Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Best Grinder for Drip Coffee?
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Best Grinder for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
BoldJava
BoldJava
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Sat Apr 16, 2011, 7:46pm
Subject: Re: Best Grinder for Drip Coffee?

hankua Said:

I still think the Starbucks Barista refurb at $80 is great grinder to have on the counter, and looks nice as well. It's said to be a cross between a Virtuoso and Maestro, with the larger motor, weighted base and pulse button. It also has on and off switch instead of the timer...

Posted April 16, 2011 link

One I bought for my daughter has a timer; works extremely well.  Good daily grinder though its grind for press pot is less impressive - uneven.   Timer on side .

B|Java

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Vivaldi

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Spaziale Vivaldi II
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Sat Apr 16, 2011, 8:01pm

For me, cost is not a factor if it produces a discernible difference in taste.  That's the point of moving up to the next level, isn't it?  What works best looks best to me.
 View Profile Link to this post
JPDyson
JPDyson

Grinder: Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama tc5
Drip: V60, Bonmac, Chemex
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery II
Posted Sat Apr 16, 2011, 8:34pm

hankua Said:

...and looks nice as well

A word of caution about this - I spoke at length to a very helpful lady at Baratza regarding which grinder to purchase (settled on the Virtuoso). She cautioned me that the Barista is a painted case, and not a colored plastic like the Maestro (actually, it's a Maestro case painted silver at Starbucks' request). As a result, the finish doesn't have the same longevity/durability, and may scratch or flake revealing the black material beneath the pain.

She felt it was important enough to mention...

--Josh
hankua
hankua
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Salvatore One Black
Grinder: Major, Rossi, Tanzenia,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, CCD
Roaster: Feima 800n
Posted Sat Apr 16, 2011, 10:35pm

Well I mentioned the Barista because of price/ performance. Web Restaurant Store has the bunn lpg new for 467 plus shipping. It should last a lifetime in a home setting and just about everyone who has it can taste the difference in the cup. The next level after Bunn is Ditting and Mahlkonig. Another option to consider is the new OE Pharos Titan hand grinder with 68mm conical burrs.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Sun Apr 17, 2011, 1:17am

Get yourself one of these hand mills - IMHO, if you pay over $30 with shipping you paid too much.

Here is an unmarked mill stamped 155 on the bottom along with "Made in Western Germany". I like it for drip/pour over and French press. It was like new till I used it so it comes with clean and sharp burrs. The handle is very long and the burr set is large - once it gets moving the momentum keeps it moving with little effort, acting like a heavy flywheel. With sixty almost effortless turns, 16 grams of beans are reduced to evenly ground coffee. The lower adjustment from inside is similar to most of the other open mills with a plate acting as a pivot point making contact with the bottom of the large inner burr. This one spins freely with no burr rub at what might be a perfect Aeropress grind and opens up easily for larger particle sizes - the larger the size, the faster it grinds. Nice.

EricBNC: Yellow 155 Main.JPG
(Click for larger image)

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
AaronMiller

Espresso: VBM DD
Grinder: Major, Kyocera
Vac Pot: Espro press
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Sun Apr 17, 2011, 6:28am

jkoll42 Said:

I am also into appearance - my next project is to make a carbon fiber knock box holder and work on making a carbon portafilter handle.  The LPG is indeed ugly, but it is growing on me.  Almost so ugly that it looks cool.  But... now you have my brain thinking about doing a carbon wrap so thanks a lot.  That's really what I need is to spend more $!

You have access to the molds and resins to wrap your own carbon fiber? That is very cool! Matching carbon bikes and espresso gear would be very cool :)
shnxx
shnxx

Posted Sun Oct 20, 2013, 12:22am

I'm reviving this thread because I would like to find out what are the best drip coffee grinders.

I have a K10 Pro Barista grinder for espresso and a Bezzera BB003 which I'm probably going to sell soon
squaremile

Posted Sun Oct 20, 2013, 12:04pm

Baratza Virtuoso /end thread
shnxx
shnxx

Posted Sun Oct 20, 2013, 1:14pm

lol nice
PandaMatic

Grinder: Hario MSS-1B Mini, Baratza...
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Posted Tue Oct 22, 2013, 5:36pm

I bought a Baratza Virtuoso 586 a couple of months ago and have been extremely pleased with it. The grind is very consistent and perfectly suited to both my Brazen drip brew and french press. Previously I was using a Hario Slim Mini Mill, which was a huge step up from a blade grinder, but both pale in comparison to the Virtuoso. The consistency and repeatability allowed me to finally hone in on other variables like origin/roast of the beans and temperature.

Anyhow, just my two cents... :)
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Best Grinder for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.306324958801)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+