Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
cold brewing: ratio check and potential DIY options
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > cold brewing:...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
shlegminitism

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mills Andreja
Grinder: baratza v. preciso, Pasquini...
Vac Pot: Electrolux
Drip: v60
Roaster: soon i hope
Posted Thu Sep 26, 2013, 7:06am
Subject: cold brewing: ratio check and potential DIY options

Hello all.  I've had a few successful brews with my new hario mizudashi coffee pot that i purchased off amazon, and from what i could make from the japanese directions is that the typical process is mixing 80g of coffee (i'm assuming a medium drip grind?) with 1150ml of water, and put it in the fridge overnight.  I've done it with medium grind, and then yesterday with coarse (since i forgot to check the grinder setting, so i just gave it an extra 6-8 hours of steeping, and it seems to be fine).  So far, it seems a fairly easy way to make tasty iced coffee.  I wanted to pick the caffeinated brains of my java drinking peers though to see if the ratio of grounds to water seems consistent across the board.

As i said, the directions call for 80g to 1150ml water, though i found that the carafe could hold a bit more.  With a little measuring and calculating, I determined I could use 99g of grounds and 1425ml to better maximize the total volume of the mizudashi.  That comes out to be 14.375ml of water to 1 g of coffee, or 0.69565g of coffee to 1 ml of water depending on whether you have a specific amount of grounds you want to use or a specific volume you wish to achieve.

Do any of you cold brewers use a different ratio, and if not by order of some foreign or domestic set of directions, to what benefit have you found your measurement to deliver?

Also, taking this (or another tried and true) ratio, one could figure larger volumes of coffee if one needed a certain volume for a party or catered event, or just in case someone intended on drinking a few gallons of coffee in a 3-4 day span.  Have any of you successfully bootlegged a batch without the use of a device marketed for cold brewing?  I'm thinking in a pinch, a gallon mayo container and a tube sock from my trunk might could do the trick, but better yet perhaps a chinois strainer or some cheese cloth? I see no reason this couldn't be done large scale without the small, but clever mizudashi, and i suspect that some coffee shops implement such methods.  Can anyone confirm? Has anyone experimented with different ratios/grind settings/etc?
Thanks and happy brewing!
Chris
 View Profile Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Sep 26, 2013, 1:15pm
Subject: ...

shlegminitism

Posted Fri Sep 27, 2013, 5:52am
Subject: Re: cold brewing: ratio check and potential DIY options

Thank you for the informative reply! With something like the Toddy, is their ratio due to the fact that the design of the filter requires a coarse grind? Since the finer the grind is, the more that is able to extract, would it be more economical to use very fine grinds? And how would using finer grinds change the time that the grounds needed to be steeped? It may be that i just need to do some experimenting with some grinds and ratios.  Any idea if anyones studied the flavor differences that can be achieved in 40-100F temperature range? For instance, if you started with 90-100F water, would you get a different set of flavors than if you started with 35F water?  We may be on uncharted grounds (sorry, i had to).
Chris
PandaMatic

Grinder: Hario MSS-1B Mini, Baratza...
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Posted Sat Sep 28, 2013, 7:03pm
Subject: Re: ...

Netphilosopher Said:

Posted September 26, 2013 link

Am I the only one seeing "..." here? Anyone know what's going on?
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Sat Sep 28, 2013, 7:24pm

PandaMatic Said:

Am I the only one seeing "..." here? Anyone know what's going on?

Posted September 28, 2013 link

No you are not the only one. It seems Steve changed his post to "..." -- Not sure why.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sat Sep 28, 2013, 7:45pm

dana_leighton Said:

No you are not the only one. It seems Steve changed his post to "..." -- Not sure why.

he did that to all his post... check his profile. Odd??
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Sat Sep 28, 2013, 8:38pm

CMIN Said:

he did that to all his post... check his profile. Odd??

Yes, odd. We are checking into it.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
UGEN

Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 6:43pm

Just made a cold brewer using my hario siphon stand and a water bottle cut in half with a pinprick hole in the lid. I then placed a wet hario v60 filter over the bottle end and screwed the cap on (to slow the drip rate) then added coffee to the v60 cone with an extra aeropress filter on top!

Click Here (farm4.staticflickr.com)
shlegminitism

Posted Mon Sep 30, 2013, 10:04am

Sounds very Macgyveresque! Any trial runs yet?
UGEN

Posted Tue Oct 1, 2013, 3:38am

I made two seperate brews both being around 20g coffee and 200ml of water pluss ice brewed for around 4 hours! They have been pleasing compared to other cold brews I have tried using a steeping method over the slow drip style. Very low acidity and there is some sweetness there too which I hope I can bring out a little more!
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > cold brewing:...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.323601007462)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+