Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Adjusting Grind/Temp
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Adjusting...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
UGEN

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sat Sep 28, 2013, 2:11am
Subject: Adjusting Grind/Temp

Hey I've had a lot of good advice from here and I'm finally starting to get brews which I'm happy with! I have been reading up about adjusting the grind size as the coffee ages/is more fresh and I'm a little puzzled how this works.

Will the beans grind on call it "setting 1" to the same particle size as they age as when they are fresh or will as they get older the grind on the "setting 1" gets finer or coarser? And how does this effect extraction. If the particle size gets finer on "setting 1" as they age do I need to adjust my grind a few notches coarser to say "setting 3" to get the same particle size/extraction? Or do I keep the beans on "setting 1" as when they age and become finer they also become more stale and require a finer grind to get the same flavor/extraction?

I'm confused as I'm trying to be consistent with my brews but using the same bag of coffee over a week the results may change day to day which then it's hard for me to see where I'm going wrong!'
 View Profile Link to this post
squaremile

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Sep 28, 2013, 8:20am
Subject: Re: Adjusting Grind/Temp

It doesnt have to do with particle size change, but how the coffee interacts with the water due to oxidation. If you are storing beans properly you shouldnt notice too much difference over a week, but if you could toward the end of the second week. A lot of people will then adjust the grind a small bit finer.
UGEN

Posted Sat Sep 28, 2013, 7:57pm

But will the beans grind differently fresh as they will when they age eg to the same size. I have read that as the beans age they get finer and finer if you use the same setting so do you need to adjust it a little coarser on the settings to keep particle size the same?
squaremile

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Sep 28, 2013, 10:12pm

I have not read that anywhere before your post. Regardless of particle size, you are still aiming for ideal strength and extraction for each cup. If you ground fresh coffee on say '20' on your grinder and got a perfect cup, then two weeks later to get the same levels you would have to grind maybe a '19'. If you bumped it to '21' instead you would underextract for sure. Maybe there is some interaction with the beans grinding differently with age, and to keep the size the same you would need to grind coarser. However, the cups would not be good.
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 1:18am

A number of factors influence the required fineness of grounds for optimal extraction, aging is just one of them. Humidity, for example, can even affect the ideal grinder setting within a single day. Also the single shot basket usually needs a different grinding than the double shot basket. A different variety, blend or batch of beans or a different roast might need some dialing in as well.

As you can see, there's no permanent setting for your grinder, only a temporary one.

Also particle size varies within a certain range even in seemingly homogenous grounds. For espresso a single coffee bean is broken into about 3,500 particles. The graph shows the size distribution for drip coffee, but it looks similar for espresso with its peak at around 200 Ám.

NobbyR: Partikelverteilung.JPG
(Click for larger image)

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
UGEN

Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 5:01am

Thanks for your replies! I will see how I go with the current bag I'm on now! :)
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 7:45am

maybe I missed it, but I couldn't tell if you are making espresso or other preps and what grinder you have.  Espresso grinders produce a bimodal distribution of grounds, ie, there are two different average particle sizes produced at the same time, so the grounds in the basket is a mix of the two...fyi

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
UGEN

Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 3:40pm

Sorry I should have made that clearer! I'm brewing with a v60/Aeropress and have a Baratza Preciso which I also sift the grounds to remove fines!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Adjusting...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.257157087326)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+