Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Which brewing method produces the best coffee?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Which brewing...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun Oct 6, 2013, 4:07am
Subject: Which brewing method produces the best coffee?

1. regular drip
  2. pour over method
  3. machine espresso cafe americano
  4. vacuum/siphon
  5. perculator
  6. french press
  7. aeropress
  8. cold brew (although this a different drink, it's still regular brew strength coffee).
  9. instant (freeze dried foamed coffee)
  10. sock filter
  11. stovetop moka pot espresso - cafe americano
  12. aeropress espresso - cafe americano
  13. vietnamese SS coffee press/filter into hot water

Apology if I missed any.  Sorry mastication followed by hot water doesn't count, although I'm sure someone out there has done it ...once. LOL
 View Profile Link to this post
jliedeka
jliedeka

Grinder: Rocky Stainless
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor, heat gun
Posted Sun Oct 6, 2013, 7:27am
Subject: Re: Which brewing method produces the best coffee?

I don't think there is any objective way to say any of those is best. I would move instant and percolator to the bottom.  The rest comes down to preference and even mood.

I like a nice Turkish or Vietnamese coffee once in a while but wouldn't drink them all the time.  I used to be really into espresso but ended up liking roasting different origins better so drip for me most of the time.

Jim

Cafe todo el dia, tequila toda la noche
JKalpin
JKalpin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Oct 6, 2013, 9:13am

You are missing major issues:

What kind of brewer you use depends a lot on batch size.

For 1 mug I use my Aeropress.  When the family comes over I do a (1.2 litre) pot, or two, with my BraZen.  My local coffee-bar makes 5 litre urns.

People who like 'intense' might have espresso.

People who don't like 'intense' might have a latte, which is an espresso foamed-milk combo.  But if you had 12 people over for dinner you might not want to do that ?!

Your 'choice' might depend on how much money you have.  You can get in cheap with an entry-level grinder and a (say) Clever Coffee Dripper.  But if you get into espresso you might spend (say) $2000 on the machine and then it would be reasonable to budget $600 for a quality grinder.

Once you did find that 'best cup' you would hear tell from others that it could be better if you bought bulk greens and roasted your own.  That is even more money and possibly some push-back from your partner.

Jerry
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sun Oct 6, 2013, 3:06pm

It is an unanswerable question. It ignores all factors, and I mean ALL!
Define "best" to begin with.
" Best taste," by definition, is subjective. What I like best might be sewage to you.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sun Oct 6, 2013, 3:47pm

z0mbie Said:

regular drip
pour over method
machine espresso cafe americano
vacuum/siphon
perculator
french press
aeropress
cold brew (although this a different drink, it's still regular brew strength coffee).
instant (freeze dried foamed coffee)
sock filter
stovetop moka pot espresso - cafe americano
aeropress espresso - cafe americano
vietnamese SS coffee press/filter into hot water

Apology if I missed any.  Sorry mastication followed by hot water doesn't count, although I'm sure someone out there has done it ...once. LOL

Posted October 6, 2013 link

Like asking "which jeans make your butt look better?"
Depends on the butt.

In this case, why not go to a cafe that features several different styles of brewing with the same coffee. Drink only a small portion of each, but have them all in front of you.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
z0mbie
z0mbie

Posted Sun Oct 6, 2013, 3:57pm

True, taste is entirely subjective.  But the question remains. . Which method do *you* think produces the best coffee... and by coffee I am referring to the the drink everyone commonly knows as just coffee.  Not espresso.  Not Vietnamese cafe sua da, Turkish, Armenian or any other concentrated brew which sweetener is added.  Just that delicious drink peple think about when the term 'regular coffee' is used. That is why I specifically indicate caffe Americano when I included espresso. Americanos were invented to accomodate GIs because Italians didn't have "regular coffee" so simulated one by adding hot water to an espresso... and the GI replied,  "That'll work!" :)

Anyway let's forget batch size or any other variation of coffee (like lattes, cappas etc).   I'm talking the standard cup-o-joe plain black coffee.  If that's not the kind of drink you enjoy, them it is pointless to answer because you don't have a point of reference.

For instance,  for me if I had my choice between a cups of coffee of the same desired strength, only differentiated by brew method (and if course its corresponding appropriate grind), I prefer aeropress.

If 90% say pour over then maybe I might give it another try.  I agree that percolator is the absolute worst,  followed by watering down a concentrated brew.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sun Oct 6, 2013, 6:50pm

Like everyone said here, its subjective.  Like Rob said, try a bit of each and decide for yourself.  And don't be influenced by a svelte chicky babe with painted on Calvin Kleins who may be your server ... or a fat mama jama with the same.

Len

CoffeeRoastersClub: xz.jpg
(Click for larger image)

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sun Oct 6, 2013, 11:41pm

I'd put it this way: Any brewing method can produce great coffee using high quality, freshly roasted and ground beans, the appropriate brewing temperature, and the right technique. Which coffee you like best depends on your personal preferences.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
frcn
frcn

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Mon Oct 7, 2013, 6:57am

z0mbie Said:

True, taste is entirely subjective.  But the question remains. . Which method do *you* think produces the best coffee... and by coffee I am referring to the the drink everyone commonly knows as just coffee.  Not espresso.  Not Vietnamese cafe sua da, Turkish, Armenian or any other concentrated brew which sweetener is added.  Just that delicious drink people think about when the term 'regular coffee' is used. ...

Posted October 6, 2013 link

Now the original question gets narrowed down and becomes personal (*you*).  Better responses may have come from a better thought-out survey question. But to pick one method as being best or always preferred is like asking, "Which would you rather have if you could only pick one, a stovetop or an oven or a microwave?" Sometimes I eat a bowl of cereal with a tablespoon and sometimes with a teaspoon. They each have their place (flakes vs. granola, and I enjoy both and often mix them)

For those with long term experience in coffee with multiple brew methods at hand, I think the question may be considered pointless. "Different" is not necessarily "better" nor worse.  Variety is the spice of life. Sometimes a pot from the Brazen, sometimes a cup from the Espro Press which I prefer over the Aeropress. And then there are issues of situation, economy, volume, roast level, etc.

Probably a matter of fuzzy logic.  
"Why did you make the coffee in the Brazen?"
"Because I just wanted to this morning."

Like if you asked me, "If you could only ever have one specific coffee bean origin, roasted in one way, and brewed by one method, what would you choose?"
I would answer, "Tea."

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
Burner0000

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Mon Oct 7, 2013, 7:20am

I agree with everyone.  It's all you.. What you like best.  For me..

1. Americano (Sweeter than other brews, all concentrated goodness)
  2. French Press (More body iver espresso)
  3. Pourover (Classic taste)

Depending on my mood and schedule I switch it up all the time but if I had the time to brew all the time this would be my favorite to least out of them all.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Which brewing...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.321868896484)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+