Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
which drip machine with non plastic reservoir?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > which drip...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
maltby

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Sep 19, 2013, 12:29pm
Subject: which drip machine with non plastic reservoir?

Krups KM 9008 or Bunn BX-B or Behmor Brazen or Technivorm Moccamaster or Capresso MT600?

As far as I can tell these are the contenders.

Appears to be no clear winner. If it were not for the always on feature, I would go for the Bunn and its stainless steel tank.

The Moccamaster appears to get the job done, but for $300 it seems like you shouldn't have to fiddle with it to get the grounds evenly soaked, and the use of plastic with BPA in it is a negative.

The Brazen is the dark horse, followed by the Krups and the Capresso.

Any thoughts?
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Sep 19, 2013, 12:56pm
Subject: Re: which drip machine with non plastic reservoir?

If you don't want to run the Bunn 24hrs, put it on a appliance timer. Set it for half an hour before you wake up and it will be ready when you want to brew, this is what we do to our espresso machines that take from 30 to 60 minutes to warm up.

Once the Bunn is hot, it only draws enough power over an hour to run about a 75 w light bulb for the same time period. The heater is not on constantly but cycles on and off, it spends much more time off than on, just like an espresso machine.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
maltby

Posted Thu Sep 19, 2013, 2:58pm

What if the machine is left on indefinitely without replenishing the water, as in operator error?

How large is the difference in flavor in any of these machines?
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Fri Sep 20, 2013, 7:07am

The only way it will "run out of water" is if you leave it on while you go on vacation etc. The "boiler" is filled every time you make coffee.

The way the machine works is that the water heater or boiler, is about twice the size of a brewed pot of coffee (give or take depending on the brewer) and it is full of water that is kept at a constant proper brewing temp. The tap that the brew water exits the boiler (it is not sealed so it is not really a boiler but a closed but not sealed tank, kind of like a pot with a lid on it. You will not be able to build pressure but the heat is trapped inside) at the top. The cold water you pour into the machine when you make coffee is metered in its flow and it enters the boiler at the bottom through a tube that extends all the way down. This is done so that the hot water at the top of the boiler is what you brew with and the water entering the boiler is at the bottom where cooler water would be any way (heat rises cold sinks) This slight inflow of water is not enough to mix in the boiler but as the level rises, the water at the top of the boiler flows out and is what you brew with. In this way, the machine is always ready to brew at the proper temp, well when being used at the designed rate for brewing, the new water will need to heat up to but it will be much quicker than starting from cold.

The only way you can run out of water in the boiler is to not use the machine for many days. Just like a pot on a stove at a very low constant heat, the water will slowly evaporate due to being hot. If it is in regular use, there is no danger of the water running low. The Bunn in our office is left on 24/7 and is not used over the weekend, there are no issues with it.

Proper brewing requires proper temp. My PERSONAL feeling is that drip is drip, when brewed at the same and proper temp. I can not taste any difference between the proper temp auto drip machines. Others might be able to but I can't. I own several Bunn drip brewers and they have all (well except for the one I have not used yet  
http://coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/general/641854
 ) give excellent service. I now have 2 VPR APS, 1 Bunn RT commercial 5 pot plumb in brewer, a Curtis pour over air pot brewer, and a Curtis plumb in air pot brewer. All give great results and I would be hard pressed to say which one brewed the coffee in a taste test.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

maltby

Posted Fri Sep 20, 2013, 1:08pm

I have added the chemex to the list (the one with the glass handle). Non plastic at all. Inexpensive.

I have been heating water on the stove and using the basket on my now defunct Mr. Coffee, and it seems like I can handle the extra few minutes of a manual pour over.
MWJB

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Rocky, Lido, Porlex, Hario...
Drip: Not enough room to list...
Posted Fri Sep 20, 2013, 2:03pm

If you're talking manual bewers, does it have to be drip?

How about the Sowden Oscar Softbrew? Needs a coarse, but consistent grind.
maltby

Posted Fri Sep 20, 2013, 2:44pm

Due to the cholesterol consideration, I am looking for something with paper filters
PandaMatic

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Hario MSS-1B Mini, Baratza...
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Posted Sat Sep 21, 2013, 12:10pm

Are you worried about a plastic taste to your coffee? If so, I might actually steer clear of the Brazen. I have one, and although the tank is stainless steel, the coffee definitely had a strong plastic taste for the first week. It's become imperceptible over the last few months, but I suspect if you are very sensitive to plastic flavors there might still be some residual overtones.
maltby

Posted Mon Sep 23, 2013, 1:22pm

I don't want to taste plastic, but I also want to enjoy my coffee without worrying about plastics leaching into my coffee every day.

In the end I decided on Chemex. Inexpensive, guaranteed non plastic and easy to clean. I got the glass handle version. Now I am working on my technique.

Thanks for the input from everyone!
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Mon Sep 23, 2013, 2:20pm

Congrats!
Sometimes, simple and clean is the best! Enjoy!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > which drip...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.364259958267)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+