza grinders?

I know you asked about electric grinders specifically, but a hand grinder can give great value for money & good performance (especially in the finer drip ranges). If you are brewing for 1, then you can usually grind a dose in less time than it takes for the kettle to heat the water.

The grinders you mention may be better for immersion methods, if they create a lot of fines then it would be for the better if those immersion methods utilised a paper filter, like the Bonavita Immersion Cone, or Aeropress.
tglodjo
tglodjo
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Wave, V60, Chemex, Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Oct 26, 2013, 5:32am

A year ago I would have thought $129 for a grinder was crazy, now, the Baratza Encore would be my minimum recommendation for pour over brew methods and french press - though I would personally stretch my budget to a Virtuoso w/ Preciso Burrs. Consistency and minimal fines is key. I used to have a Bodum Bistro (similar to the Capresso you mentioned) and it produced a crazy amount of fines. Not sure about the Melitta.
z0mbie
z0mbie

Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 12:25am

MWJB Said:

For drip, because evenness of grind is important for good extraction & controlling flow through the bed, I think you'd be better off spending a bit more on an electric grinder, perhaps one of the Baratza grinders?

I know you asked about electric grinders specifically, but a hand grinder can give great value for money & good performance (especially in the finer drip ranges). If you are brewing for 1, then you can usually grind a dose in less time than it takes for the kettle to heat the water.

The grinders you mention may be better for immersion methods, if they create a lot of fines then it would be for the better if those immersion methods utilised a paper filter, like the Bonavita Immersion Cone, or Aeropress.

Posted October 26, 2013 link

Thanks for the advice.. Although I'd point out the cheapest Baratza is 3 times as much as the grinder's I have been looking at, so I wouldn't quite say it's "a bit more" :)

I do insist on an electric though. It's a purchase with my SO in mind. She is not interested in using a hand grinder and will likely stick to making instant coffee every morning..   From my own experience, beans trump grind by a large margin for drip coffee. And honestly, neither my wife or I will appreciate the difference between a $45 grinder and a $450 grinder.  For her, coffee is coffee.   As far as drip coffee is concerned, bean quality that dictates 90% of the flavor, and brew method dictates 90% of the body.  At least in my experience I know this to be true.

Anyway I am looking for a decent electric grinder that has the least grind retention.  I would consider a blade grinder if anyone knows of a good one.  Unfortunately all the ones I've used in the past required a bit of fiddling to get a consistent grind.   I've only started drinking drip coffee and would prefer my wife make a pot with pour-over method than using instant coffee every morning.  BTW,  I do have a hand grinder (an HG1) that is strictly dedicated to my espresso hobby.  Side note--I recently wrote review on it, where I pointed out my wife had trouble using it.  Also, I also have a Hario Mini Slim hand grinder but she "ain't got time for that" Lol.
MWJB

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Rocky, Lido, Porlex, Hario...
Drip: Not enough room to list...
Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 4:58am

z0mbie Said:

As far as drip coffee is concerned, bean quality that dictates 90% of the flavor, and brew method dictates 90% of the body.  At least in my experience I know this to be true.

Posted October 27, 2013 link

Well, I'm not sure about that. I don't know of a bean that can't be made to taste awful ;-). Extraction yield is the bigger driver of flavour, whatever the brew method. Even high street beans, well extracted, can taste good.

Why the insistence on pourover? For a less capable grinder, immersion brews will be less fussy (as long as you can control sediment).
z0mbie
z0mbie

Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 1:03pm

MWJB Said:

Well, I'm not sure about that. I don't know of a bean that can't be made to taste awful ;-). Extraction yield is the bigger driver of flavour, whatever the brew method. Even high street beans, well extracted, can taste good.

Why the insistence on pourover? For a less capable grinder, immersion brews will be less fussy (as long as you can control sediment).

Posted October 27, 2013 link

Of course, I forget, yes how much coffee you use does dictate the flavor the most. But such an aspect is highly adjustable, even after the fact. (just add more water if it is too strong).

Anyway I like pour over mainly because it produces a clean, balanced cup over immersion.  I have an Aeropress which is great too but I find it messy and takes up more room than my $5 Melita which is incredibly simple, even over the Aeropress.  The only clean up is to toss out the used filter.  No grinds to wash, wipe or dust off, no drying, etc.  I can make coffee half asleep whereas with the Aeropress I have spilled coffee quite a few times due to lack of coordination in the morning.
JPF

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi, Pre-millenium...
Grinder: Dosered SJ, Resurrected...
Vac Pot: Yama Siphon
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery I
Posted Tue Oct 29, 2013, 6:33am

You could try to score a bulk grinder on craigslist, the ultimate drip gind.  Just checked and there's a grindmaster 190s near me for $100.  Never know what you'll find.

Living the caffeinated life.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Cheapest...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.304126977921)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+