Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Super-automatic office coffee maker
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Super-automatic...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jbebel

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Kyocera CM-50
Drip: Melitta Ready Set Joe
Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 8:38pm
Subject: Super-automatic office coffee maker

I work in a place with a break-room with free coffee. We've had a Cafection Avalon, similar to their Petite X model. http://www.cafection.com/en/products/avalon-series/petite-x If none of you are familiar, I'm not surprised. It doesn't make great coffee, and it has maintenance problems. I'm looking for suggestions for something to replace it.

Here are the requirements:
  • Fully automatic. While I'm a coffee lover, we have a lot of people that just want to press a button and get a cup, and many of them after-hours when no one can maintain the machine or keep fresh coffee brewed.
  • No education needed to use it. We've got smart people, but there's only so much they will do to get their cup of coffee.
  • Grind and brew. We have a good local coffee supplier, and we'd like to keep using their beans, not something like K-cups.
  • Has to support reasonable large volume. We have about 100 people.
  • Make the best coffee possible.

What sort of options are there for something like this? I don't really even know where to look. Thoughts so far:
  • Anything not fresh is out. No K-cups. We want to use fresh locally roasted beans, ground and brewed on demand.
  • Our chef suggested a Bunn Trifecta, but looking at it, I'm concerned it will take too much effort, and perhaps education, to operate. It seems like more than just push-button coffee to me.
  • Something like a Moccamaster wouldn't work because we'll have people that want to get coffee all hours of the day, and on weekends, when there won't be someone around to make it for them.

I realize this might be the wrong forum, since it's about making great coffee, and I'm looking for a way for my co-workers to make easy coffee. I'm just looking for the best automatic coffee maker we can get that's still easy. Anyone have experience in this area, or know where I should look?
 View Profile Link to this post
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 9:36pm
Subject: Re: Super-automatic office coffee maker

Depending on your budget, the Unic Tango Solo impressed at Barista Nation L.A. this weekend. At $14k, it's a serious investment, but I heard several people there say that it was the first super-auto they'd come across where they'd actually drink the espresso it made. Every time I went by the Unic display, it looked like a crowd checking it out.

disclaimer: I didn't get a shot from it, so I can't speak from personal experience, but the crowd there were all serious pros.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 10:50pm

I'm no fan of Nespresso by far, but have you considered getting one of their business solutions machines like the Gemini CS 220 Pro, for example? It's pre-ground coffee, but it tastes better than what some superautomatics brew.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
jbebel

Posted Mon Sep 30, 2013, 11:46am

We already have a Unic Rumba espresso machine. What we're looking for is regular coffee. Something that an uneducated (in coffee preparation) person can push a button and get a carefully prepared cup of regular coffee. The Nespresso doesn't grind fresh beans to make coffee. We'd rather have something that can perform this task completely automatically.
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Sep 30, 2013, 12:09pm

The Tango. isn't the Rumba. It is a true bean to cup super-auto, not a pod system. It'll do from single shots to an Americano-sized cup, plus has milk functions. As i said. it looks to be the super-auto that could. Since you've already got a Unic in the office, you could probably get a good look at the Tango if you ask your distributor/maintenance folks.
christopher197404

Posted Mon Oct 14, 2013, 6:34pm

Seems like office automatic coffee maker are all very expensive, I think you need to consider to buy a coffee machine around 1000$. And the machine need to have a quick brewing function, as no people would like to wait in the working environment. Another thing is, may be 1-cup brewing is the one, we could not let the coffee overbrewed or wasted. Take into the two points in choosing your best automatic coffee maker.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Oct 15, 2013, 11:18am

Honestly, I think that most non geeks would be quite happy with properly prepared auto drip. It does not get much easier than that.

A good grinder such as a Bunn LPG and a plumb in air pot or station brewer.

Take the drip cone from the machine
Put a clean new filter in it.
Put cone/filer into grinder and push start button.
Take filled cone/filter/coffee and place in brewer.
Place empty air pot or station under brewer.
Push button on brewer
Remove cone from brewer throw away used filter and grounds and place empty filter back into brewer.

It doesn't get much easier than that and properly made drip is pretty darn good. Just use FRESH beans not stale bulk beans!

Grinders
http://www.bunn.com/products/grinders/lpg.html
http://www.bunn.com/products/grinders/LPG2E.html
http://www.bunn.com/products/grinders/FPG_2_DBC.html
http://www.bunn.com/products/grinders/G9_2T_HD.html

Brewers
http://www.bunn.com/products/satellite/index.html
http://www.bunn.com/products/satellite/dual_tf_dbc.html
http://www.bunn.com/products/satellite/dual_sh.html
http://www.bunn.com/products/satellite/dual_dbc.html

Or even one of these.
http://www.bunn.com/products/automatic/u3.html

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jbebel

Posted Tue Oct 15, 2013, 2:16pm

Thanks. We're actually looking at one of the Curtis G4 series brewers. It looks nicely programmable to get consistent results. Any reason not to look at that? We're thinking one of the thermal dispensers to get volume. The satellites make me nervous, because anything that puts heat into coffee after it's brewed I've heard has potential to change it for the worse.

This will provide great coffee during normal business hours while we have kitchen staff to keep it stocked. The problem is still after-hours coffee. The weekend security guard doesn't need to make a gallon of coffee, and doesn't really want to go to the effort of brewing a batch when they are used to push-button coffee right now. I think we may have to try to keep one of the Avalon machines running for night/weekend use, but discourage its use during business hours.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Super-automatic...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.233428001404)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+