Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Which brewing method produces the best coffee?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Which brewing...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
JKalpin
JKalpin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Oct 7, 2013, 1:48pm
Subject: Re: Which brewing method produces the best coffee?

What is *good*?

You need to know that, in the process of making *good*, we geeks go overboard:  a bit finer grind, a bit hotter water, a bit longer brew time (etc) trying to enhance the flavour and intensity.

When I do that I eventually reach the  point of *too good*.  Its too intense and in that way, unpleasant.

So, I frequently go to my closest coffee-bar, where they brew in 5 litre pots, never change the grind or the formula or the brew conditions, make decent but pedestrian coffee.

In that way I fine-tune my taste-buds to recognize when I'm brewing *too good* sooner.

The OP has posed an impossible question.  Everyone's taste is different.

Jerry
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Mon Oct 7, 2013, 4:47pm

JKalpin Said:

What is *good*?

When I do that I eventually reach the  point of *too good*.  Its too intense and in that way, unpleasant.

Posted October 7, 2013 link

Well, that's a misnomer, but by definition, if the coffee is unpleasant and too intense, then it is not good at all.

Food tastes, coffee included, are subjective. Period. That is why such questions as that presented by the OP cannot be answered. I am sure there are plenty of folks who would not like our homemade, "old school" sauerkraut. They have an idea of what it should taste like from family picnics or county fairs. Ours is lactic acid fermented naturally and has no vinegar.

We can talk about preparation methods, ease of preparation and brewing, investment, and even body, but "best" is just too vague, and in terms of taste, impossible.

Indeed, this thread is becoming a discussion of the definition of subjective and its application.

"My coffee is best, and if you don't agree, you just don't know anything about coffee."  ;-)

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Tue Oct 8, 2013, 1:17am

frcn Said:

I am sure there are plenty of folks who would not like our homemade, "old school" sauerkraut. They have an idea of what it should taste like from family picnics or county fairs. Ours is lactic acid fermented naturally and has no vinegar.

I guess my father in law makes sauerkraut that way, too: finely cut, salted, tamped, lacto-fermented cabbage from his own garden. It's delicious!

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Oct 8, 2013, 6:09am

That is how I make it too, uh, back to coffee.

My way is the best and forget the rest then again your mouth, your taste WILL vary, it is all personal, there is NO best, only best for you, I smell a troll, I need to go look under the bridge, carry on!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Wed Oct 9, 2013, 7:31am

calblacksmith Said:

I smell a troll, I need to go look under the bridge, carry on!

Posted October 8, 2013 link

DoNotFeedTroll.svg

NobbyR: DoNotFeedTroll.jpg

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
shnxx
shnxx
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Oct 9, 2013, 6:30pm

methinks espresso.
VKirby

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Fri Oct 11, 2013, 9:55am

STOP!  You are to ask ONLY questions whose answers will be strictly objective & factual.  Eliciting differing opinions/experiences or general discussion of a subjective nature only makes up super angry (about coffee).

z0mbie Said:

regular drip
pour over method
machine espresso cafe americano
vacuum/siphon
perculator
french press
aeropress
cold brew (although this a different drink, it's still regular brew strength coffee).
instant (freeze dried foamed coffee)
sock filter
stovetop moka pot espresso - cafe americano
aeropress espresso - cafe americano
vietnamese SS coffee press/filter into hot water

Apology if I missed any.  Sorry mastication followed by hot water doesn't count, although I'm sure someone out there has done it ...once. LOL

Posted October 6, 2013 link

In fact that method is in someone's signature around here.  

If there's anything better than an espresso americano, I don't want to know about it.  THe best I can do is with a vacuum pot.  For Every Day Brewing, regular auto drip.
JavaMD
JavaMD

Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Fri Oct 11, 2013, 8:08pm

Not sure it is best ... but for me it works well ...

I have the Bunn Trifecta MB  ... a glorified, quick and easy aeropress type of cup of coffee with no fuss.  
I brew one cup at a time (Use a Vario-W grinder w steel burrs using 21 gm of coffee to 10 oz water) ... you can pre weigh the beans with the vario so there is nothing left in the hopper after the grind.
And since I roast coffee, I will rarely have the same bean twice in a morning ... easy to toss a different bean into the Vario and get a new origin and a different experience.

I like pour overs, aeropress, and espro and appreciate them ... but gotta get going and out the door in the am and this fits the bill of a great cup with an easy switch of bean variety and always produces a great cup.

Steve
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Fri Oct 11, 2013, 9:02pm

Burner0000 Said:

Depending on my mood and schedule I switch it up all the time but if I had the time to brew all the time this would be my favorite to least out of them all.

And THERE IT IS.
Whatever fits your mood. Sometimes I want my Kalita. Sometimes it's a braZen pot. Sometimes a shot of espresso. Sometimes.....
That sometimes extends to WHICH varietal I want, and that may influence which preparation I choose.
There is no concrete answer here, not for me.
Just last week I had the best "coffee" I've had in years, prepared via Kalita, better than any shot of espresso (which I love) I've ever had.
Yet, tomorrow I'm likely gonna be in the mood for a nice 1.5oz tight shot of a comfort food blend.
Just is.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Which brewing...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.551711082458)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+