Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bonavita BV1800 Glass
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bonavita BV1800...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
adekorte
adekorte
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Nespresso Pixie
Grinder: Rocky Rancillo, Baratza...
Drip: Bonavita BV1800,Technivorm...
Posted Fri Sep 13, 2013, 12:20pm
Subject: Bonavita BV1800 Glass

I finally gave up trying to get this coffee brewer to make a decent cup!  The brew from this unit is always tasting burnt and over extracted. The brewing temperature is on the hot side at around 204-207F and that's the problem.  Bonavita wants me to send it to them at my cost so they can test it.  I'm not going to do that! Too much of my time involved. These brewers are not of the same quality or precision of the Technivorm KBTS that I have at home.  From my experience I could not recommend it.  This morning the glass carafe broke/cracked and I'm not willing to buy another one for $22-25 plus shipping, which would be around $40.  I don't believe I will ever get it to brew properly anyway.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
msboo

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Fri Sep 20, 2013, 8:22pm
Subject: Re: Bonavita BV1800 Glass

I've wondered about this myself. My thermal model made good coffee at first then something changed.  I've measured the temp and it's registered up to 206 degrees at times---would bounce between 204 and over 206 but never made it to 207.  I understand that once over 205 coffee becomes over extracted.  Discovered the shower head leaking back in late Spring---wondered how long it was leaking prior to finding that.  I called Cust Serv and was told to go online , etc---when I mentioned the high temp the rep seemed to think it didn't make much of a difference SO I was not too impressed with that response.  I've not had time to get online, fill out info and possibly include a picture (crazy daily schedule w/grandson).

Been thinkin bout getting a Technivorm so may just bite the bullet soon!  I feel as you do, if Bonavita expects me to pay shipping, as with you, on a brewer I've had under a year---ain't happenin' here!
 View Profile Link to this post
msboo

Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 5:05pm

Adekorte....  I checked out different models TV offers, made my choice then lucked out calling our local kitchen store--they had a Technivorm KB741OA. I'm very happy to now have this brewer vs my over-extracting Bonavita. I much prefer glass-lined thermal carafes, been decanting fresh brewed coffee in this manner since the early 90s, and have 3 on hand. My BV is the thermal (glass-lined) and was great to brew directly into but TV thermals are stainless. I'm still going to contact BV cust serv concerning the spray head leaking AND over-heating that's leading to bitter coffee. I hope to fix this BV and keep for backup, have owned it well under a year and can't use it as is now. However I will NOT pay to ship it in for testing---that stinks for them to expect that. I'm hoping I won't be told that and will post here what happens.

Since Bonavita is actually a Melitta brewer that's been sold/used overseas for many years, I trusted it would be reliable. I also accept the fact that some will fail, as that can happen with any appliance. That being said, I have a problem with them asking you to pay shipping on your end AND was very surprised during my initial call that they seemed to think it was ok for brew temps to be 206 plus. Time will tell soon.
adekorte
adekorte

Espresso: Nespresso Pixie
Grinder: Rocky Rancillo, Baratza...
Drip: Bonavita BV1800,Technivorm...
Posted Thu Oct 3, 2013, 10:34am

I think you will like the Technivorm coffee brewer!  I've had mine for over 6 years and it still makes a wonderful cup. To bad about the Bonavita.  I feel very confident that it is the brew temperature that's making the brew bitter and over extracted. I bought the Technivorm for $175 and would buy another one if this one ever fails.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
msboo

Posted Fri Oct 4, 2013, 9:43am

Just used the Technivorm filter basket for pour-over into Bonavita thermal carafe. Brought my grinder but didn't have to haul out my brewer (to daughter's house). Handy, like a Clever Dripper.
steamer
steamer
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV R
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-B Baratza...
Vac Pot: Krubs Moka Brew, vacPot
Drip: TechV, and many more
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Fri Oct 4, 2013, 3:59pm

I have had a TV for quite a while. I got the thermo crafe and the seal broke when it went into higher levation, I got another and it did the same. so I got a Nissin, thermo crafe and it fits perfect under the TV basket. Keeps it nice and hot for a while.
etexlady

Grinder: Capresso Infinity;  Bunn
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, Melitta...
Posted Fri Oct 18, 2013, 2:16pm

I, too, was unhappy with Bonavita's customer service.  I had the unit with the thermal carafe.  I had not had it more than 3-4 months and didn't use it but on the weekends.  While rinsing it the carafe just suddenly exploded.  When I contacted customer service they implied that I must have hit the carafe on the sink or did this or that to cause the problem.  Basically, they said it was my fault.  They offered me another carafe at a discount price plus shipping which I declined.  I have found numerous other reviews about the carafe exploding for no reason.  I just boxed the thing up and put it in the garage.  I did not really care for the coffee it produced anyway.  Expensive mistake.
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Oct 19, 2013, 6:49am

Well I couldn't disagree more . I simply love my Bonavita with the thermal carafe. My coffee never tastes burned or extracted wrong.
Before this I used a Capresso MT 500 for years and years. To me its a solid work horse . But its your money if you want a TV .

Click Here (www.clivecoffee.com)
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
msboo

Posted Sat Oct 19, 2013, 10:42am

Hey ILuvDaBean....  I LOVED my thermal Bonavita until it started over heating--therefore over extracting. What's troubling is their cust serv. IF your brewer over heated (which over extracts) within 6-9 mos of your $150 purchase and they expected you to pay for shipping, etc OR pay for a replacement at a discounted price would you be happy with that?

I love the Bonavita (thermal) look and simplicity of how it operates. It changed my coffee experience and I was a very happy camper. I have always decalcified my coffee brewers regularly and did so with my Bonavita. When it started over heating I thought it might be the beans then the grind THEN I was all over the place trying to figure out what I was doing wrong BUT finally found the over extracting was due to over heating (temps over 205). Should have tried a pour over sooner than later but I'm a busy grandmother---could kick myself for the good beans I wasted trying different grinds & checking beans, only to throw the brew down the sink. I have a good grinder so knew that couldn't be the problem. After some manual brewing I found a Technivorm locally and VIOLA! I was back to great coffee w/auto drip brewer! BIG difference side by side---correct brew temp vs incorrect brew temp.

Wish my Bonavita had lasted longer.
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Oct 19, 2013, 4:38pm

Hmmm well mines fine and they get rave reviews. Amazon has 559 5 star and 50 1 star reviews so these issues arent showing up there. Im sorry you had a bad experience
but before I right off the whole company I need more evidence. Things like user error and not giving the company a chance to correct a situation also could be a factor.
Im not pointing fingers but something doesn't jive because if this were true with all of them we would expect to see massive failures and complaints to the better business bureau.
I say be happy and enjoy the bean,if mine fails you will be the second to know,right after Bonavita.
My thinking on T.V. is ,  why spend that kind of money if it doesnt disperse the water correctly? Thats drip 101.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bonavita BV1800...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.248914957047)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+